What's new

Blu-ray Review Forever Marilyn Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ShowsOn /t/322736/forever-marilyn-blu-ray-review#post_3957128
Try looking for a firmware update for your player. The disc plays fine on my player.
And I can confirm that the U.S. and Australian discs are exactly the same images.

Did a firmware upgrade. I was WAAAAAAY past due. My Panasonic BD-55 was running version 1.2 (pre-2008) and I just updated (after jumping through some hoops) to version 2.4.

The extras in How to Marry a Millionaire play just fine now. Thanks, Simon.

But...I just checked...and it had no impact on the Bonus Features in Chaplin. Go figure.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /t/322736/forever-marilyn-blu-ray-review#post_3957346
But...I just checked...and it had no impact on the Bonus Features in Chaplin. Go figure.

Same here with Chaplin. Both machines are up to date.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
Thanks, Matt , for your very concise and precise evaluations ..
When the set was first annouced , I was dismayed to see so little was being done to give these BRs the royal treatment on this the 50th anniversary of Marilyn's death..as someone noted, Fox has never shown MM the respect and attention on home video she so richly deserves. When I mentioned this on Amazon, some critiic said I was prejudging these BRs unfairly. But except for SEVEN YEAR ITCH , none of these classics have worthy supplements. But I am glad that Fox released them on BR .Hopefully BUS STOP and NIAGRA and even LETS MAKE LOVE will eventually see a BR release, too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got the feeling that some of the supplements on the Seven Year Itch disc were intended to serve as an overview for the entire box, but each of these films in the set are deserving of more analysis, even the often maligned There's No Business Like Show Business due to its wild assortment of musical stars, the collection of both old and new Irving Berlin tunes, and the genuine talent working behind the scenes to make this movie work. There should have been at least an audio commentary for each movie.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
MILLIONAIRE, in particular, demands at least a commentary honoring it's status as one of the first CinemaScope films.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Okay: where is Bus Stop? Is it being remasterd or what? The absence of that title in this collection is shocking!!!! Also, why didn't they add the AMC documentary on Something's Got to Give (featuring the reconstruction of the completed footage)? Maybe Fox is preparing a Volume II with those titles and Let's Make Love, Niagara, Monkey Business, and Don't Bother to Knock. Just an idea.......

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think many of us would be shocked if it ended up that Fox never releases a volume 2. It makes sense to hold back some titles.

That said, I'd rather they just release a big complete set then later on break it up into smaller releases and be done with it.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/322736/forever-marilyn-blu-ray-review#post_3957724
I think many of us would be shocked if it ended up that Fox never releases a volume 2. It makes sense to hold back some titles.

That said, I'd rather they just release a big complete set then later on break it up into smaller releases and be done with it.
Considering how many Fox movies Marilyn appeared in, that would be a prohibitively expensive proposition for most of the membership. It makes more economic sense for them to roll out the catalog in stages, as Fox appears to be doing and make the titles available individually at the same time. Just look at how many forum members are griping about the expense of the 50th Anniversary Bond box set...

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
I would love to see the other titles in BR especially the ones in widescreen and in color --- maybe a deal could be struck with WB to include THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL - it is a truly gorgeous film and not released in the correct aspect ratio in the U.S.. I was surprised that with all the interest MY WEEK WITH MARILYN created for that film, it has not been issued on BR>
Also fans would love to have the two documentaries Fox made on SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE including the reconstructed version in 1080p plus the unseen and underrated 1963 documentary MARILYN which collects some wonderful scenes from most of her Fox films( her film debut - SCUDDA HOO SCUDDA HAY - is missing - her one line to June Haver is "Hi Rad") The film has additional SGTG footage and also a widescreen version of "Diamonds are a Girl's Best friend" as the finale.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Re: Seven Year Itch...Has anyone else noticed that during the last 1/4 of the movie (after the iconic blowing dress up on subway grate)...during the scene when she is sitting in front of the air conditioner and hiding behind the chair when the janitor comes in...and then she stands up...from that point on, when all 3 actors in the frame that there is some kind of a red miss-alignment on the right side of her white dress (or anything white), a red edge shifted to the right on anything white ? It remains apparent and the image quality deteriorates from that point on too, then the red edge shift disappears and the image quality comes back to the expected sharp quality AFTER the scene when she comes down the stairs in a white nighty? It almost looks like what we were used to seeing when we used rear projections that needed vertical alignment. Or the when the old 3 strip Technicolor was out of alignment. Anyone???

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
moviepas said:
I don't see The Making of the Misfits on the Misfits disc. Never culd get the DVD they released of that.
Would have been an excellent addition making the disk more worthy of a 50th Anniversary status.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
thanks for confirming Christian , seems like someone was asleep at the wheel during that segment (4 minutes or so)... Netflix is currently streaming SYI, (full frame after credits!)...whatever, I cued that scene, no problem with that same segment, no red shift. So it was definitely an easy problem to fix, just FOX screwed up and their QC missed it. Very bothersome to me. I know to some this may not be as monumental as the West Side Story overture screw up, or the My Fair Lady mess...but to me it is and FOX should fix this and issue a replacement disc. I am surprised on this forum no one else has mentioned it. Also, this is the disc from the box set, I am wondering if the individually sold SYI has the same problem …

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
bjwmovies said:
thanks for confirming Christian , seems like someone was asleep at the wheel during that segment (4 minutes or so)... Netflix is currently streaming SYI, (full frame after credits!)...whatever, I cued that scene, no problem with that same segment, no red shift. So it was definitely an easy problem to fix, just FOX screwed up and their QC missed it.
I don't know about it being an "easy problem to fix" based on the old full frame transfer not having the issue. I'm sure that transfer was made from a completely different element long before this new HD transfer. The Restoration Comparison on many of the Marilyn DVDs stated that most of the negatives had faded badly and the separation masters were used to make a new element suitable for transfer, so it appears that perhaps something went awry in that process or one of the matrices has shrunk at a different rate than the others.
Warner's Ultra Resolution process can fix this, you're right.

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Thanks Chuck, I agree. And that is what I meant, using an Ultra Resolution process like Warners. When you see what they did with titles like Singin in the Rain, you would think FOX would have given this title the same "spare no expense" process. I haven't seen the other Marilyn titles yet, started with this one. Also you would think that with SYI that they would have found more instances of matrice shrinkage throughout the film where this would have been also evident...why just one 4 min segment of the film when the rest of the film pretty much sparkles? Lastly, if they could not fix the problem with the new separation master, maybe they could have found an old master just of this segment and make it look acceptable, I am sure they could have done more than just let this be. I think FOX gets lazy sometimes and cheap. Their Marilyn titles deserve only the best treatment.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I watched "River of No Return" over the weekend and was positively STUNNED at how gorgeous it is throughout. This is the best I've ever seen this title. It was like I was seeing it for the first time although I've seen it six or seven times.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I hit Wal Mart and got all these as individual releases.
Gentlemen Prefer Bondes loks god, but has an oddly flat looking quality - no depth at all to the picture. the 5.1 stereo is complete BS and is just bloated mono.
Hot to Marry a Millionaire looks and ounds great
Same with No Biz like Show biz.
ONe oddity this film had on the old DVD. There is the scene, early in the film, where each member ofthe Donahues does there own section of Alexanders
Ragtime Band. On the old dvd, when it came to Mitzi Gaynors solo, here voice was almost non existent on the 4.0 track, but fine on the 2.0
ON the Blue, the 4.0still has this error. but the 5.1 is fine.
Seven year Itch color is no thrill, but to me, it is partly the fault of the look of the film. - everything happening in a drab looking fifties apartemtn or an even drabber looking fifties office. And the sets LOOK like sets. they don't look kike someone actually lives or works in them.
River of No Return , to me, is NOT an improvement.
much of the film is shart very dark - at night, or in the dark woods. But I could always see it just fine.
Not here, the openinig scene is in the minig camp and the next day at Mitchums cabin - a small cabin but bright day light. even in broad daylight, itwt was hard to see inside the cabin, the wood,s in the bar at the end, when Marilyn sings the title song.
Sad about he lack of extras extras. I wish that Fox vid would look for some better trailers.
River of No Retun uses a flat trailer rather than a true scope trailer
How ot marry a Millionaire uses a flat, black and white, early teaser trailer with no scenes from the film, rather than the real trailer, which Foxs used for the laserdisc version

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.