What's new

What is the fastest processor my MOBO can support (1 Viewer)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
A while back I bought a remanufactured Gateway 1.4 Ghz from Tiger Direct that I then stripped down and transferred everything to a nice ANTEC case. Well, 1.4 Ghz ain't fast enough and I want to replace the processor but I have no clue as to what my mother board can support. I can't find any markings to tell me the brand or the chip set. All I can see is that it uses four sticks of RAMBUS memory which cost me dearly to upgrade to 512 megs.

So can anyone tell me how I can find out more info on my motherboard so I can tell how fast of a processor I can put on it.

I have no problem buying a new motherboard/processor combination but would I would like to avoid it. I play with hardware too much at work.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I can't answer the question- but often finding one of the handful of processor models that will give you an upgrade (and no doubt the series of processors available for the board max out at 2.0, maybe)-- it will cost 80% in time and money as simply buying a new mobo and proc...

At least in my experiences of trying upgrades.

-Vince

Kelvin Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I'd agree with Vince, but I love to waste money trying anyways ;) Thats why my 900 was upgraded to 1400, and overclocked to a 1600. It's fun but not really economically sound in the long run.

But to answer your question, probably the easiest way to answer the question (hopefully) is to get into the BIOS screens and see what processor options are listed. At least in my Abit bios, it list all of the valid processor choices right there.

KT

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
get the gateway model number usually on back of the old case you replaced, will tell ya everythying you want to know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks