What's new

What is the differance between these two drives? (1 Viewer)

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Fibre channel is a connection interface. You'll note that the second drive lists "80pin" in the description which is the more conventional scsi interface.

Cameron_Peck

Stunt Coordinator
I was not considering SCSI but when I saw a 18GB drive for $30 I became interested. I looked for a controller card and the cheapest one I could find was around $150. That kind of ruined it for me. I am trying to decide if it is worth the extra money to go with SATA. It costs more now but will I be glad I did it in a year or so?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I was not considering SCSI but when I saw a 18GB drive for $30 I became interested. I looked for a controller card and the cheapest one I could find was around $150.
SCSI is not cheap and never has been. Now that ATA/100 and ATA/133 are giving just about the same performace with respect to data transfer rates, it's difficult to justify using SCSI for home use.

Obviously, SCSI has many advantages, not the least of which are hot-swap abilities and being able to have dozens of drives on the same SCSI chain.

But from a straight cost perspective for the average user, SCSI is very difficult to justify in comparison to IDE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks