What's new

What do people here think about Kef speakers/does anyone know where I can get some? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone...after reading an ass load of topics and a little help here and there, I finally moved from Pro-Logic to Digital and picked up a Yamaha RX-V620. Im very happy with it but now I want to upgrade my center channel. My main speakers are Kef Q30 and Id like to get a Kef center to match them. The weird thing is that I never hear anyone on this forum say anything about them...is there like somekind of thing about Kef that turn people off about them? Also, does anyone know where I can find a store that sells them in the LA area? I picked up my Q30s many years ago at the Good Guys but they dont carry Kefs anymore. OH...online stores would be cool too. Thanks in advance for any help.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Charles, when I was shopping for $500 floorstanding speaker for my second stereo system about a month ago, I listened to two pairs of KEF speakers. One was from the Cresta series, and the other was the Q35 or something like that. I heard them hooked up to an Integra DTR-5.2 receiver with an Integra CD player. Frankly, I thought both pairs of speakers were awful. They we clumsy. The sound seemed to be out of focus. I don't know how else to say it. The bass was boomy and the vocals were fuzzy. I found the comparably priced Energy e:XL 25s to be much better, which are what I bought.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on November 08, 2001 at 09:21 AM]

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Some of the best speakers that I have ever heard were from the KEF Reference Line. While I don't have any experience with much of the brands products I can tell you that the Reference 1 - 4s are fantastic although very expensive. They image very well and provide a full range response without being harsh or boomy. The only problem that I have with the Reference line is that they are 4 Ohm speakers which can pose a problem with some receivers/amps. Go to their web site, find a dealer and audition the speakers yourself. That, in the end, is the only thing that matters...how they sound to you.
Thanks,
Jeff

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
When I upgraded my system to Monitor Audio speakers about 5 years ago, I was very happy to discover that they timbre-matched nicely with KEF's 100 center channel speaker, because it is simply the best center I've ever heard. KEF's Uni-Q design is ideal for dialogue; it keeps the dialogue anchored to the screen even for people who are sitting to the extreme right or left. I couldn't imagine using anything else.
The above is limited to the use of KEF speakers for a center channel in a system devoted to HT. I play almost no music on that system.
M.

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
One Call sells the KEF line of speakers:
http://www.onecall.com/
I've never heard KEF speakers myself. Reviews have been really mixed on their speakers lately. Some heaped with praise while other reviews have been down right nasty. Sound & Vision had a recent nasty review of the Cresta series while What-Hi-Fi heaped praise on the same Crestas.
If you do order these online, you should note return policies in case you are not satisfied with them. Good luck!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
OneCall has great prices, but a lousy return policy. I would never buy speakers from them unless I was sure of what I was buying. If I heard a pair of speakers at a brick-and-mortar store that I really liked, I might buy them from OneCall to save money. You just have to be sure you like a product before buying it from them. They will do an exchange if you get defective merchandise, but if you simply don't like something, you are pretty well out of luck.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Kefs tend to be rather neutral in balance. The Q series doesn't have mega-strong bass but team them with a good sub and you've got a rockin' HT speaker system.
I run Q65s upfront, 200C centre, Q55s on rear duties. Sub is a Boston VR2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks