What is a phase plug?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by GrahamT, Mar 31, 2004.

1. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I read that Adire is redesigning the "phase plug" on the new 4" XBL^2 driver to increase the high end frequency extension. I cant figure out what a phase plug is and have had no luck searching.
    Can someone please explain what part of the driver this is and how it affects frequency response.
    Thanks

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

It's the little cone shaped device that's placed right in the middle of the driver. They smooth out the high frequency response.

There's one in this pic.....

[​IMG]

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Thanks Thomas,
    Is it an extended part of the pole piece or is it part of the diaphragm like a normal dust cap.

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Scroll down to near the bottom of this page to see pictures of a phase plug I added to some drivers. I cut off the dust cap with a small, very sharp, hobby knife.

5. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Thanks Tim. So they are tapered "bullets" that sit on the pole piece right? Cool website BTW

6. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

They are just a bit smaller than the spindle (1mm or so)and sit inside on top of the pole piece. This eliminates what is typically a hollow chamber under the dust cap that can create that little bit of HF distortion that makes you say, "what the heck is that?".
    Thanks.