What's new

What happened to Vista Series and Ultimate Editions? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
A while back, it was in vogue for studios to come up with these "premium" DVD lines, and it seems all the major studios, (except Paramount) came up with some type of Premium Special Edition line.

It seems hit or miss as to the companies that seem to be sticking with it. Columbia has been churning out the Superbits, although the Superbit Deluxes are few and far between. Fox seems to have abandoned the "5 Star Editions", Warner has been steadily sticking with the 2-disc Special Editions, and New Line has very slowly (albeit with some crappy movie choices) been releasing "Infinifilms", but it seems as though Universal gave up on the "Ultimate Editions", and Buena Vista on the "Vista Series".

I think Universal missed the mark with the Ultimate Editions, so thats no big loss to me, but I really enjoyed the Vista Series discs. I thought they were very well, and tastefully packaged, and the supplements were nicely done, instead of rehashed crap like a lot of studios use.

I realize BV just released Roger Rabbit as a Vista Series, but other than that disc, the last ones were Tombstone and Pulp Fiction over a year ago. I also don't recall hearing of any newly planned Vista Series...

Sorry for the long thread, but I guess I was just curious why, in the day and age of special editions up the yin-yang, why the studios aren't committing to these "premium labels"?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Anyone know of any future vistas? Pulp Fiction wasn't a Vista but the 4 disc Pearl harbor was.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Signs: Vista Series was released in January.
But the supplements of that single-disc release pale in comparison to the other multi-disc releases that carry that moniker. It's really not clear what Buena Vista wants that brand name to signify, which might explain why it seems to be just dying away.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
Mightas well just call the vista series the M NIGHT SHAMYALAN collection. Because thats what all his movies are released in.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
But the supplements of that single-disc release pale in comparison to the other multi-disc releases that carry that moniker.
I'd say it has more than Unbreakable's 2-disc set which just had a 13 minute making of, an 18-min comics featurette, and deleted scenes.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I'd say it has more than Unbreakable's 2-disc set which just had a 13 minute making of, an 18-min comics featurette, and deleted scenes.
Oh, I'd agree. Which gets back to my point that Buena Vista is killing the Vista Series line (if it's not already dead) by putting out inconsistent releases, with Signs and Unbreakable being far inferior in supplements compared with titles such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Tombstone and Pearl Harbor.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I don't think any of these premium brands have truly lived up to what they should. There are a few exceptions though.

Fox Five Star Collection - I think every Five Star release was great. This is the one brand where the company worked hard to make it great, and then just abandoned it due to other branding issues.

Vista Series - I have all the vista series up to this point, and I think most are fantastic. I was disappointed with both signs and unbreakable, but the rest where great. This could be a strong brand if they would make sure each release is quality, and do a few more of them.

Superbit - For me, these are not that special. Panic Room is the only Superbit I own, the rest are SuperBit deluxe. I think this brand has it's place, but they hurt it with the fact that most of the Superbit releases are sub-par films.

Infinifilm - I own about 3 of these, but solely because of the film. The "Infinifilm" brand hasn't really done anything that would make me purchase an infinifilm release over a standard release. They counter this by releasing films solely in infinifilm versions. Not really a complaint, I just don't see it as a quality brand overall.

Ultimate Edition - I defy anyone to show me a single Universal ultimate edition that is really that "Ultimate". They created the ultimate edition brand and then subsequently drove it into the ground. Why is it so "Ultimate?" Because it has a full screen transfer on disc 2? No thanks. Legend may be the only exception to this sad Universal rule.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Hey, the Meet Joe Black Ultimate Edition was cool too. That said I never saw Universal's Ultimate branding as being a premium product in the first place.

Of all the premium brands out there most are pretty average. In fact now MGM has taken to using DVD14 and DVD18's so both wide and full screen transfers can be included their Special Editions often come out pretty good. At the moment MGM probably have the best documentaries on discs. Who would have thought that a couple of years ago?

The saddest is Disney's VISTA series as the last two releases have seen it slowly sink down the toilet. Signs was poor - the supplements may have been OK but the film quality did suffer and the packaging, just as much part of the VISTA series as the supplements was plain. Then when they release WFRR they include a full-frame transfer? How is that compatiable with a series supposedly dedicated to "vision, imagination, style, theme and artistry"? It's not. Even the so-called simple European "Collectors Editions" weren't lumbered with a full frame transfer.

I don't think we'll see any VISTA releases in the future - Disney's shortsightedness has killed their reputation.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
crossing fingers for:
TRAINSPOTTING SE
SPLASH SE
ROMY & MICHELLES HIGH SCOOL REUNION SE

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
What? No one has mentioned WB's "Premiere Collection", or Disney's "Gold Collection"? I bet the average head of marketing stays in their job for around 2 years, after which a new guy or gal comes in and must reconceive every brand to put their own stamp on things. :)

Regards,

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm waiting for the special "Full Bitrate DTS-ES" line of DVDs from every manufacturer.

Considering out of maybe 250 DVD's I have one that has a full DTS bitrate (Interview with the Vampire) that I know of.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Just because Meet Joe Black is the "only" release, doesn't make it the "ultimate" release. At least in my mind. There is only one release of Happy Gilmore. I pray that isn't the "ultimate" release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
At least Meet Joe Black had the original film, Death Takes a Holiday, on it, which in my opinion is a great idea. Unfortunately, it made me hope that the Scarface '83 release would be similar.:frowning:

I too was sad to see the Vault Disney line go, but after seeing 20,000 Leagues, I guess it's still kicking to a degree, although that's probably more due to the fact that it was in production to be a vault.

I don't really care what they call a release, as long as the movie is presented the way it was meant to be seen and the extras are good and don't compromise the feature, I'd just prefer that they release it this way the first time, instead of re-releasing everything with different features.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm still holding out hope for the rumored Dick Tracy Vista Series release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks