What's new

What do you think is the best music video? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Agree with the vote for Bowie's long form 'Blue Jean' clip - it's hilarious, great fun, well acted and a lot better than most of the movies Bowie has been involved in. Is this full length clip on the recent Bowie DVD vid compilation? Most of Bowie's clips are pretty good, now that I think of it.

David Lee Roth's 'Just a Gigolo' clip was pretty funny. I think this was the era where he parodied a fat record producer in heavy latex make-up - "I can't sing - I'm dancing!".

Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' clip is probably overexposed, but I still think it's well done. A lot of effort went into it.

A lot of recent British dance and pop artists have done some hilarious clips - one big budget clip ('Theme from Gutbusters' by an artist I forget) has eskimos playing sports down in the Antarctic. One of them does a groovy shamanistic dance to melt the ice for a few unlucky fisherman, and the camera goes flying across the ice floes in some shots that must have cost a lot to capture. Another great British clip has one rap star going back to his local primary school to sponsor the annual sports day. It turns out he actually wants to rerace all the races with the kids - cue hilarious footage of him sprinting pass pissed-off tots in the relay, the high-jump etc, before exiting the school with a carload of trophys and a whole lot of abuse from the school body.

All the clips I've seen by The Chemical Brothers have been pretty nifty - Patra's, slick, glossy cover to 'Pull Up To the Bumper' is good for a few laughs...

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
Any Tool vid works for me.

So does the "Jazzin For Blue Jean"

also...........there was a vid a couple of years ago by Aphex Twin that was kinda neat/creepy. I don't remember the name of the tune, but it was a cool video.

Leif Wall

Second Unit

I was just gonna mention this video, as I was going through all my videos last night and found this one.

Aphex Twin - Come to Daddy

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
While it was really quite minimalist as far as production value, I thought Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compares to U was pretty powerful.

To this day (almost 20 years later), I think A-ha's Take on Me is the gold standard.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear the love for "Jazzin'"!

Is this full length clip on the recent Bowie DVD vid compilation?
Yup, it's there as an Easter egg. My review lists how to find it and the other surprises. It's a great treat to get it - I'd have paid $35 just for "Jazzin'" alone!

Oh, and for short-form videos, my pick might be Kylie Minogue's "Did It Again". I don't like Kylie, but my friend became obsessed with her last year. He made me watch the video and damned if it isn't pretty much the most entertaining one I've ever seen! Four Kylies - no waiting!

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I've always loved:

Guns N Roses: November Rain
Chris Isaak: Wicked Game, and the one with Laetitia Casta
Sigur Ros: Viorar vel til loftarasa

Pieter

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Among new videos (which I hardly ever see any more), I'm enthralled with the Queens of the Stone Age video for "Go with the Flow". The visuals are unique, and executed with amazing style.

"Take on Me" was of course a classic, and a great song as well.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Queen - Radio Ga Ga
Peter Gabriel - Steam
Peter Gabriel - The Barry Williams Show
Metallica - The Unforgiven

And my pick for worst video of all time:

The Gift - Do You Want Something Simple?

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I'm agreeing with:

Hot For Teacher
November Rain
One
and Take on Me

And adding to the mix:

Cradle of Love - Billy Idol

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I think almost anything by Mark Romanek has to be considered. Just take a look at this partial list:
fiona apple - criminal
audioslave - cochise
beck - devil's haircut
david bowie - jump, they say
johnny cash - hurt
g. love & special sauce - cold beverage
janet jackson - got 'til it's gone
michael + janet jackson - scream
mick jagger - god gave me everything i want
lenny kravitz - are you gonna go my way
lenny kravitz - if you can't say no
linkin park - faint
madonna - rain
madonna - bedtime story
nine inch nails - closer
nine inch nails - the perfect drug
no doubt - hella good
red hot chili peppers - can't stop
weezer - el scorcho (director's cut)

Some other great directors:
Stephane Sednaoui
Sophie Muller
Spike Jonze
David Fincher
Jonathan Glazer
Mark Pellington
jonas Akerlund

Also:
Sledge Hammer - Peter Gabriel
Virtual Insanity - Jamiroquai
Anything by Bjork
Every Breath You Take - Police
Around the World - Daft Punk
Almost anything by Beastie Boys
Junior Senior - Move Your Feet
Almost anything by Tome Petty
Freedom - George Michael
Lucas with the Lid Off - Lucas

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Good picks all but the first video that came to mind was Coldplay's "Trouble" video. I was really impressed with the look of it. I loved the two dimensional people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks