What is SVS's new sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seth_L, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I've seen a few things from Tom V. about the new SVS sub. Things like:

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Adding more fuel to the fire:

3. And lets not forget Adires Entry into the "sono type" subs. Can't wait to see it at CES!!!
    http://www.adireaudio.com/home_audio...es/sadhara.htm

4. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

So, back to my speculation, how do you port an enclosure with that much power? I know you can't really port the Tumult because it moves too much air and ports that are large enough to be quiet don't fit in the box. This thing steps up to another level from the Tumult, so how can it be adequately ported if it's "a bit larger than a BW ASW4000"? For your reference a ASW4000 us about 2' x 2' x 2'.

Seth

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Well, just for the heck of it, I'll mention that no where does it say it is using a port. Could be a PR enclosure, which would still allow the user to adjust the tuning freq. Just pull the PR...add weight...done. I have no idea if this is true...just an observation.

6. Or it might be a cube with 4 15" drivers...one on each of the vertical walls [​IMG]

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I could be wrong, but from reading TV's posts I think he'd be more likely to go with dual 12" drivers and two mega PR's. I don't remember where I read it but he said something about with the research they've done they couldn't justify the cost of 15" drivers for the minor improvement in performance...or something to that effect.

8. The price of going from a 12 to a 15" driver from an assembly house point of view (such as Destijl, Stryke, Lambda) really isn't that much. You are only talking 10-20 all things being equal.

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Well, I did take his words a little out of context but here is what I was talking about:

10. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I'm really intrigued by what Tom's been saying.

94db sensitivity, 25Hz extension? That would necessitate a pretty large box, given what I think I know about the iron law. And if it can achieve 130db at 25Hz, how is it vented? Tom has stated his opposition to PRs... but that sounds like a heck of a lot of port area. And of course, what kind of driver is this thing going to use?[!] I also am curious as to how much SPL we'll see at 7Hz. Anyway Tom/SVS, keep it up, you guys are continuing to lead the subwoofer industry with your innovation.

The Adire Sadhara seems priced to compete with SVS' currently existing lines given its stated

11. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Could he be talking about maybe a horn loaded system. With the amount of headroom and efficiency it looks like a multiple driver, horn-loaded system. Would seem like a depart form the tube like subs but it would correspond to the db he is hitting. Or perhaps it is just a multuple sub and box(tube) system.

12. ya,...but a horn system will be much larger tha a 22" cube if it is to extend as low as stated

13. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Oh I think whatever the design may be we won't see any 22" cubes from svs[​IMG] And I guess 5000watts is not much if you consider 7-10hz output.

14. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Guys,

Look at this quote as well:

16. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

17. I don't care what you people THINK it is...I know!
    it is a horn loaded metal box with a belt feed of marble sized C4. The conveyer belt drops the "marbles" through an arc like you would find on a taser..and whallaa...instant 130db [​IMG]
    ..the only thing keeping the sub on hold is the occassional 50lb bag of marbles making a really big "subwoofer sound" [​IMG]...thus depleting all of the bass[​IMG]

18. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Bah... this thread was at home in the DIY forum. That's where all the serious bassheads are at with the knowledge.

Remember boys and girls, "Knowledge is Power"

Seth

19. I agree seth...the DIY forum is the where REAL bass is appreciated AND understood [​IMG]
    ok...maybe understood is a bit strong of a word. We TRY to understand the demon.
    [​IMG]

20. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Any idea how much this new SVS subwoofer will cost?