What's new

What Is It With Silver Cabinets??? (1 Viewer)

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
[rant]This whole "let's make every TV out there silver so J6P will think it's a plasma" is really getting old.[/rant]

My gas fireplace is built into the corner of my living room, and can do double duty as a TV shelf (complete w/cable jack and electrical outlet). Instead of powering up a HT system and an RPTV, I'd like a reasonably priced 27" (preferably flat screen) TV to set up there for when I want to watch/listen to the news, etc.

Unless I want to buy GE(no), RCA(no), Sharp(no), Sansui(no), Advent(no), or Apex(no) -- there's really nothing out there -- and even those are getting hard to find.

Sam's Club has a JVC unit that might work (but I have a JVC DVD and VCR and that was enough for me...). They also have a Panny unit that would work, but it's available only online, and I think it's silly to have to have a TV shipped. And -- none of these are flat screen.

Except for my champagne Panny RP91 DVD, all my components are black -- my rack is black, my TV is black, and my speakers are black. Not to mention, my room is tan and black -- silver really won't look good.

Any ideas? I like that smaller black Samsung 16:9, but I already have one expensive TV in the room -- I can't justify another.

Thanks,
Mike

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
I've got the same problem. I'm shopping for a new tv also and I noticed that the majority of sets are now silver encased. All of my gear is black so this is annoying for me more than anything else. Told the wife we would have to upgrade everything to silver gear so the new tv would match. I got the look.:D

It seems that the only black cabinets out there are either on very small screens (30" or less) or on huge RPTV's. I've got a 40" maximum width to work with (entertainment center with closing doors) so I'm looking for a 36" 4:3 or 34" 16:9. Not many black cabinets in those dimensions out there.:angry:

Let me know what you find.

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
You could always buy whatever set you want, cover the screen with painters tape, then paint the cabinet whatever color you want.:rolleyes:

Seriously though, if one were really interested, could a cabinet be removed and then painted?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
A friend of mine has an auto body shop & he has spary painted many tv's black or dark gray. Most of them were Sony's when they first came out with the flat tubes in silver. You might want to do a search on this because there is a guy on this forum who found some "removable" black film that he covered his Sony tv with. I don't think he wanted to paint it incase he ever wanted to sell it he could just remove the film. I also have friend's that got black Contac Paper (Shelf Paper) & used that. The guy with the removable film looked all over this country for a company that had "truly" had removable film & finally found the company.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
hmmm...not the biggest handyman around -- not sure if I want to tackle that...

I wonder how long it will take for the trend to come back the other way??

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I don't know, but this is getting silly. Most electronics in the early 80s were silver, then around 86-87 they started going to black, and now they're going back to silver! At least come up with a new color or something if you're gonna change it, though I like black the best!

SeanA

Second Unit
You might want to do a search on this because there is a guy on this forum who found some "removable" black film that he covered his Sony tv with.
I am that guy.

Mike, do a search for the words "black" and "silver" and I think you will find the thread. The contact paper was a piece of cake to apply and it is holding up very well.

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
OK, I've found this unit @ $439 -- they have 2 left at Sears. They sold the floor model at Circuit City a few weeks ago...

27" Black Panasonic Flat Screen

I like the way it looks, but it's a joke that it is $40 more than the silver unit.

Any thoughts?? It's a little pricey for last year's model, I'm approaching low end HD sets w/this...

THX, Mike

Clint B

Second Unit
I wonder why Sony didn't stick with the dark grey cabinet that it had on its WEGA in 2001. I have a 2001 27" WEGA that has the dark grey cabinet. It goes much better with my other black components than silver would.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks