What's new

What is this movie... (1 Viewer)

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I would like to pick some of your brains here and find out the title of a movie.

The movie is in black and white, my guess it was made in late 1940's maybe in the 1950's. I don't know who acted in the movie.

The story from what I can remember is (I saw most of the film in the 80's, but never saw the end) that all over the world people are hearing messages all at the same time in their own languages and everyone believes its God speaking. For instance people watching TV, listening to the radio, combat fighter jets are hearing the messages. I think they are always being told to tune in the next day at a certain time for a new message.

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Paul

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
That actually sounds familiar. Are you sure it wasn't an episode of The Twilight Zone or something similar?

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Twilight Zone episode, but the concept does fit the tone of the show though :)
I rememeber it being about 90 minutes in length and I watched probably half of it, but couldn't finish watching the movie.
Paul

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
That film would definitely be William Wellman's THE NEXT VOICE YOU HEAR (1950, MGM), starring James Whitmore and Nancy Davis (later Reagan). TCM plays it every once in awhile.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Peter M. Fitzgerald wrote:
Not that I think you're wrong, 'cause I don't, but since the description is a little vague I thought that perhaps what Mr. Medenwaldt had in mind might, instead, be The Red Planet Mars (UA, 1952), directed by a Harry Horner, an almost unbelievable product of its time.
Bill Smith's Link Removed:
"An American scientist contacts Mars by radio and receives information that Mars is a utopia and that Earth's people can be saved if they return to the worship of God. Revolution sweeps the Earth, including the Soviet Union. But there remains doubt about the messages being genuine, as an ex-Nazi claims he was duping the Americans."
I have heard of, but I don't believe I've ever seen, the Davis (Reagan) film.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I will be checking out both of these movies, but from the descriptions of the movies it sounds like "The Next Voice Your Hear" maybe the one i'm looking for.

Thanks for you input!!

I'll let you know the results.

Paul

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The Red Planet Mars ends with the revelation that an atheist scientist claims he has been bouncing the signals off Mars and back to Earth to show how gullible people are. But then comes a signal from Mars which he didn't send. The final shot is of people crowding into churches and 'The End' superimposed, replaced by 'No ... The Beginning'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks