What's new

What have Denon 3802 owners upgraded to? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I'm curious as to which pre/pro or receivers that former Denon 3802 owners have upgraded to.

I currently use a Denon 3802 as pre/pro along with a Sherwood AM9080 amplifier and the sound is quite good with both digital and analog. I plan to keep the 3802 but am trying to come up with a list for a 2nd pre/pro for an HT room and would like something at least equally good and preferably better with 6/7 channels. So far for under $2K new or used the Denon 4802, Lexicon DC-2, Rotel 1066, and Sony DA-5es come to mind.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using my 3802 with a Citation 7.1 running my Diva 6.1's and a Acurus a200x5 running the rest of the my Diva 2.1's, C3 and R3's. I am going to purchase the Outlaw 950 when (if?) my name ever gets up on the ship list.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
If you want a pre/pro then I would probably rule out all receivers. Why buy the receivers amp if your not going to use them?

The Rotel & Outlaw seem like the most popular choices due to their price and all the features that you get.

Lexicon is very good but lacks some of the features of the Rotel & Outlaw.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Greg,
I'm short an amp or two for 6.1 or 7.1. A receiver could power the surround backs. I guess I'm not all that convinced the standard formats (DD, EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DPL-II, etc) will really sound that much different between a good receiver as pre/pro vs a dedicated pre/pro. Something like the Lexicon or Sony 9000 es pre/pro (or DA-5es receiver) which have formats and tweakability to enhance 5.1 material like Logic7 or Cinema Studio EX may be beneficial.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I just sold my 3802 this past weekend and "borrowed" a EAD Theatermaster Encore to check out. I have been waiting on the Rotel but my other dealer is out.

Just hooked the EAD up last night and didn't get to spend much time listening to it but I was surprised at the small improvement over the 3802 (initial impression). A little more detailed than the denon but not drastic. I'll have to listen more to make sure but I'm beginning to think that the jump to separates from a receiver used as a pre/pro really isn't that big a jump. I'd say based on what I heard last night that the EAD is only 10-20% better sounding on 2 channel audio. This in inline with my other experiences of comparing pre/pro's and receivers. I think adding my 5 channel amp to the denon made more of an improvement than going from the denon to the EAD.

This is just my perspective. I love HT but wouldn't consider it a life enveloping hobby. If your on a quest for the ultimate sound and constantly upgrading and listening for something that you don't like, then you may feel the small improvement is much greater.

I think the law of diminishing returns is playing a big role when stepping up from the already good level of a 3802 as a pre/pro to separates considering the actual difference/improvement in the sound.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I would have thought that going from a seperate pre/pro from the 3802 would have been a bigger jump--especially since I am looking forward to the Outlaw as everyone has said how good it's HT performance is. I have a seperate tube pre-amp for music. Is there is only a 10%-20% increase in HT performance as well?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Dan,
I haven't tested HT yet. I'm repainting my surround speakers so I tried some 2 channel out first. The most notable differences would be in 2 channel anyway. HT performance will be even harder to tell a difference, typically.
Remember, this is just my opinion and I'm not one to make statements like "the difference is huge", becuase in reality, they usually aren't when you keep everything in perspective. (I tend to be more analytical and less emotional)
I'll probably still go for something like the Rotel 1066 since the price isn't out of this world and the performance is there.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Brian,
Interesting that the EAD is only a small step above the 3802 for two channel. It's always noted for being excellent on stereo. Which speakers and amplifier are you using btw? Please let me know your impressions on the Rotel if you get one since it's one of my top considerations!

Any other members with upgrade experience from a Denon 3802?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks