What's new

What is SVS's new sub? (1 Viewer)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I've seen a few things from Tom V. about the new SVS sub. Things like:
The unit will have user adjustable tuning(ala' PC+ for example). In maximum extension mode...it will extend down to the 6-9hz range in the typical room. In maximum output mode(tuned around 25hz)...it approaches 130dBs. Like all subs, as you tune it lower(increase extension) you'll trade off a bit of maximum output capabilities at each tuning step.

It will be a passive enclosure that we will package with a large amp and a parametric EQ(or you can purchase the subwoofer itself separately).
Now I was milling over what I know of subs and low frequency reproduction and I honestly couldn't think of what they could be using to achieve those goals.

It sounds like it's ported (unless it has an adjustable LT). Now how can they get 130dB in room from 2m away with a ported box that can also extend into single digits?

Are we talking like 4 15" AV15 drivers in a large sealed box with a LT and 2400W or have Tom and the gang stumbled onto something special?

My Tumult design is pretty nutty, but anechoic on it only places it to 118dB in room across the spread and it runs out of steam in the low teens. I know that to create low frequencies you have to move air. The Tumult is the biggest and baddest 15" around, so they have to be using several 15's or something even bigger than a 15. I don't think it can be a horn because they can't play that low in any reasonable size enclosure.

Any ideas?

Seth

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Adding more fuel to the fire:
I think it is *about* 94dB/1w/2m...groundplane.Using what seems to be the industry standard for *sensitivity*---in room at one meter---we're looking at 106-109dB/1w/1m for a corner loaded unit(using 6-9dB for boundary reinforcement
I also gather from other threads it might have 4 active drivers. Tom confirmed it needs 5kW to find the 10% THD mark.

Seth

A

Anthony_Gomez

And lets not forget Adires Entry into the "sono type" subs. Can't wait to see it at CES!!!
http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...es/sadhara.htm
COMING SOON: Adire Audio unleashes the ultimate cylinder subwoofer at the 2003 CES. A totally unique PVSTM venting system, custom subwoofer driver with our patent-pending XBL2 TM motor which yields more linear stroke than any driver in any other commercial subwoofer system, proprietary cabinet system with over 10 times the rigidity of any other cylinder sub cabinet, and over 20 unique finishes to choose from. More performance than ANY subwoofer system available for under $2000 - all at a price under $1000.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
So, back to my speculation, how do you port an enclosure with that much power? I know you can't really port the Tumult because it moves too much air and ports that are large enough to be quiet don't fit in the box. This thing steps up to another level from the Tumult, so how can it be adequately ported if it's "a bit larger than a BW ASW4000"? For your reference a ASW4000 us about 2' x 2' x 2'.

Seth

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, just for the heck of it, I'll mention that no where does it say it is using a port. Could be a PR enclosure, which would still allow the user to adjust the tuning freq. Just pull the PR...add weight...done. I have no idea if this is true...just an observation.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I could be wrong, but from reading TV's posts I think he'd be more likely to go with dual 12" drivers and two mega PR's. I don't remember where I read it but he said something about with the research they've done they couldn't justify the cost of 15" drivers for the minor improvement in performance...or something to that effect.

A

Anthony_Gomez

The price of going from a 12 to a 15" driver from an assembly house point of view (such as Destijl, Stryke, Lambda) really isn't that much. You are only talking 10-20 all things being equal.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Well, I did take his words a little out of context but here is what I was talking about:
I have been experimenting with a bunch of different 15" drivers for well over a year now...maybe closer to two years. And? Well... I have built,measured,rebuilt,re-measured a couple dozen different enclosure designs...over and over and over in that time.
One issue with going from a 12 to a 15 is the consumer's perception that you will automatically see a performance gain that corresponds with the increased cone area...let's say 75% in this case. Well...MAYBE...if you can add 75% more effective enclosure volume...then 75% more port area...
In other words, (and I'm sure you already know this---just speaking to everyone wondering about the question)...it might be BETTER to use a 12" driver in a 5ft enclosure with say 20 sq-in of flared porting than a 15" driver. So we don't have any 15s right around the corner...but I would be a bit surprised if we don't have a 15" model or three out in 2003.
So, he didn't say anything about costs, but that 15" drivers are not necessarily the best way to go. But since he seems to say SVS will have a 15" model out next year then I guess for this particular design it just might be the best thing. :)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I'm really intrigued by what Tom's been saying.

94db sensitivity, 25Hz extension? That would necessitate a pretty large box, given what I think I know about the iron law. And if it can achieve 130db at 25Hz, how is it vented? Tom has stated his opposition to PRs... but that sounds like a heck of a lot of port area. And of course, what kind of driver is this thing going to use?[!] I also am curious as to how much SPL we'll see at 7Hz. Anyway Tom/SVS, keep it up, you guys are continuing to lead the subwoofer industry with your innovation.

The Adire Sadhara seems priced to compete with SVS' currently existing lines given its stated

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Could he be talking about maybe a horn loaded system. With the amount of headroom and efficiency it looks like a multiple driver, horn-loaded system. Would seem like a depart form the tube like subs but it would correspond to the db he is hitting. Or perhaps it is just a multuple sub and box(tube) system.

A

Anthony_Gomez

ya,...but a horn system will be much larger tha a 22" cube if it is to extend as low as stated

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Oh I think whatever the design may be we won't see any 22" cubes from svs:) And I guess 5000watts is not much if you consider 7-10hz output.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Look at this quote as well:

The unit will have user adjustable tuning(ala' PC+ for example).
That would lead me to believe that it is indeed ported. The PC+'s have 3 3" ports and come with port plugs so that the owner can plug 1 or two of the ports for lower extension. Maybe he's simply stating that it's user adjustable without specifically saying that it is ported.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Well, just for the heck of it, I'll mention that no where does it say it is using a port. Could be a PR enclosure, which would still allow the user to adjust the tuning freq. Just pull the PR...add weight...done. I have no idea if this is true...just an observation.
I don't think so. PRs have a hard enough time dealing with a single Tumult.

Right now I'm leaning on the 4 15" drivers in a sealed cube with some sort of adjustable LT.

Seth

A

Anthony_Gomez

I don't care what you people THINK it is...I know!
it is a horn loaded metal box with a belt feed of marble sized C4. The conveyer belt drops the "marbles" through an arc like you would find on a taser..and whallaa...instant 130db :)
..the only thing keeping the sub on hold is the occassional 50lb bag of marbles making a really big "subwoofer sound" :D...thus depleting all of the bass:frowning:

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Bah... this thread was at home in the DIY forum. That's where all the serious bassheads are at with the knowledge.

Remember boys and girls, "Knowledge is Power"

Seth

A

Anthony_Gomez

I agree seth...the DIY forum is the where REAL bass is appreciated AND understood :D
ok...maybe understood is a bit strong of a word. We TRY to understand the demon.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks