What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (4 Viewers)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Malden is great, isn't he? He plays a very warm and human cop, instantly likeable and compelling. Of course, it helps that he had a long and prestigious career in films before he took the Streets gig. He was a mighty fine actor. Of course, Michael Douglas was no slouch either. ;)

Certainly! As a matter of opinion, some would say that the Stone/Keller relationship was like father and son, but I think there's another way to see it: that Stone and Keller are like brothers (Stone the experienced older brother, Keller the younger one who's learning from that experience).

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ahh, it wasn't meant as correction. I don't remember if he was ever credited on the show or not, but I do remember Flatt and Scruggs being. I used to think it was Flatt and Scruggs for years myself.

He was definitely credited by the color years

However, a check of a first season episode just said "theme played by Flatt and Scruggs".

I figured he had to be credited at some point, because I knew his name. And I'm not quite a huge enough Hillbillies fan to have known the name "Jerry Scoggins" without it having been drilled into my head from the end credits.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Outer Limits - Season 1 Bluray
Don't Open 'til Doomsday (1.17)
The Invisibles (1.19)

Gunsmoke - Season 3
Crack-Up (3.1) John Dehner as a gunman who has lost his nerve. Excellent opener.
Gun For Chester (3.2) Excellent showcase for Dennis Weaver even if the story is now rather predictable.
Blood Money (3.3) Doing the "right" thing is not always looked upon by others in the same way.
Kitty's Outlaw (3.4) I hope this is not repeated but Miss Russell has a "past", and he shows up in Dodge.
Potato Road (3.5) Robert F. Simon and Jeanette Nolan as creepy/crazy criminals who kidnap Matt and Chester. As good as the premier.
Jesse (3.6) Revenge story with Edward Binns and Dabbs Greer, two very reliable character actors who show up everywhere.
Mavis McCloud (3.7) Jealous brother (incest???) played to perfection by Robert Cornthwaite.

Perry Mason - Season 4
The Case of the Nine Dolls (4.9) Jeanette Nolan again along with John Banner, Sgt. Schulz himself. Perry goes to Switzerland.
The Case of the Loquacious Liar (4.10) Photographic trickery concerning "male models".
The Case oof the Red Riding Boots (4.11) Families who alibi together stay together.
The Case of the Larcenous Lady (4.12) A Mayor's wife who will stop at nothing with Edward Platt and Louise Fletcher and Robert Brown.

Night Gallery - Season 2
Green Fingers/The Funeral/The Tune in Dan's Cafe (2.15) Green Fingers a favorite since originally seen, The Funeral at least humorous.
Lindemann's Catch/A Feast of Blood/The Late Mr. Peddington (2.16) Stuart Whitman and Norman Lloyd as a suitor, great!!!
The Miracle at Camafeo/The Ghost of Sorworth Place (2.17) Divine and Hellish retribution in one episode.
The Waiting Room/Last Rites For A Dead Druid (2.18) Buddy Ebsen, Albert Salmi, Jim Davis and Steve Forrest in a tale of Hell and then we have Bill Bixby and Carol Lynley as well as the luscious Donna Douglas. Great guest cast.

Last edited:

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
He was definitely credited by the color years

However, a check of a first season episode just said "theme played by Flatt and Scruggs".

I figured he had to be credited at some point, because I knew his name. And I'm not quite a huge enough Hillbillies fan to have known the name "Jerry Scoggins" without it having been drilled into my head from the end credits.

That's like until S7 Nancy Kulp nor Raymond Bailey were featured in the opening credits. It's sort of weird how things were done.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Whoa a big couple days for me. I got a lot in.
On Friday I pulled nice line up.
From Friday night February 8, 1980-CBS

---The Incredible Hulk
Falling Angels

---The Dukes of Hazard
Find Loretta Lynn

What a Friday to spend with some classic TV, fantastic, fun episodes that have about as much weight as Cotton Candy. Breezy, care free fun night of classic tv. I was on cloud nine without a care in The world. Tv designed to leave your troubles in the real world. i highly recommend this line up for those interested in the two series.

Edit: I will post my Saturday line up later, it is a lot to write about.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Whoa a big couple days for me. I got a lot in.
On Friday I pulled nice line up.
From Friday night February 8, 1980-CBS

---The Incredible Hulk
Falling Angels

---The Dukes of Hazard
Find Loretta Lynn

What a Friday to spend with some classic TV, fantastic, fun episodes that have about as much weight as Cotton Candy. Breezy, care free fun night of classic tv. I was on cloud nine without a care in The world. Tv designed to leave your troubles in the real world. i highly recommend this line up for those interested in the two series.

Edit: I will post my Saturday line up later, it is a lot to write about.
No Dallas? Friday nights were the bomb with The Incredible Hulk, The Dukes of Hazzard, and Dallas.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I look forward to watching it. I never saw it first run(I have the first two seasons), so it will be a treat to incorporate it in my retro Line up for Friday nights. Just like it originally aired on CBS.
If you really want the full experience - throw in an hours worth of commercials:D

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 3

¶ Episode #3
"Incident at Dragoon Crossing"
written by John Dunkel
directed by Ted Magnum Force Post
guests: Dan O'Herlihy, Duane Grey, Garry Walberg, Ralph Thomas

It's a good solid alternate trail boss episode. Gil Favor is sick and feverish and asks trail boss John Cord to run his drive. The cutting edge personality of Cord is the main attraction of this episode: direct, cold, benevolent, brutally honest, conflictual—especially with ramrod Rowdy Yates who is willing to quite. Cord has a lot of enemies, inside and outside the drive. Anyway, Gil Favor is depicted in an unusual way because he is weakened and stuck to a bed during a gunfight in his bedroom and must warn Cord of the Bates gang ambush despite his fragile body.

The episode features the Act 1 introduction of Gil Favor as an introspective voice-over. Here it is:
"Taking a herd north, you have to trail across nearly a thousand miles of the wrinkled skin of Earth. Over terrain that's strange and different as paradise above from the hot place below. Mostly it's too rough or too steep, too wet or dry, too hot or cold, too windy, too lonely. But you take what comes and find a way to move the beeves on through… At least you try… My name's Gil Favor, trail boss."

Trail boss Gil Favor talking to himself at the start of Act 1.
rawhide_dragoon3_favor1_zps43007977.jpg

The replacement trail boss: John Cord, the man you like to hate!
rawhide_dragoon3_cord_zpsf11099fb.jpg

Ramrod Rowdy Yates doesn't give a hoot about Cord's authority!
rawhide_dragoon3_yates3_zpsbbb4ffbe.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Whenever "Incident at Dragoon Crossing" is mentioned I like to point out that Charles Marquis Warren's 1958 dry run for RAWHIDE was a Joel McCrea western feature called CATTLE EMPIRE, with McCrea playing John Cord, the same name as Dan O'Hurlihy's character in "Dragoon Crossing". Duane Grey who plays O'Hurlihy's side-kick is also in CATTLE EMPIRE playing a similar role. Other than McCrea, the whole cast of CATTLE EMPIRE shows up in RAWHIDE, eventually.

Paul Brinegar plays the trail cook, named Thomas Jefferson Jeffrey. Brinegar wears his 'Wishbone" hat, and has a brother with him named George Washington Jeffrey, played by Hal K. Dawson.
cattle-empire_491248_41099.jpg

In the RAWHIDE episode "Incident of the Tinker's Dam", we find out that Wishbone's full name is George Washington Wishbone and he has a brother named Thomas Jefferson Wishbone, played by Regis Toomey.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Not far from finishing the left-hand portion of that Streets of San Francisco all-in-one; all I have left for that is the last three episodes of the first disc of the second volume of Season 3 (I already saw the first episode on that disc, "The Twenty-Five Caliber Plague"); I also technically counted the first four discs of this all-in-one release, without entirely seeing them, because I had seen all the episodes of the first half-season's worth when my sister got me that release in its original form a long time ago.

All that said, when I finish that 3-2-1 disc, I'll have only the 14 discs in the right-hand portion to complete, and then I'll be checkers on that Streets all-in-one.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Marathon viewing of several discs this past week beginning with:

Streets of San Francisco - Season 3
Cry Help! (3.9) Mariette Hartley, Clint Howard - Child abuse with an intriguing twist, probably shocking for its time.
For Good or Evil (3.10) Mike Evans, Hari Rhodes - Social conscience episode.
Birds of Prey (3.11) Dennis Cole - Insp. Keller undercover in USAF without trimming his hair. Sideburns just took me out :).
License to Kill (3.12) Murray Hamilton (Mayor of Shark City) - Old partner of Stone's with an ax to grind.

Barney Miller - Season 7
Contempt: Part 1 (7.15) William Windom - Barney goes to jail, Harris is in charge.
Contempt: Part 2 (7.16)
The Doll (7.17) Oliver Clark, Philip Bruns, A Martinez - Barney becomes Luger's beneficiary. Harris is spending tons to fight Ripner's lawsuit.
Lady and The Bomb (7.18) Fish's last appearance, Harris gets the verdict.
Riot (7.19) Nehemiah Persoff, Howard Platt (Chief)
The Vests (7.20) Don Calfa
The Rainmaker (7.21) J. Pat O'Malley, Leonard Stone - New York needs rain and hires a rainmaker, the boys want a transfer to Vice.
Liquidation (7.22) James Cromwell - Harris loses his appeal rights and must pay Ripner, he gets drunk.

Gunsmoke - Season 3
Born to Hang (3.8) Wright King, Ken Lynch, Anthony Caruso, Mort Mills - Sometimes you just can't escape fate.
Romeo (3.9) Robert Vaughn, Barbara Eden, Barry Kelley - Matchmaker Matt story only passable by the guest cast.
Never Pester Chester (3.10) Buddy Baer - Chester is left for dead and Matt wants revenge. Excellent and emotional.
Fingered (3.11) John Larch, Dabbs Greer, Virginia Christine, Karl Swenson - Sad tale.
How To Kill A Woman (3.12) Pernell Roberts, Barry Atwater - A tale of hateful revenge.
Cows and Cribs (3.13) Mabel Albertson, Bartlett Robinson, Val Avery, Dabbs Greer

Perry Mason - Season 4
The Case of the Envious Editor (4.13) James Coburn, Philip Abbot, Paul Lambert, H.M. Wynant (also on 50th Anniversary set)
The Case of the Resolute Reformer (4.14) John Hoyt, Diana Millay, James Westerfield

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Whenever "Incident at Dragoon Crossing" is mentioned I like to point out that Charles Marquis Warren's 1958 dry run for RAWHIDE was a Joel McCrea western feature called CATTLE EMPIRE, with McCrea playing John Cord, the same name as Dan O'Hurlihy's character in "Dragoon Crossing". Duane Grey who plays O'Hurlihy's side-kick is also in CATTLE EMPIRE playing a similar role. Other than McCrea, the whole cast of CATTLE EMPIRE shows up in RAWHIDE, eventually.

Paul Brinegar plays the trail cook, named Thomas Jefferson Jeffrey. Brinegar wears his 'Wishbone" hat, and has a brother with him named George Washington Jeffrey, played by Hal K. Dawson. View attachment 48373

In the RAWHIDE episode "Incident of the Tinker's Dam", we find out that Wishbone's full name is George Washington Wishbone and he has a brother named Thomas Jefferson Wishbone, played by Regis Toomey.

Very relevant. Thanks.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Cry Help! (3.9) Mariette Hartley, Clint Howard - Child abuse with an intriguing twist, probably shocking for its time.
For Good or Evil (3.10) Mike Evans, Hari Rhodes - Social conscience episode.
Birds of Prey (3.11) Dennis Cole - Insp. Keller undercover in USAF without trimming his hair. Sideburns just took me out :).
License to Kill (3.12) Murray Hamilton (Mayor of Shark City) - Old partner of Stone's with an ax to grind.

I saw those ones recently myself, and just last night saw "Mister Nobody."

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Perry Mason - Season 4
The Case of the Fickle Fortune (4.15) Vaughn Taylor, Philip Ober, Liam Sullivan, Virginia Christine
The Case of theWaylaid Wolf (4.16) Barry Atwater, Benson Fong, Rebecca Welles, Robert Karnes

The Outer Limits - Season 1 Blu-ray
The Bellero Shield (1.20) Martin Landau, Sally Kellerman, John Hoyt, Neil Hamilton - Great cast, excellent story, nothing else to add.

Night Gallery - Season 2
Deliveries in the Rear/Stop Killing Me/Dead Weight (2.19) Jack Albertson, Babby Darin, Rosemary Forsyth, James Gregory, Peter Whitney
I'll Never Leave You - Ever/There Aren't Any More McBanes (2.20) Howard Duff, Royal Dano, Joel Grey, John Saxon Lois Nettleton
The Sins of the Fathers/You Can't Get Help Like That Anymore (2.21) Richard Thomas, Cloris Leachman, Broderick Crawford, Michael Dunn, Lana Wood, Henry Jones, Severn Darden
The Caterpillar/Little Girl Lost (2.22) Laurence Harvey, Joanna Pettet, John Williams, William Windom, Ed Nelson, Don Knight

The Twenty-Five Caliber Plague (3.13) Robert Webber, Jonathan Lippe, Anthony Geary - How a single can changes lives.
Mister Nobody (3.14) Sam Jaffe, Celia Lovsky, George Murdock, Don Calfa - Senior citizen makes sacrifice for father-to-be.
False Witness (3.15) A Martinez, Rodolfo Hoyos, Rafael Campos, Malachi Throne - Personal vendetta against a drug dealer
Letters From The Grave (3.16) Peter Strauss, William Windom, Paul Stewart, Arch Johnson, Virginia Gregg - Voice from the grave pointing finger at killer.

Barney Miller - Season 8
Looking forward to watching these. I haven't seen this season since it originally aired. But it is bittersweet since this is the final season. Even though I have it, I just don't think I can bring myself to watch any of Fish. It has been a great ride and I look forward to finishing my time with the "ole one-two".
Paternity (8.1) Stefan Gierasch, Rebecca Holden -Wojo gets some upsetting news
Advancement (8.2) - Harris doesn't get extra time at lunch, Inspector Luger cons Barney into wife shopping and an angry lottery "winner".
The Car (8.3) Joe Regalbuto - Harris makes amends, Leavitt is a hero and a trash cop gets left out.
Possession (8.4) Kenneth Tigar, Allen Miller - A demon possessed man as well as a wife forced into tight jeans.
Stress Analyzer (8.5) James Cromwell, Florence Halop, Ann Morgan Guilbert - Peace corps violence, domestic strife and a heart monitor.
Games (8.6) Philip Sterling, Trinidad Silva, John O'Leary, Sarah Kennedy, Carol Eve Rossen - Spies, chips and military hookers.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Still riding with the outfit of Mr. Favor these days on the trail to Sedalia, Missouri.

rawhide_s3_logos_zpsf9a8d6c2.jpg

RAWHIDE SEASON 3
“Incident of the Night Visitor” (with Dane Clark and Harold J. Stone)
“Incident of the Slavemaster” (with Peter Lorre and John Agar)
“Incident on the Road to Yesterday” (with Rawhide singer Frankie Laine)
“Incident at Superstition Prairie” (with Michael Pate)

rawhide_s3_gilfavor_zps022bdee4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks