1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What is tempvt.exe?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin P, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Last week while doing some clean-up I found a file called tempvt.exe, in a temp folder (not my system temp folder, but one I created for other stuff). Since I couldn't figure out what it was, I did a google search, and came up with a number of possibilities, including it being a HP scanner driver (uh-uh), or even a virus (not likely). I have a screen shot of the properties page so you can see the icon. There are no copyright messages or other text strings in the .exe file--I looked. It's about 28K in size.
    I figure it is something I downloaded but forgot about, but I have no clue as to what it is. I don't even recognize the icon, but it certainly isn't a HP icon, such as if it was a scanner driver. I scanned it with Norton, Mcafee, and AdAware but nothing malicious was detected. Anyone on here have any ideas?
    Here's the icon:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks... KJP

2. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

It kind of looks like a net2phone icon. I wonder if it's that?

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Brent - that was it! Thanks!

Now I don't know how the heck it got on my PC in the first place. I don't have a HP scanner, so I woulnd't have downloaded it deliberately. Maybe it's a loader for other stuff too. And that isn't a HP logo either. At least it's not a virus.

KJP