What do you hook u[ a Progressive Scan DVD to?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickBurke, Oct 30, 2002.

1. MickBurke

MickBurke Extra

Please don't say 'progressive scan inputs' [​IMG]
    I'm pondering my new monitor options, and considering a new DVD as well. Either way, I want to make sure that the monitor I get will handle the progressive scan inputs from teh DVD. What am I looking for here? Thanks.
    Mick

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You need a HDTV that can accept 480p signals. AFAIK all of them can. You will also need a set of component video cables that can handle HD frequencies. (Component video tops out at about 4 Mhz, but Progressive Scan video goes up to about 12 Mhz and true HD signals go up to 35 Mhz).

We have an entire fourm dedicated to display devices. Stop on by and browse some of the threads and you will learn a lot about the makes/models that are out there.

3. MickBurke

MickBurke Extra

Thanks Bob. Yea, I wasn't sure if this shoud go in the 'displays' section again, since it's regarding the output as well... But I figured if I posted in the 'basics' area I at least wouldn't get busted on too bad if I was in the wrong place [​IMG] Thanks again.
    Mick

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

No problem Mick.

By the way, even in the other fourms we dont let people beat up on you for simple/basic questions. This is not a newsgroup.

We DO ask that you spend some time reading other posts or even doing a search because many basic questions are asked every few days/weeks. Then, you can ask for clarification of parts you dont understand.

Enjoy your stay.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Question.... Does RG6 meet the requirements of 35MHz (can it be used as a progressive component cable solution?

6. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

It depends on the specific cable what it's handwidth is... but in short, yes.

RG59 has gobs of bandwidth to spare, even.

To receive OTA TV you need to be able to send ~800mhz, and the best RG6 tops out in the ghz range.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I can breathe again then. I just pre-ran 2 component RG6 runs, 32ft long