What input to use on X1.....

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike LS, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

My DVD player is interlaced, but of course, has component outputs. Would I be best served using a direct s-video connection or component to VGA converter? Would there be much difference between the two? I don't plan to use the VGA input for anything else.

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Since the X1 is equipped with the excellent Faroudja FLI2200 DCDi de-interlacer chip ... it depends. Some of the more expensive progressive scan DVD players will have a better internal scaler, but many do not.

You would probably need to at least try running your DVD player interlaced into the X1's s-video input and see how it looks to you.

In my case, the interlaced signal from my Panasonic S35S player looked better than the component signal. To test motion artifacts I used the opening scene of Star Trek:Insurrection. With both the projector and the player in 16:9 mode (natch!), the player's interlaced s-video output, processed by the X1's internal Faroudja chip, was noticeably smoother than the component output.

I've had my X1 close to three months now, and it continues to "knock my socks off" every time I power it up!

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I'll have to give it a try then. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the $10 to get the VGA converter from Infocus. Guess it can't hurt to have.

4. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

The VGA port will not accept an interlaced signal, you need to get the component to s-video adapter for interlaced component sources. You use the VGA port with a progressive scan DVD player.
    The s-video port has 3 extra pins, so it can function as an s-video or a component input.
    The faroudja doesn't work on the VGA input.

5. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

You will find that the component to svideo will be your best picture. I have run a number of configurations and for all but the best Faroudja powered progressive DVD players this is the best connection.

Using svideo to svideo will give you more artifacting and the colors tend to be slightly off.

Enjoy your X1, it is a great PJ.

6. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I am wondering if this is true for PAL source material, am I right in assuming the Faroudja chip is a lot more important for NTSC material than it is for PAL? 3:2 pulldown is not an issue with PAL right?

I will be able to campare for myself in a few days when my component to s-video adapter arrives. I am using a Denon 2200 prog scan as my source.