What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (5 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Only a few more days, and I'll be flying back to the States for a month. Looking forward to seeing family and friends, and being back in America again for a while. (This is also the time I pile my bags full of DVDs and Blu-Rays to take with me back to Japan). So, as a lead-up to our trip, it's back to U.S. TV show watching, starting with:

The Beverly Hillbillies
1.12 "The Great Feud"
1.13 "Home for Christmas"

"The Great Feud" was pretty ridiculous, even by Hillbillies standards, but of course there are still plenty of laughs to be had, as the Clampetts march on their neighbors, the Drysdales, due to Sonny Drysdale's courting Elly May and then shuffling off when he hears marriage is expected. The best part of this episode is the frequent narration by Lester Flatt. The next episode is better, as the Clampetts head home to surprise Cousin Pearl for the holidays. Seeing Jed and family's first experience on an airplane flight was highly amusing, and the show ends on a nice Christmassy note.

Bonanza - 3.02 "Springtime"

What starts out as one of Bonanza's occasional comic episodes ends up becoming a very fine story with several touching, heartfelt moments. Some opening horseplay between Adam, Hoss and Little Joe results in an old friend of Ben's, miserly old businessman Jedidiah Milbank (John Carradine, in prime ham mode), getting injured. The Cartwright's end up hosting the man while he recuperates, and the three Cartwright sons are each given an unpleasant task to perform for the bedridden Milbank as he recovers. We follow each of them as they deal with these problems in their own inimitable way, each true to their own honorable and kindhearted character.

This is an outstanding episode which boasts all the strengths of the series - boisterous good humor, the drama inherent in doing the right thing in difficult circumstances, and an emphasis on basic human decency - and caps it off with some terrific guest performances - not only Carradine, but also Denver Pyle, John Qualen and Lorna Thayer.

The Andy Griffith Show - 4.01 "Opie the Bird Man"

A fan favorite episode, by all accounts. This was my first time watching it, and it is indeed a very fine episode, focusing on our four main leads - Andy, Barney, Opie and Aunt Bea. Opie accidentally kills a mother bird and ends up raising her babies, under the stern but loving and wise tutelage of Andy. I can think of no other TV series father and son relationship portrayed more deftly, or more believably, than the one between Andy Griffith and Ron Howard. And Don Knotts gets a lot of good material here to lighten things up, with lots of running jokes about his so-called expertise in various fields, including weapons and wild animals.

Starsky & Hutch - 1.1 "Pilot"

I got about half-way through this 71 minute pilot before I realized I had watched it previously just a few years ago. Oh, well, that happens sometimes. It's still a very good, relatively low-key opener for the series, with a different actor playing Captain Dobie, and fun bad guy turns from Michael Lerner, Michael Conrad and Richard Lynch (who looks even creepier as a young guy). The main emphasis is on establishing the rapport between Glaser and Soul, and they click immediately as a memorable pair of close, maverick cop buddies,

The Invaders - 1.8 "Quantity: Unknown"

Another strong episode of this remarkably consistent Quinn-Martin sci-fi thriller. This time David Vincent tries to keep a mysterious piece of technology out of alien hands, by turns helped and stymied by an impressive guest cast, which includes James Whitmore, Susan Strasberg, Milton Selzer, Douglas Henderson and good ol' Hamilton Burger himself, William Tallman. Though predominantly an exercise in paranoia and tension, The Invaders frequently features some good action, and this episode is no exception, concluding with a strikingly photographed fight sequence.

susan+strasberg+invaders+tv+1967++eyeglasses.jpg

Susan Strasberg, as the best-looking metallurgist in TV history.

The Texan - 2.5 "Blue Norther"

Star Rory Calhoun co-produced this solid western series. The transfers on the Timeless DVD set are variable but this episode looked OK (the sound was a little poor, though). The Texan is ambushed by some scumbag outlaws (including a very young Harry Dean Stanton). Left for dead and his horse stolen, he boards a stagecoach and ends up sheltering from a heavy storm with several characters, including a chatty saleman (Parley Baer) and a principled gunman (Dan Barton). A typical 50s western story, for all that nicely played and done to a turn. Calhoun has a fine line in steely-eyed charisma, and made several very good big screen westerns in his career, none better than his riff on Doc Holliday, the magnificent Dawn at Socorro.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I believe that was Talman's last work before his death from cancer. The only other post-Mason guest shot of his I'm aware of is "Wild Wild West."

Yeah, I've seen that anti-smoking PSA he recorded shortly before his death, and it's both chilling and sad. He had a young wife and several children, if I remember correctly, and passed away too soon, only 53. He looked older, of course, as many actors did then, and certainly his being a heavy smoker didn't help. His role in The Invaders is brief but effective.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Finally finished up the 1st Season of The Naked City. I guess I will now need to get season 2 and see if the expansion to one hour and new detectives is still enjoyable.

Turn Of Events (1.33)
A Little Piece Of The Action (1.34) SImon Oakland, always good to see pop up again as a criminal.
The Bloodhounds (1.35) Louis Nye as a blind drunk, the first time I remember a running gag for comedy relief in this series.
The Scorpion Sting (1.36) Nehemiah Persoff turns in another fine guest performance as a blackmailed individual.
Saw My Baby There (1.37) Harold Stone
The Canvas Bullet (1.38) Harry Guardino, Diane Ladd, Vincent Gardenia, Rocky Graziano
A Wood of Thorne (1.39)

Last edited:

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Only a few more days, and I'll be flying back to the States for a month. Looking forward to seeing family and friends, and being back in America again for a while. (This is also the time I pile my bags full of DVDs and Blu-Rays to take with me back to Japan). So, as a lead-up to our trip, it's back to U.S. TV show watching, starting with:

The Beverly Hillbillies
1.12 "The Great Feud"

"The Great Feud" was pretty ridiculous, even by Hillbillies standards, but of course there are still plenty of laughs to be had, as the Clampetts march on their neighbors, the Drysdales, due to Sonny Drysdale's courting Elly May and then shuffling off when he hears marriage is expected. The best part of this episode is the frequent narration by Lester Flatt. The next episode is better, as the Clampetts head home to surprise Cousin Pearl for the holidays. Seeing Jed and family's first experience on an airplane flight was highly amusing, and the show ends on a nice Christmassy note.

Bonanza - 3.02 "Springtime"

What starts out as one of Bonanza's occasional comic episodes ends up becoming a very fine story with several touching, heartfelt moments. Some opening horseplay between Adam, Hoss and Little Joe results in an old friend of Ben's, miserly old businessman Jedidiah Milbank (John Carradine, in prime ham mode), getting injured. The Cartwright's end up hosting the man while he recuperates, and the three Cartwright sons are each given an unpleasant task to perform for the bedridden Milbank as he recovers. We follow each of them as they deal with these problems in their own inimitable way, each true to their own honorable and kindhearted character.

This is an outstanding episode which boasts all the strengths of the series - boisterous good humor, the drama inherent in doing the right thing in difficult circumstances, and an emphasis on basic human decency - and caps it off with some terrific guest performances - not only Carradine, but also Denver Pyle, John Qualen and Lorna Thayer.

The Andy Griffith Show - 4.01 "Opie the Bird Man"

A fan favorite episode, by all accounts. This was my first time watching it, and it is indeed a very fine episode, focusing on our four main leads - Andy, Barney, Opie and Aunt Bea. Opie accidentally kills a mother bird and ends up raising her babies, under the stern but loving and wise tutelage of Andy. I can think of no other TV series father and son relationship portrayed more deftly, or more believably, than the one between Andy Griffith and Ron Howard. And Don Knotts gets a lot of good material here to lighten things up, with lots of running jokes about his so-called expertise in various fields, including weapons and wild animals.

I got about half-way through this 71 minute pilot before I realized I had watched it previously just a few years ago. Oh, well, that happens sometimes. It's still a very good, relatively low-key opener for the series, with a different actor playing Captain Dobie, and fun bad guy turns from Michael Lerner, Michael Conrad and Richard Lynch (who looks even creepier as a young guy). The main emphasis is on establishing the rapport between Glaser and Soul, and they click immediately as a memorable pair of close, maverick cop buddies,

Another strong episode of this remarkably consistent Quinn-Martin sci-fi thriller. This time David Vincent tries to keep a mysterious piece of technology out of alien hands, by turns helped and stymied by an impressive guest cast, which includes James Whitmore, Susan Strasberg, Milton Selzer, Douglas Henderson and good ol' Hamilton Burger himself, William Tallman. Though predominantly an exercise in paranoia and tension, The Invaders frequently features some good action, and this episode is no exception, concluding with a strikingly photographed fight sequence.

susan+strasberg+invaders+tv+1967++eyeglasses.jpg

Susan Strasberg, as the best-looking metallurgist in TV history.

The Texan - 2.5 "Blue Norther"

Star Rory Calhoun co-produced this solid western series. The transfers on the Timeless DVD set are variable but this episode looked OK (the sound was a little poor, though). The Texan is ambushed by some scumbag outlaws (including a very young Harry Dean Stanton). Left for dead and his horse stolen, he boards a stagecoach and ends up sheltering from a heavy storm with several characters, including a chatty saleman (Parley Baer) and a principled gunman (Dan Barton). A typical 50s western story, for all that nicely played and done to a turn. Calhoun has a fine line in steely-eyed charisma, and made several very good big screen westerns in his career, none better than his riff on Doc Holliday, the magnificent Dawn at Socorro.

Jeff, thanks for posting. I always enjoy your take on the various episodes. I've been looking at the Invaders set and was wondering what your thoughts were on the picture and audio quality?

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Only a few more days, and I'll be flying back to the States for a month. Looking forward to seeing family and friends, and being back in America again for a while. (This is also the time I pile my bags full of DVDs and Blu-Rays to take with me back to Japan).

Will that Petrocelli be waiting for you there?

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Will that Petrocelli be waiting for you there?

Oh yeah, Ben...Petrocelli, and a heap more besides. Will definitely post any thoughts I have on that series when I get a chance to dig into the set - which might not be till I get back to Japan...always busy on my return visits Stateside, spending time with family and friends. DVD watching takes a back seat during those times...but not DVD buying!

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Oh yeah, Ben...Petrocelli, and a heap more besides. Will definitely post any thoughts I have on that series when I get a chance to dig into the set - which might not be till I get back to Japan...always busy on my return visits Stateside, spending time with family and friends. DVD watching takes a back seat during those times...but not DVD buying!
Welcome back home.:D

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

¶ The ABC Movie of the Week of Starsky & Hutch had a specific tone that was tamed when the season started.
In short, it was really gritty. It played like an early Seventies Neo Noir a la Busting but on TV.

¶ "Quantity: Unknown" has a unique music score by Richard Markowitz aka the man who created the music style for The Wild Wild West. Actor William Tallman played the sherif in the Gothic entry "The Night of the Man-Eating House" from The Wild Wild West.
"Quantity: Unknown" has a good twist when it came to actor James Whitmore and William Tallman.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
1.5 seasons in on The Streets of San Francisco (plus, as I said, some assorted episodes to start with), and I don't know what it is about the late Karl Malden as Lt. Mike Stone, but so far, from what I've seen, he's made it more than addictive!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
¶ The ABC Movie of the Week of Starsky & Hutch had a specific tone that was tamed when the season started.
In short, it was really gritty. It played like an early Seventies Neo Noir a la Busting but on TV.

¶ "Quantity: Unknown" has a unique music score by Richard Markowitz aka the man who created the music style for The Wild Wild West. Actor William Tallman played the sherif in the Gothic entry "The Night of the Man-Eating House" from The Wild Wild West.
"Quantity: Unknown" has a good twist when it came to actor James Whitmore and William Tallman.

Yes, the Starsky & Hutch pilot had some unusually frank touches for the time...including the young couple lighting up a joint in the opening minutes, before being killed by the two assassins. Was a bit surprised to see that in a TV show from that time. I also noticed the producers tried to get Paul Michael Glaser and (esp.) David Soul shirtless as often as possible.

Even though he didn't appear in it much, I liked the actor who played Capt. Dobie in the pilot (Richard Ward). Not sure why he was replaced...though of course Bernie Hamilton does good work as Dobie throughout the rest of the series.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
1.5 seasons in on The Streets of San Francisco (plus, as I said, some assorted episodes to start with), and I don't know what it is about the late Karl Malden as Lt. Mike Stone, but so far, from what I've seen, he's made it more than addictive!

Malden is great, isn't he? He plays a very warm and human cop, instantly likeable and compelling. Of course, it helps that he had a long and prestigious career in films before he took the Streets gig. He was a mighty fine actor. Of course, Michael Douglas was no slouch either. ;)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Thanks, Marv, but we're not quite there yet...got a lovely 24 hour (door-to-door) trip ahead of us tomorrow...that is, if the incipient typhoon doesn't delay our flight!
As Stymie of the Little Rascals said " I ain't afraid of no Chinese Spittoon"

Safe travels.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Edit - I corrected the quote - God Speed anyway.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finished up another rewatch of Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes this week.

Anything I had to say would probably spoil the show, which is the one thing I refuse to spoil for anyone. Vader was Luke's dad? Meh. Who cares. Soylent Green is made of people? Yeah. The taste varies from person to person. The planet of the apes was Earth all along? Yeah, damn them, they blew it up. But I won't spoil those two shows.

So all I can say is, it's still one of my favorites, and a damn sight better than that horrible US remake.

Oh, and since I had a couple hours to kill, I watched the sadly short lived British show Mr. Sloane. Any show that starts with the lead character hanging himself has to be going somewhere interesting. A perfect little show. I wish it had gotten a second season, but I'm glad it didn't. It wrapped itself up too well.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Small marathon of a more obscure name from the late 50s and 60s Myrna Fahey. Her most notable roles were a recurring role on "Zorro" and then starring in the 1961 sitcom "Father Of The Bride" in the role Elizabeth Taylor played in the movie. (That's an MGM show that in theory could make it to DVD from Warner Archive but hasn't). A lovely presence, she sadly died of cancer at age 40 in 1973, just a couple months after her last role in the TV-movie "The Great American Beauty Contest" (a role she got because she needed a job to keep her medical coverage active).

Checkmate (S1-"Jungle Castle". Features Lee Marvin, just after the cancellation of "M Squad" in a guest shot for the same studio.)
West Point (S1-"Cold Peril". Also has Leonard Nimoy in an early role as a cadet!)
Wagon Train (S4-"The Sally Hawkins Story.")
The Adventures Of Superman (S6-"All That Glitters". The last episode filmed in the series)
Batman (S1-"True Or False Face"/"Holy Rat Race". She plays the henchmoll Blaze. This made her the only woman I know of who has the distinction of appearing in both classic Superman and Batman series).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)

The Beverly Hillbillies
1.12 "The Great Feud"

It was Jerry Scoggins, not Flatt or Scruggs. They only did the instrumentals on the theme song besides appearing as guest stars a few times over the first 4 season. Scoggins sang the theme for the show, although Flatt and Scruggs had their own hit version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks