What's new

What happened at the Staddon chat? (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Yes.

As to True Lies, there is very little doubt that 9/11 had to do with the original delay. Once that was "lifted" (when the existing DVD was removed from moratorium a few months ago), they probably started thinking about getting that SE under way. Then Gray Davis was recalled, and you know the rest.

If a sitting governer HAS done a DVD commentary before, I'm sure it would be Jesse Ventura. :D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
One important point that was made last night which is often overlooked in our excitement to get product released is that the studios not only have to create the discs, but they also have to figure out ways of actually getting them into the market in a way that is most beneficial to sales. Peter said (paraphrased) that the studio is always looking for a way to promote catalog, whether it be a tie-in with a remake or similar popular film, or some other way of getting more bang for the release buck. Fox and everyone else is in the business of releasing their titles, but the timing is affected by many factors - rights, access to useable elements, access to talent for SE material, and equally important to their bottom line, a way to make the public aware of a certain title amongst the thousands of others being released.

I'm not really that worried about studio owned titles making it out or not, it comes down to waiting for the most opportune time to release them.

These chats are a prime opportunity to let our wishes be known, but we shouldn't become discouraged if our most sought after title isn't immediately on the slate. Sometimes waiting is better.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
By the way, regarding The X-Files film, whoever asked for a new edition, what were you hoping for? The deleted scenes you mention ARE included on the current disc. As far as I'm aware, it's just one or two tiny snippets reinserted into the film.

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't read too much into his comments on HD-DVD. I think they simply reflect the caution and fear that all studios will have towards the improvement in quality of a new and better format.

I was watching for his comments on the other Planet of the Apes films and was a bit discouraged. He indicated they would see how the first one sold before deciding on the sequels. Since I have seen many comments on the various forums that many are waiting to purchase a set of all of the films, not just the first one, it seems it might be a chicken or egg problem that could just go in circles.

Deane

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I share your excitement for this release definitely.

I'm surprised it took so long before Star Wars was brought up, and apparently Ron was also, but there is one thing that shocked me more than anything...

Nobody asked about Simpsons S. 4!

I fell asleep before the chat and forgot all about it, I guess I'll have to bug others about the Simpsons?

Daniel Lee

Auditioning
Too bad that "The Poseidon Adventure" and "The Towering Inferno" are still tied up with rights issues. I so want to see them anamorphic with extras.

Dan

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i had to skip the chat last night, and reading over the transcript, it doesn't look like i missed a whole lot.
any titles i was interested in didn't get a mention.

i would infer that A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is a most likely Studio classics candidate for this year.
maybe Laura is being held back to jump start a film noir sub label (that's just speculation).

the only thing i found very interesting in the whole chat was the fact that they had licencsed a nice handful of titles to Criterion.
we heard some hinting last year, but even though we still don't have any titles, we now have solid confirmation of the intent.

its great to see that there is at least some people at Fox who don't share the "hoard our limited appeal titles even if we don't intend to exploit them' mindset that is common at most of the other studios.
it may end up that i don't care about any of the titles they have thrown to Criterion, but at least the move itself augurs well for possibly another deal with another small label like Blue Underground.
this could clearly be to the best advantage of both companies.
right now, i think Blue Underground is a phenomenally well run outfit producing some of the best packaged discs out there, i just don't have much interest in the titles (looking very forward to a good copy of Final Countdown though).
i echo the enthusiasm(begs) for Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, The Driver, and others of this ilk.

things like DMCL were essentially created with a specific market in mind (the drive-in theater circuit typically), and while they played 'regular' theaters, the material was budgeted with its distribution route in mind.
the studio could count on a ballpark revenue, and if the film was a hit, a bit more, but they knew films like this were not high profile prestige productions.
and in 2004, Susan George and Peter Fondas big heads on a jacket still aren't likely to cause much commotion.

now with dvd, home video- small companies like Blue Underground, Anchor Bay, Criterion, etc are essentially the home video arm of the drive-in and art house.
it makes little sense for a studio to commit much resources on titles that are going to limited run art houses or drive-ins.
on the other hand, then can swing a deal that is 'all profit' and leave all the nuts and bolts and cost/losses to small labels.
don't understand why more studios don't do this.

Aaron_H

Agent
Real Name
Aaron
I was glad to hear about the "Mrs Doubtfire" reissue.
I also asked about "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and an anamorphic "Strange Days." He said:

"Jumpin Jack would be a good title to put out with the Silver Streak in a budget line comedy promotion."

So he didn't really say it was something they were planning for sure or not. Alas, he did not address an anamorphic "Strange Days." :frowning:

I do hope "Jumpin' Jack Flash" comes out though!

By the way, I would like to see a "Romancing the Stone" SE and "License to Drive" too!

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I don't think it would have mattered anyway. I don't think the release schedule is really dependent on Fox. It depends on when the Producers, Writers etc. get around to recording commentaries and preparing other special features. I'm sure if it was entirely up to Fox when these sets are released, we would see at least 2 seasons per year. I hate to say but until the production of the Simpsons ends, it will probably remain at one set a year coming out in Aug (no rumors/announcement thus far comes close to validating that.) Hopefully I'll be proved wrong

Rob T

Screenwriter

I would think they do. They released the movie in 2001 so I would think they still have the rights to the show. I would love to have all the TV-movies too.

I definitely want Space: A&B.

And Disney owns all (or most) the Saban Entertainment stuff that was on FOX Kids in the 90s. That includes X-Men: TAS.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I couldn't make it last night either, but even if I did make it, I was hoping I wouldn't be the only person to ask about future D-VHS releases. After reading the transcript, it's clear I would have been the only person.

Matt Goddard

Stunt Coordinator
I find it interesting that there seems to be an internal issue at Fox regarding the release of a number of Mel Brooks movies. I can't believe it's individual titles versus box sets. Maybe it's bare-bones vs. special editions. Has anybody heard anything other than what Peter said last night?

Although Peter can't answer every part of a multi-part question I'm always impressed at what I consider his honesty in talking straight with us. I hope he's up for another chat next winter - if not sooner. :D

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Aaron H:

Thanks for asking about Strange Days even though he didnt comment on it. I didnt make the chat but am clammering for a reissue of Days.

I love that movie and really want a SE of it.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure were high-budget movies at the time and Fox didn't want to pay for them all, so they partnered with two producers at the time-- therein lies the rights problems.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Good chat - and long! At that very moment I was asleep, unfortunately (I do understand why those chats are held at that late an hour though).

Too bad nobody asked after Laura. And, yes, I too am hoping for The Innocents. And a good version of True Lies.

But lets be happy with what we got! Both Coccoons, Zorba the Greek, 300 Spartans, Master & Commander, Heaven Can Wait - well, I can hardly wait!

Cees

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor

I guess that leaves little hope that we will see that in a season set format then :frowning:

Oh well - at least I'll finally be able to get a Predator SE -
and The Abyss sorely needs a new transfer. If they can get Cameron to do some commentary - it would be all good :D

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Wonder if "VALLEY OF THE DOLLS" or "RETURN TO PEYTON
PLACE" are in the works ??

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mike McG said:

I'm surprised also. When I asked the question, I expected Mr. Staddon to give an answer somewhat along the lines of "under consideration" or "not on the schedule at this time". Instead it appeared that he pretty much closed the door to any hope of a release. With all due respect I do disagree with him that they wouldn't sell, partly due to the reasons you cited.

The original question I had typed and ready to go, got lost when I hit the "say" button too soon so I had to retype it in abbreviated form. One key part that I neglected to retype was to ask if Fox would consider licensing the Chan/Moto films to another studio.

With all the success that MPI has had with the Sherlock Holmes set (which includes two Fox films to be released in the second quarter) and all the success that A&E has had with Avengers, Saint, etc., I would think the business model exists to make this kind of release work.

I will be sending a follow up letter to Mr. Staddon asking him to please reconsider his position.

In spite of the disappointment on this issue, I commend him for taking the time to do the chat and for being so willing to patiently answer questions for two and a half hours. He's a good guy in my book. (Thanks to the owners of HTF for making these chats possible.)

Steve

Rob T

Screenwriter

If they take notice of how well Rhino's Transformers & G.I. Joe season sets and Warners upcoming Batman: TAS season sets do then I would think that there might be a chance to get all those classic shows that they own the rights to in season sets as well. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
after the few words about the Criterion licencing deal , this was the next thing to make me somewhat hopeful, excited;

i too really want a much better disc of these musicals (and Oklahoma in particular).
lower costs for remastering could bode well for finally getting decent editions of these films in the hopper sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks