What's new

What is John Carpenter up to theses days? (1 Viewer)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I've checked The Internet Movie Database, his website and some other sites out there. Doesn't seem to be anything new on him. Most don't seem like they have been updated since Ghosts of Mars. Just wondering if anybody has heard or read anything.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I heard that he was going to direct Helloween, while Clive Barker wrote the script, but Moustapha Akkad put a stop to that in favor of another Halloween sequel. :rolleyes:I would've loved to see this film with both the series creators back at the helm, but oh well. Haven't heard a thing since then.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
He's actually working on a documentary about John Ford, one of his heroes.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

I for one would have enjoyed Helloween and thats the only thing that would have brought me back to either franchise. How can Akkad greenlight Yet Another Halloween movie which should have ended for good after H20 but not greenlight something with new ideas?
I remember reading too many people objected but why?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I just got the new issue of Empire and had a lengthy interview with Carpenter. Here are a couple of the questions that are relevant to this thread.

Empire: It's been a while since your last movie. Have you officially retired?

Carpenter: I'm not sure. Certainly at the moment the only thing going through my mind is an unbridled laziness. I'm chilling out, doing nothing. My life is one big holiday. And I like it. But I haven't decided whether i'm retiring or not yet. I thought I was, but i've also long been of the never-say-never mentality. When I first started out, movies were an unnatural obsession. Then they became a compulsion. That compulsion is still there. As much as I try, it won't go away.

Empire: What's with all these rumours about The Thing 2?

Carpenter: I have a great story for Part 2, which kicks off with the two characters left alive at the end of the first one. I'm interested in doing it. Unfortunately, I don't think Universal is. Well, it's interested in doing a sequel, but it's just not interested in having me direct it! You know, the studio will end up getting some young commercials hotshot to do it, and that'll be that. I don't care, i'm certainly not going to beg. These people didn't even get the original, despite the fact that it's my favorite movie of my own.

Empire: Given the recent Freddy vs. Jason picture, how would Michael Myers do in a three-way battle royal?

Carpenter: He'd kick their asses. Well, the original Michael, my Michael, he would. The modern Michael wouldn't stand a chance. These days all the Halloween sequels have xeroxed the formula to the point that it just isn't scary anymore. It's depressing.

Empire: Would you ever come back and direct a Halloween sequel?

Carpenter: Well, my motto is: never say never. I have some ideas up my sleeve that would fucking blow you away. Watch this space.

Gotta love JC. :)

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
If John carpenter isn't busy doing another movie, he could always approach New Line about doing a Special Edition DVD of In The Mouth of Madness because there are some deleted scenes (2-3 different workprints have shown some scenes that were cut from the final movie). Even the trailer shows scenes not in the final movie. also JC could try to get Columbia to put out an SE of Ghosts of Mars (he mentions some outtakes on the commentary track that aren't on the DVD).

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Kenny Goldin

Second Unit
:eek:
I read that 30 seconds ago and I am already ready to be fucking blown away.:D PLEASE MAKE IT! (And the Thing 2 please!)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Yet Another Halloween movie which should have ended for good after H20"

Dont you mean Halloween 2 :) I wish that they had given Carpenters idea for the Halloween sequels another chance - leaving Micheal dead and doing other horror stories dealing with Halloween.

For years he also talked about making a modern Creature From The Black Lagoon, which would be very cool - not sure what happened with that.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

...now that is an interesting statement...I wonder if it was a joke?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks