Help, New Denon 3802 vs. Refurbished Marantz 8200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattCPT, Jul 22, 2002.

1. MattCPT

MattCPT Stunt Coordinator

I was just about to buy the 3802 today at 6ave for $699 if they still had it at that price. Then I see that some people are having problems with it going into stand-by mode and a lot of people complain about the remote and functionality. I also have seen the Marantz 8200 refurbished at accessories4less.com. This seems to be a great receiver with a computer port for upgrading, better DAC's, better video switching and better remote. The only problem is that I have heard the 3802 vs. the Onkyo, Yamaha and Sony 5ES. I know that I like the sound of the Denon better than these offerings, but I have never heard the Marantz in an A/B comparison. I have contacted the dealers within 50 miles of me that sell the Denon and the Marantz and all of them are custom installers and they don't have the two hooked up for an A/B comparison. The two owners that I spoke to said that they thought the Marantz sounded better and was more reliable. They had nothing to gain because I explained my dilema, and they were aware that I was going with an online dealer.

I would like to know if anyone has heard the Marantz vs. Denon and what you think. I found the Denon to be very musical compared to the other companies, but I always hear that the Marantz is also very "warm" and musical.

Is the 8200 (list $1,700) at $1059 a better choice considering the features and ability to upgrade?

My choice is down to these two.

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Matt,

Read this month's (AUG) Home Theater Magazine if you haven't already. You owe it to yourself before shelling out any serious $. The 8200 is superb...max out the warranty and you're set.

PS: I generally recommend the 3802 but between these two there is no contest IMO.

3. John Bejster

John Bejster Auditioning

Matt,

I am in the same situation as you are. I have had my heart set on a Denon 3802 for some time now (I used to have a 3600) until I went to a local retailer and heard an A/B comparison of the 3802 vs. Marantz 7200. I must say that both I and the salesman were surprised by the difference in the sound between the 2 receivers. The Marantz had such a bigger soundstage and seemed much more dynamic in its sound reproduction. And this was the 7200!! It even prompted the salesman to take my phone number to call me in case the Denon was set up wrong! This was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a thing. So now I too have recently learned of AC4L.com and the killer deal on the 8200 and can only imagine how much better still this receiver would sound vs. a Denon 3802. If I get a chance to get out to that retailer again (45 min. away), I will definitely want to hear an A/B of the 3802 vs. the 8200. I'll keep you posted if I get out there again.

John

4. MattCPT

John,
    I'm a little surprised that you found the Marantz that much better. I only say this because I found the Denon to be noticeably better than the others I tested, especially the Sony (very harsh IMO). I was only hoping to hear that the Marantz was at least as good in sound. If it is noticeably better sounding than I would almost certainly go with the refurbished 8200. I'm very interested to hear what you think of a direct A/B with the 3802 and 8200. I hope you have a chance to do that REAL soon[​IMG]
    Keep me updated.

5. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I did a direct comparison between a Denon 2802 and the Marantz 7200. They cost basically the same in the store I A/B'd them. I was set out to buy the 1802/2802. When I went to the store, there was a single 7200 there and I told them I wanted to hear it just for info.

After that, I was converted to a Marantz fan. The sound is really noticeably better. It should be played in Source Direct mode, definitely (for music). But I guess it depends on the kind of music you listen to. The Marantz sounded great with classical, vocals, broadway musicals, acoustic, new age, jazz, etc. But when I play rock like Linkin Park in it, it sounds bad. Or maybe the recording of Linkin Park and also my new wave CDs are bad to begin with.

Movies sound great to. I just watched Amelie and I am Sam last Sunday and the sound was superb!!!! I don't even have a separate amp.

My friend ordered the 7200 after I bought mine. He's on a waiting list now. It's hard to get Marantz nowadays. At least here in the Philippines.

6. Tommy_W

Tommy_W Extra

Wow it was 699 for a while?? Or was that for the 3801?
    I am in the market for a receiver right now too for my new HT [​IMG] Shopping around is pretty fun so far

7. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

I received my refirb 8200 3 days ago, and am just now getting to play with it. The soundstage is nice and warm sounding (I have the Klipsch ref series, which are a little on the bright side).

The remote is cool - but I have a lot of programming in my future. It is a little un-intuitive, but once you go to the pains to set up the macros, it will be great. The backlit touchscreen rates high on the wow-o-meter with guests.

The unit came in perfect condition - not a single blemish. I have my digital cable using a digital audio, and my dvd is hooked up with a TOSLINK cable for audio. The analog audio is noticably quieter than digital. It there any way to try to EQ the levels a bit? My friend says the same thing happens on his Yamaha.

It does take a few seconds to lock-on to the digital audio signal as it is switching modes, but this is something I can overlook due to the great sound.

How it compares to the Denon I can't say. I don't have a local source for Denon until this fall when the local shop picks up the new model line.

By the way, the Circle Surround is awesome. I believe it is their take one DPL-II, which it also has. I like the CS better, and it sounds great for audio.

I'm off to go try and pick up the Home Theater review of it.

8. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I tried both of these receivers.

The Marantz has a noticable delay when picking up a digital signal. Some DVD players lessen the problem, but my player had up to a 2 second delay at the beginning and layer change of every DVD. It was very distracting to me. The remote was OK, but I am not a fan of touch screen remotes. On the other hand, the sound is wonderful so if you can deal with the delay get the Marantz!

The Denon was just OK in my opinion. Music in direct mode was great, but any digital signal (CD or DVD) sounded too warm and a little dull (this is with Paradigm speakers). I will admit that I am in the minority in thinking that the digital processing is dull. At least there was no delay with the digital signals!

IN conclusion, Marantz definately better sound, but delay picking up digital signals. Denon good direct mode sound, OK digital processing (dull sound), nice remote.

9. MattCPT

David,
    You say that the analog signal is quieter than the digital. When you turn up the volume on the analog does it sound the same or is the sound less detailed/muffled vs. the digital?

Tommy,
    The $699 price is quoted on the 3802 came from 6ave.com.

10. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Anyone know what the crossover frequency of the Marantz 8200 is? I'm surprised Home Theater Mag. didn't mention it in their review.

Thanks,
    Greg

11. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Gregory,

It's 80Hz...THX. And it's not adjustable.

And the probable reason Fleischmann never alluded to it is because Marantz barely mentions it themselves. I think it gets a single mention in the manual in the speaker setup description...almost an afterthought.

Paul

12. DavidVTHokie

DavidVTHokie Stunt Coordinator

MattCPT-

Yeah, the analog is quieter than the digital - not by a huge margin, but enough that you need to either volume-up or volume-down as you go from one to the other. As far as how detailed it sounds, I haven't done the double-blind listening test yet, but it sounds good.

I've only really "listened" to the amp while watching a few DVDs so far. I have watched cable on it, but I was paying more attention to the show than listening to the amp. I'll take a real listen tonight after I attach the banana plug ends on my speaker wires.

Also, the learning remote was easy to program (which I did last night) However, when programming some buttons in learn mode, I could never get it to take. I'm not sure what's up, so I'll give marantz a ring. Still, I'm pleased as punch.

13. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Paul for the response on the cossover frequency. At least it's not their beloved 100 Hz.

Greg

14. Milt

Milt Auditioning

I have been lurking for a bout a month here as I have been evaluating recievers, Denon and Marantz. After listening to a 1802,2802,3802, sr8000, sr 6200 and a nad 761. I determined to me the nad and the Marantz sounded "much" better for listening to music, mainly jazz and classical. So I got a refurbed sr8000, and it is about the best sounding reciever I've ever had for sure. I can only imagine that the sr8200 as a comparable sound with a few more bells and whistles that I don't need.(but it sure is pretty [​IMG]). BTW Pearl Harbor sounds awesome. So I would highly recommend the Marantz. I also got mine at AC4less.

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Any Canucks finding the SR 8200 refurbished anywhere? How much would it go for up here in Canada land? I imagine its probably a good upgrade from the SR 6200.

16. MattCPT

I finally had a chance to see and listen to the Marantz 7200. I also saw but didn't hear the 9200. I'm interested in the 8200 but the dealer didn't have one in stock. I was impressed by the build quality of the Marantz. To me the Marantz seemed better constructed and not as plastic feeling as the Denon 3802. The remotes where "way" better IMO.

As far as the sound goes, I don't know. The 7200 sounded great, but so did the Denon 3802. I listened to the 3802 vs. a Yamaha, Sony DA5ES and Onkyo 797. I had the chance to do this with Mirage speakers that are similar to my Definitive Technology BP-30s. The Denon was the clear winner. The Marantz sounded great but it was matched with B&W speakers that are much different then mine and there wasn't any other receiver to A/B the Marantz to.

I left feeling that the Marantz 8200 would probably be my best option, but it is refurbished and $360 dollars more than the 3802. The money isn't a big deal, but sound and reliability are. The Denon 3802 seems to have more reliability problems than the 8200, but is that just because more people on this forum have bought the 3802. Anyway I'm still torn between the two. I'm leaning towards the 8200 but I'm not confident. Any opinions on the 2 would be appreciated.

17. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I A/B both of these 3 times before I finally made up my mind and bought the Denon,even though I found the Marantz slightly superior for music.They were so similar for movies that I could not tell them apart.I went with the Denon for 2 reasons.#1 price,here in Canada the Marantz was $2200,while I got the Denon for $1370 ($815 U.S.).#2 my last receiver was a Denon and it was great so there was a bit of customer loyalty.Basically if music is as important to you as H.T. and money is not a big issue I would get the Marantz.But if your like me and you use a receiver for 80% H.T. you can't go wrong with the 3802.I love mine.Hope this helps.

Wayner

18. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have always found that Marantz is better for two channel music (warmer more fuller sound than Denon) but on movies Denon has superior processing. Also I have found Denon amps to be better built than Marantz's. They just have more juice for those dynamic scenes. If you plan on using a separate amp (for atleast the two fronts) then I would say go with the 3802. $700 for a 3802 + $300 for a decent used separate amp (around 100 W x 2) will kill the Marantz anyday, both in two channel and HT IMHO.

If I were you I would go with the 3802 and get a B&K, Rotel or a Parasound 100Wx2 amp and never look back. But thats just me.

19. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Yogi.

Wait, do you need a sperate amp for the 3802 in order to get 7.1? I thoguht this receiver had everything built in?

20. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Donnie, the 3802 has 7 amps built in so you dont need a separate amp for 7.1. All I meant is if you are more into 2 channel music and you feel that Marantz is better for it, you can buy a used 2 ch amp and beat Marantz in two channel music as well. If you are into HT then dont worry about Marantz and just get the 3802. It will keep you happy for a long time.