What's new

What is HDMI (1 Viewer)

Clark Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
I have an HDMI port on my new TV. I know it has something to do with HDTV.

Is that what transmits the signal? Do I keep it and the cable hooked up at the same time?

John S

Senior HTF Member
HDMI is a recent type of DVI connection...

It is used for 100% digital connection from output sources like DVD and/or HDTV Sat boxes / Set top over the air boxes.

It adds some sort of copy protection in addition to the older standard DVI interface.

KenKusan

Grip
HDMI stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface. It's video and audio cable packed into one cable. Some newer receiver models have them.

PaulT

Supporting Actor

You may be thinking of HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection).

Right now HDCP over DVI allows high def digital signals to be transfered from source to display in secured format (you cannot copy it).

You should be seeing HDCP over the HDMI connection as well as HDMI is backward compatible (at least the video portion) with the DVI connection.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Just think of it as being a Yellow Video Jack a Red Audio Jack & a White Audio Jack all combined into one Big Jack but only for "DIGITAL" Products. There arn't too many products out yet that even have it but there will be in the future so be glad your set has one & instead of having 3 cables running to your tv you will only need one. It's main purpose right now is for HDTV & Progressive Scan DVD Players. As far as I know there are no DVD Players out yet that have that Jack but there are some on the way & there are a few DVD Players that have a DVI Jack which can be connected to the HDMI Jack using an adapter cable that you can buy for around $20.00 The big difference between the Old DVI Jack & the New HDMI Jack is that the Old DVI only carried a Digital Video Signal & the New HDMI Jack carries BOTH Digital Video & Audio Signals. Whith the Old DVI Jack you still had to use the Red & White Audio Jacks thus the New HDMI Jack is just one wire instead of three.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks