What's new

What happened at the Staddon chat? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Which is why I hope he likes the idea of getting his car washed by Bill Geiger. I want License To Drive, too!

Right after it was over and the chatting was unmoderated again, someone point out that they'd forgotten to ask about Scavenger Hunt. That's another one that I would desperately love to see.

I was *BITTERLY* disappointed by the answer to "Two Of A Kind". I know it's not the hottest film around as far as most people are concerned, but I *love* certain aspects of that film, and even if it's not John & Olivia's finest moment as a team-up, it is something I'd buy on street date. Cool tunes, too.

I'm very pleased that Cocoon is almost here! Thanks, Fox!

By-the-way, Gord's absence from the chat was due to a cable outage at home (I've never asked, actually, but I presume from that remark that he uses a cable modem service). He's back up now, though.

I've posted the 5 "for sure" TV-DVD titles as news items at TVShowsOnDVD, of course. I'll have a complete wrap-up of TV related news from the chat tonight. Afterward, I'll post more of my thoughts on that subject here.

Ron, Packy, Simon, and especially Peter: It was a great chat, and one of the best I've ever attended. Kudos on a pretty smooth ride, and Peter is THE MAN for agreeing to keep taking questions for extra rounds. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron, Nick Graham's question that had Peter's reply lost was in regard not only to Alien-related items, but also to whether Tales From The Crypt would make it to DVD. I obviously am interested in the latter answer. If possible, Ron, can you obtain from Peter what his reply to that was going to be? Thanks!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I think it'd be great if the likes of Blue Underground starting releasing cult movies in Fox's catalogue like The Driver and Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
The Innocents was on AMC just the other night. Butchered with pan&scan and commercials, of course. It was still a great viewing experience. I had never seen it before and I'm surprised it's not more well-known. Every bit as good as Robert Wise's The Haunting.

Mr. Staddon, if you're reading this thread, please do check it out. I'd buy it in anamorphic widescreen in a heartbeat.

Real Name
Anthony
I'd also like to add my support for a release of THE INNOCENTS. It's currently unavailable even on video, as far as I know, so even a bare-bones disc would be more than welcome.

I'm also really surprised that BIGGER THAN LIFE isn't being considered for DVD release. A new print of this quite brilliant film was recently shown at the NFT here as part of a James Mason season, and I had hoped this might be an indication of a future release, hopefully as a Studio Classic.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Damn! I just realized I forgot to ask about Andy Richter Controls the Universe. Oh well, maybe next year.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am amazed about how many shows Fox will be releasing in the coming year. Their might even be shows released that no one asked about.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Here's my summary (not complete like the transcript, but pretty good, IMO):

TV Shows on DVD:

Remington Steele - Later this year
Garfield - Series and specials later this year (to tie in w/ movie) "Big year for Garfield"
Millenium - This year
Harsh Realm - This year
Lost in Space (additional seasons) - Depends on sales of Season 1 (out today)
Space: Above and Beyond - Perhaps later this year
Doogie Howser, M.D. - Looking into it
Arrested Development - Being looked at

Films:

300 Spartans (currently delayed) - May 2004 release to tie in w/ Troy
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Being worked on (possible Studio Classics release)
Zorba the Greek - Later this year
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - No date set as of yet. Possible double release, a 1-disc and a 2-disc set.
Predator: SE - This summer to tie in with Alien Vs. Predator
The Fly: SE (1986) - Later this year
True Lies: SE - Not anytime soon
Raising Arizona: SE - No plans at this time
Cocoon and Cocoon: The Return - Both in a couple months
The Chase (1994) - This year
Heaven Can Wait (1943) - This year, studio classics release
Paris, Texas - Looking into it
Lifeboat - Possible studio classics release
The Crucible - Later this year
Mrs. Doubtfire: SE - Later this year
Star (currently delayed) - In a couple months
License to Drive - No current plans
Girl 6 - Looking into it
Wise Guys - Looking into it
Two of a Kind - No current plans

Also, he mentioned that they are hoping to do a Film Noir Classics line this year.

And the biggest news is that they licensed out about a dozen titles to Criterion. Though he wouldn't specify which titles, we already know that some of these titles are Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, Kagemusha, Three Women, The Leopard, Pickup on South Street (already announced by CC as coming in February), and Unfaithfully Yours.

And I do find it funny that Peter and Ron (not in transcript) insisted on calling me Brad. ;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
An emergency came up so I wasn't able to make it. The only thing I was going to ask about was Laura, but I was certain it would be asked by someone else. How depressing that we still don't know what the hell is going on with this title. :frowning:

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Did anybody catch this from PS:

Of course, Rebecca Gayheart was in "Earth 2", not S:A&B. Do you think Peter may not know what he's about to release?? ;)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
An odd coincidence.....

Just the other day (before the P. Staddon "chat"), I e-mailed FOX Home Entertainment about 4 of my "Most Wanted" movie titles.

Just now got a response. (Sad to say it was negative all around. :frowning:)

I asked:

>> Can you tell me if any of the following FOX films are being considered for an eventual DVD-Video release? .....

The Innocents (1961)
Leave Her To Heaven (1945)
No Highway In The Sky (1951)
Call Northside 777 (1948)

Thank you.

---------

Got this reply:

>> Hello,

Fox has no plans to release the titles in question at this time. I will forward your request on the corporate office so they can see what the public would like to see on DVD.

Thank you,
Megan R
Fox Consumer
1-888-223-2369
1-888-443-4369 Fax
[email protected]
[email protected]

Greg_P

Stunt Coordinator
That line surprised me as well (I had asked the original question). I too hope Peter was talking about Space Above and Beyond being released.

I also hope Fox still has the rights to the Alien Nation tv show. Peter seemed responsive to releasing Alien Nation tv shows if Fox still controls the rights.

Greg

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Innocents is one of my most-desired Fox titles, together with the MIA Laura. Both of them great classics that deserve to get the full-blown Fox Studio Classics treatment.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
He also didn't seem aware that "2 Guys, a Girl, and a Pizza Place" was all one title. He mentioned "2 Guys..." was coming, but that he knew nothing about "Pizza Place." :laugh:

Not to razz Mr. Staddon, but I found it funny. He obviously has more on his plate than any mortal can be expected to keep straight at all times, yet he continues to do an amazing job anyway. :) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
That must mean he thought that "A Girl" was a separate flick as well. (He must have thought the questioner was a looney or somethin'! :))

I guess it would have been beneficial to write it this way, then, huh Malcolm? .....
"2 Guys, a Girl, And a Pizza Place". ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Actually he did say "2 Guys and a Girl" is coming, but that he wasn't working on "A Pizza Place." ;)

They dropped the "pizza place" from the title in later seasons, so perhaps they've just dropped it from all references at Fox HV (and his involvement in active TV series is probably close to nil anyway, so he may never have heard the original title).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
OK, Malc.
Makes more sense now.
Thanks.

(Beats me, actually .... for I've never heard of ANY of those three films -- "2 Males", or "A Single Chick", or even "A Certain Pizza Pie Eatery". ;))

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
In season 3 the med student stopped working at the pizza place, and it no longer was a set for the show. So the title was changed for the last to seasons to just "2 Guys and a Girl". I'm sure that all references to it these days at Fox HQ are using the shorter, more managable title. :D

Also, I'm unsure if Peter was actually "confused", as it might appear, or if he was just putting us on. It WOULD be an excellent joke if he was! All he really needed was a winky. :wink:

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one happy that Two Guys and A Girl is coming out? I sort of watched it when it was originally on but got hooked on the WE reruns when I was sick last year.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale

I may have missed it, but I don't think Peter mentioned this. One of the participants suggested this, but I don't think he said that they're thinking about it.

And here's one more vote for a new release of Romancing the Stone (and Jewel of the Nile, while we're at it). Peter, I would imagine that there are a lot of us out here who have not bought these titles only because the existing releases have developed a bad reputation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks