What's new

What is the best way to test a/v receivers at the store? (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I know I should bring my own cd and dvd to use in all tests so that variable is the same. I assume that I should use (if possible) the same speakers with each different receiver. Should I set all bass and treble adjustments to 0?

Or is there a specific mode that should be common to all receivers (direct mode maybe?) that I can set so there is nothing to spice up the sound so I can get a pure sense of the sound at the heart of the receiver? I assume also that I should just use a pair of stero speakers?(i.e, no sub, no surround, etc... So what do you think? What is the best way to conduct these tests? Oh! One more question. What do you think is the best type of music to test a receivers ability?

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Take your own CD, and use the largest full range quality floor towers you can find. 15" woofer if possible, 12" will do if it's a good one. What you are trying to do is eliminate the speakers and source in the equation. For 6.1/5.1 take your own DVD with a section of music or sound preselected.

And in my opinion, two 6" woofers is not even close in sound to a 15" quality woofer.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
One other piece of advice would be to select a time when your ears are the least "cluttered". For myself, I would arrive at the shop first thing in the morning and start enjoying the sounds. If I listen to systems after finishing up a day of work and then driving a little in traffic with my own car stereo turned up, I don't find my listening to be very objective at that point in the day.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Take your favorite CD-DVD. There is really no substitute for trying equipment in your home with your speakers. The sound of receivers does vary some, but trying to compare in a showroom might be tricky at best.

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful when comparing receivers at the shop that they are set at similar output level. I once had a dealer who lplayed one receiver slightly louder than the others. This gave the false impression that it was better as we all know that louder generally gives the impression of sounding better. You may even condsider bringing your own SPL meter.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Excellent point by JohnSC. An increase of less than 1 db will be perceived as sounding "better". Dealers have different profit margins on different brands. Some brands even pay the dealers kick backs (called spiffs) to push a brand. Bose is notorious for this. That is at least one reason no one will discount Bose.

Artie

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Wayne you said a mouthfull. When I'm ready to do quality listening I don't even turn the car radio "on" on the way to the store. :D

The best way overall if you have a credit card big enough, or your local store lets you take a demo model home and get a couple or 3 that your interested and hook them up in your listening area. Just make sure that if you buy one they will let you bring it back. You can find out alot about the product in the store like build and features, but when it comes down to what matters, sound, I think you have to test it in your house before you commit yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks