What's new

What Disney titles go OOP this month? (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I know that Snow White goes out of print this month, but I seem to remember hearing somewhere that some of their two disc collectors titles such as Tarzan, A bugs Life, and Dinosaur will also go OOP.

AdamW

Agent
I heard something about a disney dvd going OOP, I don't remember which one, though :frowning:. I'll get back to you.

AdamW

Agent
OK, going OOP on January 31st are:

Pinocchio

Mulan

Tarzan: Collector's Edition

Snow White

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Here, you can see it for yourself:
ad_right4.gif

The image comes from the official DisneyDVD site, here. It is on the right, not too far from the top, and it cycles through about 4 different images, so watch for it.

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
What's the deal with OOP? Does it mean they will never release the movie again, or does it mean that a "collector's edition" (or the like) will be released in a year or two?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
thanks for teh quick replys everyone, I may have to dip out of my new tv fund and pick up that spiffy tarzan set. I'll wait for the bound to rock platinum pinocchio, and I only sort of liked mulan.

Adam

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Adam,

Just so you know Pinocchio is not on the Platinum list.

That doesn't mean that there won't be a special edition, just that it isn't scheduled to be a Platinum.

-Chad

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
TARZAN's going out of print surprises me. My understanding was that everything except the Platinum series and the initial Gold series was going to remain available permanently. Obviously Disney can damn well do whatever it wants, and you can't say they haven't given us sufficient warning to stock up on endangered titles, but I guess their view is that it's best not to have too many animated titles on the shelves at any given time in order to avoid oversaturation. Spiking demand for out of print titles never hurt, either. But I'm finding little fault with Disney lately as far as DVD goes - their product has been extensive and exhaustive, and with live-action classics now being announced, I feel this studio has done a 360 degree turnaround since the format first hit the market.

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Im suprised with Snow white, it was only on the shelves for 3 months. Also Pinnochio was supposed to be discontinued back in October...This is one of the reasons it was offered as a freebee with the preorder of Snow White (through the Disney Store) All 7 discs offered were to be discontinued..

weird

-D

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs is slated to go out of print for TEN years.
Which makes a lot of sense if you view the "Disney Through The Decades" documentary. Every ten years, Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs is re-released at least once either to theaters or home video. It started in the late 1930s and continues to be a tradition for The Walt Disney Company. For those wondering about the decade span, this allows a new generation to experience the one that started it all.
For the 2000 Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs re-issue, it was decided to release it to DVD and VHS. It could also be re-released to theaters sometime before 2011 and then a new decade will begin allowing a new generation to enjoy this film.
Pinocchio could find its way back to DVD as a special edition. The same goes for Mulan since both these titles have letterbox widescreen transfers.
But for Tarzan, the standard release goes out of print while the collector's edition remains on shelves. So the collector's edition may be due for a price drop.
Of course, that does not mean you will not be able to find these after 1/31/2001. Many retailers seem to have a nice stock on hand for these titles.

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't the Fantasia box set also going to be discontinued? I thought I heard that somewhere. I'm kinda shocked with Tarzan. Do you think they will make a better edition? I don't see how they could.
Except for one thing: Why isn't the sound in DD 5.1? I believe it's 5.0, anyone who has it: How does that sound? Is there any bass? I think I'll pick the title up soon, unless any of u believe there is room for improvement:D

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Except for one thing: Why isn't the sound in DD 5.1? I believe it's 5.0, anyone who has it: How does that sound? Is there any bass? I think I'll pick the title up soon, unless any of u believe there is room for improvement
Walt Disney's Tarzan was released to theaters without a dedicated LFE channel. You still get bass with this title but there is no dedicated LFE channel. Other titles mixed this way include Mrs. Doubtfire, Stepmom, and The Cider House Rules.

And the only titles going out of print are:

Pinocchio - Gold Collection

Mulan - Gold Collection

Tarzan

Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs - Platinum Edition

Pinocchio and Mulan were previously released to DVD as Limited Issue DVDs. These were the ones that went on moratorium only to be brought back to the market as Gold Collection titles. Now these Gold Collection titles are going out of print. There is no difference in content between the Limited Issue and Gold Collection DVDs.

The only version of Tarzan going out of print is the single disc release. You can still purchase the collector's edition without worry.

Daniel Schenk

Stunt Coordinator
I don`t think rutger_s is right. It`s the Tarzan Collector`s Edition that goes OOP and not the single disc. Actually if you look closely,Tarzan Movie-only is not yet part of the Gold Collection! So i`m sure Disney will re-release that with a new cover soon. But it`s the Tarzan CE that goes out of print.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
rutger_s said:
I don`t think rutger_s is right. It`s the Tarzan Collector`s Edition that goes OOP and not the single disc. Actually if you look closely,Tarzan Movie-only is not yet part of the Gold Collection! So i`m sure Disney will re-release that with a new cover soon. But it`s the Tarzan CE that goes out of print.
Daniel is correct, and rutger_s is wrong. Go back to the picture I posted above, from the Disney site. The Tarzan 2-Disc Collector's Edition is the one pictured on the "get 'em while you can" ad. The 1-disc version looks like this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000035Z2T/qid=1010138546/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_75_1/002-4642302-7039232
...and again, here is the CE:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000035Z50/qid=1010138546/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_75_2/002-4642302-7039232
As for price drops on the CE, if you are a CostCo member and are lucky that your local store still has any, they are selling it out for $19.99, along with other Disney 2-Disc CE's like New Groove and Dinosaur...the latter of which I had just previously gotten for my son for about $26!! :frowning:

David_N

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if anyone else has seen this but it was a surprise to me. While browsing at Best Buy they had a new Disney animated collection. It was about $200 and included Fantasia Anthology, Tarzan Collectors Ed, Dinosaur Collectors Ed, A Bug's Life Collectors Ed, and Toy Story Toy Box (I think Snow White Platinum was also included). I would have bought it but I already owned all of them seperatly, (except for Tarzan Collectors Ed, which I did pick up) because it looked like a great deal if you don't own all those.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks