What's new

Blu-ray Review Forever Marilyn Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
River of No Return looks great to me. OK, I know I going to get flamed on this and how we are not supposed to look at screen caps but check these out on caps-a-holic . Big difference compared to the DVD.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Fox may have screwed up on the packaging for the boxset but they should be commended for giving people the option to buy individual titles in standard blu-ray packaging. I hate it when studios don't give you that choice and expect you to buy a large overpriced set just to be able to get some exclusive titles or special features (especially when the set also contains other titles you already have). I already had Some Like it Hot and The Misfits on Blu-ray and appreciated being able to pick up just the 5 new titles. I am going to hold off on the Hitchcock, Monsters and Bond sets and get the individual titles I want if and when they become available separately.
-D

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Deepak Shenoy /t/322736/forever-marilyn-blu-ray-review/30#post_3961156
Fox may have screwed up on the packaging for the boxset but they should be commended for giving people the option to buy individual titles in standard blu-ray packaging. I hate it when studios don't give you that choice and expect you to buy a large overpriced set just to be able to get some exclusive titles or special features (especially when the set also contains other titles you already have). I already had Some Like it Hot and The Misfits on Blu-ray and appreciated being able to pick up just the 5 new titles. I am going to hold off on the Hitchcock, Monsters and Bond sets and get the individual titles I want if and when they become available separately.
-D

I certainly agree with you about the convenience of selling the individual titles separately. If I hadn't gotten the set to review, I certainly would have done what you did: buy the individual releases as I already had the two previous Blu-ray releases.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Amazon has this on sale this week as part of their Blu-ray deal of the week.
Price is $41.99

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great price!
I picked up many of them from Costco and Wal Mart already.
The 2 I have left to watch are the Westerns. The Misfits and River of No Return.
The last one I watched was There's No Business Like Show Business. I thought this one was ok, but it was not my favorite.
Seven Year Itch was probably my favorite so far. Some Like It Hot is great too.
I really hope Fox releases another wave or set of titles very soon!
I waited to get the Monroe movies until they came to blu ray.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Thanks for posting about the price. Even shipped to Canada it was too good a deal for me to pass up with our dollar on par. I threw in Singing In The Rain for $10 compared to $17 cdn for the blu. I'm set! :)

The only film in the set I've seen is River Of No Return, so I'm really looking forward to these!

(I know, i've made a huge life error having not seen Some Like It Hot..... soon to be rectified!)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Quick note. I saw this blu ray set today at Costco for $24.99!!!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Currently $19.99 at Costco after $5 instant off. Many instant off deals now at Costco.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Are the instant-off deals readily identified in the store?

I was in there yesterday and I always check the (pathetic, even in this holiday season, actually they're at a new all-time low) DVD/BLU section, and wasn't aware of any such deal going on with any product.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Chas in CT said:
Are the instant-off deals readily identified in the store?  
I was in there yesterday and I always check the (pathetic, even in this holiday season, actually they're at a new all-time low) DVD/BLU section, and wasn't aware of any such deal going on with any product.
I was in earlier. They had one of those magnetic signs under the Forever Marilyn set. $5 discount until 12/24.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Some stores have the signs up others do not. The discounts should scan at check out . DVD/blu ray supply vary by store. I know the Norwalk CT store has signs and a fairly good supply of the sale items as of Monday including the Forever Marilyn set.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on another set of Marilyn Monroe films on blu ray? I saw that a couple of the titles were listed in the Fox blu ray poll on the HTF homepage.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Osato said:
Any news on another set of Marilyn Monroe films on blu ray? I saw that a couple of the titles were listed in the Fox blu ray poll on the HTF homepage.
Sadly, no news. Don't Bother to Knock and Let's Make Love were nowhere near winning in the votes, so we can only hope for another box set sometime soon.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I know nothing and have heard nothing about another set, but I have to think if last year's set sold anything at all, they'll follow up with the remaining big titles they have left: Niagara, Bus Stop, Let's Make Love and hopefully the documentary Marilyn and maybe some of her supporting role appearances like Don't Bother to Knock, Monkey Business, Clash by Night.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
I'd like for Warner Bros. to make a box set, modest as it may be, of the three Marilyn films they have the rights to: The Asphalt Jungle, Clash by Night, and The Prince and the Showgirl. But I also echo Matt H's sentiments, and would love a Volume 2 box set with Marilyn's other *major* Fox roles: Don't Bother to Knock, Monkey Business, Niagara, Bus Stop, Let's Make Love, and Fox's studio-produced documentaries: Marilyn and Marilyn Monroe: The Final Days. And we can throw in the A&E "Biography" episode, Marilyn Monroe: The Mortal Goddess, too. As fun (and small) as her early Fox roles are - As Young as You Feel, Love Nest, Let's Make It Legal, We're Not Married, and O. Henry's Full House - I am in no hurry to see them in HD, and certainly don't need them padding out a set when she has little-or-no presence at all in these films. It's like how Fox used to include The Thin Red Line in their "George Clooney Collection" sets even though the guy has a cameo at best.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
MattH. said:
I know nothing and have heard nothing about another set, but I have to think if last year's set sold anything at all, they'll follow up with the remaining big titles they have left: Niagara, Bus Stop, Let's Make Love and hopefully the documentary Marilyn and maybe some of her supporting role appearances like Don't Bother to Knock, Monkey Business, Clash by Night.
Is Clash By Night even a Fox film? And don't forget about the revonstruction of Something's Got to Give. It'd also be cool to see Fox wrangle the rights to The Prince and The Showgirl from Warner and include that in a future set.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Lromero1396 said:
Is Clash By Night even a Fox film? And don't forget about the revonstruction of Something's Got to Give. It'd also be cool to see Fox wrangle the rights to The Prince and The Showgirl from Warner and include that in a future set.
It's an RKO film, so it resides at Warner. I mentioned it in my above post. :P

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
Marilyn Monroe is second billed in DONT BOTHER TO KNOCK - so Id call it a starring role and one of her most interesting :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.