What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (13 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
On vacation in the States, but here's a brief update of things I've watched over the past 2 1/2 weeks or so (mostly movies, not much vintage TV):

Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

1.2 - "A Clue For Scooby Doo"
1.17 "That's Snow Monster"

"That's Snow Monster" is one of the better episodes of this H-B classic cartoon. Always enjoy Shaggy and Scooby's antics.

Jonny Quest

1.12 "The Dreadful Doll
1.17 "Werewolf of the Timberland"

This show defined my youth, and many of my subsequent interests in entertainment. It had everything a boy would want: friendship, adventure, travel to exotic lands, cool gadgets, monsters, action, you name it! I still like all those things. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray!

The Beverly Hillbillies
- 1.14 "No Place Like Home"

OK, I'm officially tired of Cousin Pearl and Jethrine now...glad to hear that we don't see much of them past season one. No offense to Bea Benaderet, who's a good actress with spot-on timing. Just prefer when the focus is on the central Clampett characters...

Have Gun- Will Travel
2.1 "The Manhunters"
2.2 "In an Evil time"
2.3 "The Man who wouldn't Talk" (with Charles Bronson)
2.4 "The Hanging of Roy Carter"

Watching this terrific western with my Dad is a real treat. Richard Boone is magnetic as Paladin, and the scripts are varied and crisp.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The Outer Limits - Season 1 Blu-ray
The Bellero Shield (1.20) Martin Landau, Sally Kellerman, John Hoyt, Neil Hamilton - Great cast, excellent story, nothing else to add.

Night Gallery - Season 2
Deliveries in the Rear/Stop Killing Me/Dead Weight (2.19) Jack Albertson, Babby Darin, Rosemary Forsyth, James Gregory, Peter Whitney
I'll Never Leave You - Ever/There Aren't Any More McBanes (2.20) Howard Duff, Royal Dano, Joel Grey, John Saxon Lois Nettleton
The Sins of the Fathers/You Can't Get Help Like That Anymore (2.21) Richard Thomas, Cloris Leachman, Broderick Crawford, Michael Dunn, Lana Wood, Henry Jones, Severn Darden
The Caterpillar/Little Girl Lost (2.22) Laurence Harvey, Joanna Pettet, John Williams, William Windom, Ed Nelson, Don Knight

Streets of San Francisco - Season 3
The Twenty-Five Caliber Plague (3.13) Robert Webber, Jonathan Lippe, Anthony Geary - How a single can changes lives.
Mister Nobody (3.14) Sam Jaffe, Celia Lovsky, George Murdock, Don Calfa - Senior citizen makes sacrifice for father-to-be.
False Witness (3.15) A Martinez, Rodolfo Hoyos, Rafael Campos, Malachi Throne - Personal vendetta against a drug dealer
Letters From The Grave (3.16) Peter Strauss, William Windom, Paul Stewart, Arch Johnson, Virginia Gregg - Voice from the grave pointing finger at killer.

Three good and seminal shows.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 3

¶ Episode #8
“Incident at Poco Tiempo”
written by Buckley Angell
directed by Ted Magnum Force Post
cast: Agnes Moorehead, Gigi Perreau, Carolyn Hughes, Lew Gallo, Stewart Bradley

It’s a solo assignment (Yates/Quince) episode and a blackmail episode in which two nuns are forced by two robbers to travel to another town to make a money delivery so that they spare their padre. One scene shines and foreshadows the feel of Dirty Harry at 30:04: at night, Rowdy Yates discreetly follows the nuns on a buggy run when a traveler from the stagecoach steals their money bag and Yates appears and does his Inspector Callahan mannerism with the the punk, if you catch my meaning. Funny how the best or the unusual episodes are directed by Ted Post. Speaking of nuns, actor Clint Eastwood will later star in Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970).

rawhide_dragoon3_yates2_zpsea674a51.jpg

TED POST RAWHIDE FILMOGRAPHY

SEASON 6
Incident of the Dowery Dundee (1964)
Incident of the Rusty Shotgun (1964)
Incident at Ten Trees (1964)
Incident of the Geisha (1963)
Incident of the Rawhiders (1963)
Incident of the Travellin’ Man (1963)

SEASON 5
Incident of the Portrait (1962)

SEASON 4
Rio Salado (1961)

SEASON 3
Incident Before Black Pass (1961)
Incident of the Lost Idol (1961)
Incident of His Brother’s Keeper (1961)
Incident of the Fish Out of Water (1961)
Incident Near the Promised Land (1961)
Incident at the Top of the World (1961)
Incident of the Buffalo Soldier (1961)
Incident at Poco Tiempo (1960)
Incident of the Slavemaster (1960)
Incident at Dragoon Crossing (1960)
Incident at Rojo Canyon (1960)

SEASON 2
Incident of the Last Chance (1960)
Incident of the Dust Flower (1960)

SEASON 1
Incident of the Curious Street (1959)
Incident of the Town in Terror (1959)
Incident of the Widowed Dove (1959)

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Perry Mason - Season 4
The Case of the Wintry Wife (4.17) Alan Hewitt, Barney Phillips - Remote control murder with a garage door opener.
The Case of the Angry Dead Man (4.18) Les Tremayne, Gloria Talbott, Edward Binns, James Milhollin - Forgery begats murder.
The Case of the Blind Man's Bluff (4.19) Who stole the diamonds? The "blind" man. Who killed him, that is the question.
The Case of the Barefaced Witness (4.20) Paul Fix, Josephine Hutchinson, Asam West, Malcolm Atterbury, Roy Roberts - Old scores to be settled

Streets of San Francisco - Season 3
Endgame (3.17) Darleen Carr, Paul Mantee, Tim O'Connor - Injured Steve places Mike on the streets as a beat cop seeking revenge.
Ten Dollar Murder (3.18) Carol Eve Rossen, Michael Wheeler, Bruce Kirby - Troubled teen uses friends for a strange type of revenge.
The Programming of Charlie Blake (3.19) Dean Stockwell, William Smithers, Sharon Acker, John Stephenson, Dee Wallace - Standout episode featuring a complicated game of cat and mouse, reformed (?) sexual predator, and hypnosis.
River of Fear (3.20) Kim Richards, Peter Haskell, Paul Fix, Patricia Smith - Criminal looking for major stolen money goes after kids.

Gunsmoke - Season 3
Doc's Reward - (3.14) Jack Lord in a dual role - Legal conundrum for Matt and Doc just being irascible as always.
Kitty Lost (3.15) Warren Stevens, George Selk - A stranger courts Kitty and crashes near Indians.
Twelfth Night (3.16) William Schallert, Rose Marie, James Griffith - Ozark feud comes to Dodge with large comedic overtones.
Joe Phy (3.17) Paul Richards, Morey Amsterdam - Matt seeks revenge on a man that shot him ruining a good man's reputation.
Buffalo Man (3.18) Jack Klugman, John Anderson, Patricia Smith - Bad men who just don't care.
Kitty Caught (3.19) Bruce Gordon, Pat Conway - Kitty taken as a hostage during a bank robbery, brothers fighting over Kitty and the money.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Season 7
Well, I knew that we would get to this final season at some point. My son and I started this journey around April of last year. Ever since he had expressed an interest in Star Trek, I have been letting him know that I think this is the best Trek (obviously my opinion) because of the growth of the characters and the overarching story. We are now coming to the end and he is still with me. These are the episodes we viewed this weekend.
Image In The Sand (7.1) - Brock Peters - The episode that introduced Ezri.
Shadows and Symbols (7.2) Brock Peters - Benjamin discovers his past with the Prophets.
Afterimage (7.3) Andrew Robinson - Garak and Ezri help each other overcome their difficulties adjusting to life's choices.
Take Me Out to the Holosuite (7.4) Chase Masterson, Max Grodenchik, Aron Eisenberg, Penny Johnson Jerald - Baseball is supposed to be relaxing, so why is Ben so uptight? At least Vic didn't show up ;)!

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 3

¶ Episode #10
"Incident of the Buffalo Soldier"
written by John Dunkel
directed by Ted Hang'Em High Post
guests: Woody Strode, Ray Montgomery, Roy Glenn, Rupert Crouse, Charles Stevens

It’s a solid solo Rowdy Yates episode that starts with Jim Quince. But above all, it's a blue soldier-oriented one combined with a survival drama depicting the odd and contradictory demoted black Sgt. falsely-accused of the murder of his fellow Corporal. Actor Clint Eastwood not only does the voice-over opening narration but proves to be a good actor in this brutal and gritty adventure of man-hunting that foreshadows his films to come: Eastwod is bloody, hurt and almost dead like in a Sergio Leone films. Director Ted Post does a good job by using the wilderness scenery. Actor Woody Strode part as Corporal Washington makes a veiled reference to John Ford's 1960 Sergeant Rutledge.

"Only one rule: Look out for yourself."
—Corporal Gabe Washington.

"They tell us just since the war, this beef cattle we drive north are changing the eating habits of the whole country.
Changing the farming ways too, I understand. Well, I don't know. These beeves might mean a square meal to some,
but they just mean trouble to me. My name's Rowdy Yates, I'm ramrodder of this herd. Sometimes I wish I wasn't."
—Rowdy Yates.

rawhide_s3_bs01_zpsc79636f8.jpg

Ramrod Rowdy Yates' physical state after being ambushed by Corporal Washington.
rawhide_s3_bs_02_zpsa6137b94.jpg

Ramrod Rowdy Yates is still very weak.
rawhide_s3_bs_03_zps634c0133.jpg

Ramrod Rowdy Yates is staring at the grave of the late Corporal Washington.
rawhide_s3_bs04_zps6d19aad3.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Nice write up on "Buffalo Soldier", John! It's a great third season episode. I suspect that this episode and "Incident of the Boomerang" were filmed consecutively, as both feature the great Woody Strode. The dusty and sweaty look of these shows really lends authenticity to the feel of the series. They must have had a lot of filming days at 100 degrees out at Nogales, Coronado, Apache Junction, Cochise, Tucumcari, etc...I'd like to know the production order for the whole series, of course, as Rawhide is probably my favorite Western from that era. The only book on the series that I know of is the rather thin book by David Greenland. That book certainly has it's merits anyway. But it's obvious he didn't have access to the CBS production archive. A much more thorough book would be a dream of mine.

Woody Strode certainly was busy in 1960...Spartacus and Sergeant Rutledge foremost of course...I just saw The Last Voyage on TCM this past weekend. I love those two Rawhide outings, and Woody Strode is a hometown football hero where I grew up!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
RE: RAWHIDE episode order. Didn't the Clay Forrester character show up in an episode way before he was introduced? I think RAWHIDE may have held back episodes to plug in the schedule in case they fell behind. The recurring character, Teddy came back after a long time. I think Teddy was in the first batch filmed on location and wondered if the later episodes he was in were held back or he was brought back because he was in the location footage they used? I don't recall if the Greenland book addressed this.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Bob, the episode "Incident of El Toro", originally filmed in 1962 during production for season 4 or 5, wasn't actually aired until late in season 6, almost 2 years later!...Charles Gray, who had been gone from the series for nearly a year, is suddenly back as scout Clay Forrester in this episode guest starring James Best. I think the character of Clay was given an introductory episode early in season 4, but only became a regular from the Christmas episode on...

The drover "Teddy", played by John Erwin (20 episodes as that marginal character) had been gone for about 2 years when he suddenly pops back in for the late 7th season show "The Spanish Camp", the last series appearance for Sheb Wooley and Rocky Shahan. Of course, Sheb had been gone for about 2 years when he was brought back by newly returned producer Endre Bohem...along with Rocky Shahan and Robert Cabal who hadn't been seen for about a year, having been dropped by the Ben Brady/ Bernard Kowalski/Bruce Geller regime!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I see where my confusion started. Charles Gray appeared as "Flagg" in two RAWHIDE episodes prior to becoming "Clay Forrester".

I have been watching, MAN WITH A SUITCASE 1967-68, with Richard Bradford. Another of the ITC International Man Of Mystery series, Bradford, as McGill is an ex-spy, and private-eye working out of London.

They try to work the suitcase into most, but not all, of the episodes. Actually, we learn in the first episode that the man in the suitcase refers to a picture McGill keeps in his suitcase of the man who can clear him of dropping the ball in his spy work, and being suspected of being a traitor.

This show is famous for McGill getting beat up a lot and winding up in the hospital, but that only happens once, the hospital bit, I think. I like to think of all the single hero ITC shows as one long series and MAN WITH A SUITCASE is a good one, and fits right in. MAN OF THE WORLD and THE SENTIMENTAL AGENT are next up, and then it is time to revisit THE MAN FROM UNCLE. I think I'll start with Season 3 and the gorilla episode.
vlcsnap-2016-03-26-09h21m30s191.png
23-05-2016_2019_010.jpg
60ee2fc308b9efcdabc922b49c173974---s-suitcases.jpg
3c9b1eda745411d1197d4e96b2272e99.jpg
vlcsnap-2016-03-26-09h31m33s401.png
0-picture.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Man in a Suitcase is one of my favorite ITC shows (and shows in general). Richard Bradford makes for a great, growly, world-weary hero.

You probably know this, but Network is currently releasing this series remastered on Region Free Blu-Ray, in volume sets. I've got the first three they've put out so far and the transfers are beautiful.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Back to my regular rotation:

Barney Miller - Season 8
Homeless (8.7) Stanley Brock, Don Calfa, David Clennon - Bruno Bender arrested for excessive violence against, homeless protest ensues.
The Tontine (8.8) Ivor Francis, Ian Wolfe, Dennis Lipscomb - Suicide to end a cousins tontine (pact)??? 2nd look given by attorney.
Examination Day (8.9) Jack Kruschen, Louis Giambalvo, James Gregory, Lyman Ward - Barney and the Inspector go head to head.
The Clown (8.10) Walter Olkewicz, Howard Platt, Michael Tucci, Philip Bruns - Clown attacks, criminals released and Levitt loses medal.
Chinatown: Part1 (8.11) Joanna Barnes, George Murdock, Chao Li Chi - Scanlon stalking, Harris and Dietrich sitting with a witness.
Chinatown: Part 2 (8.12) - Conclusion of above.
Hunger Strike (8.13) Larry Gelman, Stanley Kamel - A worrier goes on a hunger strike to protest the world's politics, mentally ill woman actually is speaking a language and Capt. Miller is up for Deputy Inspector.
The Arrival (8.14) James Gregory, Alan Oppenheimer, Carina Afable - The potential bride is here, MENSA burglary.
Obituary (8.15) Barney Martin, Peggy Pope - Mistakenly identified corpse and a lovesick widow, government surplus warehouse burgled.
Inquiry (8.16) Bonnie Bartlett, Barry Gordon, Joe Mantell - Wojo is under investigation, parents overreact to day care decision.
Old Love (8.17) Sharon Spelman, Mitch Kreindel, Ben Hammer - Dietrich's old flame returns for lunch, child star acts out.
Altercation (8.18) Alex Henteloff, Todd Sussman, Robert Pastorelli - Ripner returns for more, Barney uncovers a secret admirer and a Wall Street pusher.

Gunsmoke - Season 3
Claustrophobia (3.20) Vaughn Taylor, Joe Maross - A tale of friendship.
Ma Tennis (3.21) Nia Varela - A very over protective mom with her own view of justice.
Sunday Supplement (3.22) Werner Klemperer (???), Jack Weston - Similar to The Photographer in story, just not a very good episode.
Wild West (3.23) Murray Hamilton, Phyllis Coates - Excellent story begins with a boy getting the drop on Matt.
The Cabin (3.24) Claude Akins, Harry Dean Stanton, Patricia Barry - Great character study dancing around the violation of hostages. Best episode of this season, possibly of the series so far. The ending still has me in its clutches.
Dirt (8.25) June Lockhart, Wayne Moris - A rancher who likes to visit a special lady is marrying into society, tragedy happens.
Dooley Surrenders (8.26) Strother Martin, Ken Lynch, Ben Wright, James Nusser - Evil cowhand sets up slow witted cowboy. The ending was a surprise.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finished up The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Great show. Deserves its legacy.

The only time in the show I didn't enjoy was season 6, after Chuckles bit the dust. They went really heavy into becoming a Romcom for some reason for a while there. Things did start to pick back up toward the end of the season, though, and when they brought Cousin Oliver in for Ted to adopt, well... you can never go wrong with Cousin Oliver.

And on a purely superficial note, they got rid of Mary's damn perm after midseason.

Other than that lull, though, the show holds up spectacularly, even through cast changes and spin-offs. Oh, except for the season 7 theme remix. Pure crap.

So, the middle of season 6 and the season 7 remixed theme song... not great. Everything else, wonderful.

Now, on to Lou Grant!

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I watched episodes from two of my top 10 all time favorite shows but my favorite episode from this list was actually Daniel Boone which would easily make my top 15 list. In an attempt to avoid spoilers for everyone I've separated any plot description of episodes from my general commentary and also simply used generic online descriptions.

Laverne and Shirley 1:15 Mother Knows Worst
This was the last episode of season one and it's on to season two. I was watching a Cindy Williams and Marshall interview and Cindy said that from the time the studio green lighted the show they pretty much lived at the studio to make the production deadline for season one.
Plot from wikipedia
Shirley's mother, Lily, comes for a visit.

JAG 1:14 Smoked
This is one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time from another thread. I've purchased all of the individual season box sets and will buy the complete boxed set when it goes on sale.
Plot from wikipedia
A lightning-damaged Tomcat makes an emergency landing in Cuba, so Harm and Meg go there to try to "talk" it back before the Cubans have a chance to download the avionics and sell them to Iran. There is a new JAG, Rear Admiral A. J. Chegwidden, a former Navy SEAL.

Bewitched 1:11 It Takes One to Know One
From the story itself to the clothing and furnishings everything about this show is a joy to watch. Watching this episode reminded me of how good actors and actresses used to be with little details like facial expressions and vocal inflections. I was able to get a copy of the Sony complete series box set and the picture and sound are excellent.
Plot from wikipedia
When Darrin begins searching for a beautiful model to play "Miss Jasmine", Endora sees it as an opportunity to break up her daughter's marriage and sends a gorgeous witch to seduce him.

Walker Texas Ranger 1:11 The Legend of Running Bear
Like Jag, This is also one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time from another thread. I've purchased all of the individual season box sets and will buy the complete boxed set when it goes on sale.
Plot from wikipedia
Walker's cousin, David "Little Eagle" Jackson, returns to the reservation after studying medicine to find that many do not like him, including his girlfriend's father (a member of the reservation's tribal council), whose murder he soon witnesses. Walker must clear his cousins' name when he is arrested for the murder by two corrupt FBI agents who framed him for murder of the tribal leader who they killed after he uncovers they conspired with a mining tycoon to steal land belonging to the reservation.

Family Affair 3:26 The Matter of Dignity
This show was a favorite of mine growing up. The DVD picture quality is a step up from the streaming version I've been watching on Amazon.
Plot from wikipedia
Mr. French is accused of sending worrisome letters to a woman, and he and Uncle Bill seek out the real culprit.

Mary Tyler Moore Show 3:23 Put on a Happy Face 9.2
I was thinking about buying season 6 of this show so I looked up the highest rated season 3 episode on IMBD.
Plot from IMDB
A stained dress, a sprained foot, a bad cold, and a hair bump -- what else is going to wrong for Mary before the annual Teddy Awards banquet?

Secret Agent 2:6 Fish on the Hook 8.0
Maybe it was just the mood I was in but I enjoyed this episode more than the other one hour episodes I've watched of this show. Amazon just added it along with the prisoner. I'll still watch Secret Agent with the DVDs to get the best audio but I definitely want to start watching the Prisoner on Amazon.
Plot from IMDB
M9 receives a mayday signal from an agent in an Arab country. He has been compromised and must get out. The agent is also the contact for a local spy called the Fish. Drake is sent undercover to bring the Fish out.

Hot In Cleveland 2:2 Bad Romance
This show always makes me laugh and is a lot like the Golden Girls. I like how they bring in guest stars that have connections to the main characters. In this episode Bonnie Franklin who played Valerie's the mother on One Day at a time guest stars.
Plot from wikipedia
Melanie begins to question if her relationship is right for her when she meets Pete's family, gets off on the wrong foot with his mother (Bonnie Franklin), and comes face to face with Pete's older brother... Hank (John Schneider), who hit on her in Season 1. Meanwhile, Joy attempts a scam so she can get a green card, but Rick wants to romance their immigration lawyer. Victoria starts dating an older billionaire, who looks like he's already met his maker.

Daniel Boone 1:7 The Sound of Wings 7.9
As I mentioned in the intro this was my favorite episode from this set, there wasn't a dull moment in the entire 50 minutes. Similar to Walker Texas Ranger Daniel Boone is a stand up guy and almost always does the right thing. I also like the way he's always a little smarter than his enemy and it's fun to see how he'll get out of different situations. Boonesborough isn't that far away and I told my wife we need to go visit there before the summer is over.
Plot from IMDB
Major Wellington of the British forces asks Boone to assist him in the rescue of 4 British officers who were trying to negotiate a treaty with the local Indians. Boone agrees to go, but Wellington kills Boone and assumes his identity. Wellington's scheme to negotiate a treaty comes undone when Boone arrives unexpectedly at the village Wellington is in. The Indians don't know who to believe, and set the two men against each in a series of trials to discover the truth.

Home Improvement 1:5 Wild Kingdom 7.6
Always look forward to episodes of Home Improvement. Tim always puts together a good show. I was glad to see Fox pick up Last Man Standing for this coming season.
Plot from IMDB
Mark is bringing his Cub Scout pals for a visit. Tim has to re-light the pilot light of the furnace and he decides to show Randy and Brad how to do it. While in the basement, they discover something moving down there.

Chuck 2:2 Chuck Versus the Seduction 8.6
John Larroquette does a great job as a retired secret agent. This show has a really nice balance of comedy and drama. I always thought this was an under appreciated show so the 8.6 rating for this episode on IMDB surprised me a little.
Plot from IMDB
The team finds out the real part for the Intersect has been stolen. The team tracks down a legendary agent, who has had experience dealing with female spies. Chuck must learn the art of seduction.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Well, it hasn't been released on disc, but at least I have my own recording-to-disc, which I watched tonight, of the 1991 Season 4 episode of Murphy Brown, "The Queen of Soul" guest starring the late great Aretha Franklin.

I'm not normally a big fan of the "special guest appearance" episodes of fictional series where a big star appears as himself or herself. It rarely works and usually just feels like a ratings stunt that takes away from the normalcy of the show. But All in the Family made it work with Sammy Davis Jr.'s appearance, and Murphy Brown made it work with Aretha's appearance.

Aretha was amazing and will definitely be missed. Fortunately, her music will live on forever.

R.I.P., Aretha.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was thinking about buying season 6 of this show so I looked up the highest rated season 3 episode on IMBD.

Yeah, don't let my opinion put you off. Season 6 is worth it for Chuckles Bites The Dust alone. The episodes centering trying to put Mary together with one certain guy weren't great, but he was dropped quickly and never mentioned again. Overall, the good outweighs the not so good.

Anyway, Lou Grant, S1 Disc 1.

Well, he's still Lou... just in a more realistic setting with less absurdity around him. And they really just dumped him in the deep end, didn't they? 20 minutes in, he's at the City Desk like he's been there for a decade. Grass didn't grow under TV plots in 1977.

Also, having only seen Nancy Marchand as super evil bitch Livia Soprano, she's quite surprisingly fun here.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 3

¶ Episode #12
“Incident at the Top of the World”
written by Louis Vittes, Peggy and Lou Shaw
story by Peggy and Lou Shaw
directed by Ted Hang'Em High Post
guests: Robert Culp, Les Tremayne, Jan Shepard, Paul Carr, Ronald Foster, Bill Cutter

It’s an odd case entry dealing with a war veteran named Craig Stern suffering from morphine addiction because an experimental operation. It’s another blue soldier drama after the season opener “Incident at Rojo Canyon” and “Incident of the Buffalo Soldier”. Anyway, a military MD begs Favor to hire the sick veteran to work as a cow hand to help him to drop drug when his former flame makes things complicated. The strong point of this hard edge character’s study is the realistic and manic performance of actor Robert Culp who displays the pathology of his mental state with dreadful consequences on the drive—in a way, Culp is acting as Allen Leighton during his schizophrenic episode in “The Architects of Fear”. The episode title refers to the obsessive catch-phrase of the veteran: “I’m on top of the world.”

War veteran Craig Kern, in his military hospital room, watching the arrival of Gil Favor.
rawhide_s3_kern01_zpsb0f4a212.jpg

War veteran Craig Kern as a cow hand for the outfit of Gil Favor.
rawhide_s3_kern03_zps74a11387.jpg

War veteran Craig Kern has an argument with ramrod Rowdy Yates!
rawhide_s3_kern02_zpsb35c2cb1.jpg

War veteran Craig Kern experiences the side effects of addiction and even sings a crazy tune.
rawhide_s3_kern05_zpsd92d00ee.jpg

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Yeah, don't let my opinion put you off. Season 6 is worth it for Chuckles Bites The Dust alone. The episodes centering trying to put Mary together with one certain guy weren't great, but he was dropped quickly and never mentioned again. Overall, the good outweighs the not so good.

Anyway, Lou Grant, S1 Disc 1.

Well, he's still Lou... just in a more realistic setting with less absurdity around him. And they really just dumped him in the deep end, didn't they? 20 minutes in, he's at the City Desk like he's been there for a decade. Grass didn't grow under TV plots in 1977.

Also, having only seen Nancy Marchand as super evil bitch Livia Soprano, she's quite surprisingly fun here.

Thanks, I ended up ordering it and just received it so I'll check that episode out.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
RAWHIDE SEASON 3

¶ Find a triptych ("Incident of the Big Blowout", "Incident of the Fish Out of Water", "Incident On the Road Back") of interconnected personal stories defined as end of the trail/off-duty segments in which the main protagonists wear their civilian/city dweller costumes and enjoy their salary/days off work. These particular stories used to pop-up at the end of a long season as a conclusion but not in the middle of it. Both are related to the town of Sedalia, Missouri.

¶ Episode #14
"Incident of the Big Blowout"
written by John Dunkel
directed by George B. Templeton
guests: Mari Blanchard, Hugh Sanders, Myron Healey, William Tannen, Don Harvey

This is the selling of the herd/end of the job that includes the aftermaths of the late drover Johnny Colter and in the process Rowdy Yates is accused of murdering a fancy bounty hunter and fails to be lynched by the townspeople. The outfit of Mr. Favor unwinds completely and wreaks havoc at the saloon and Wishbone reforms the cooking of this saloon. Features no sign-off scene at the end of the episode and with a new end titles at the town of Sedalia.

Rowdy Yates is arrested by the Sedalia sheriff • Gil Favor pays a visit to Rowdy Yates in jail.
rawhide_s3_sedalia1_zpsbc4ffad9.jpg

Gil Favor warns his outfit not to break free Rowdy Yates • The outfit is listening to Gil Favor.
rawhide_s3_sedalia2_zpsceb5b71b.jpg

Pete Nolan and Co. come close to the sheriff office • Pete Nolan is ready to execute the lynch mob.
rawhide_s3_sedalia3_zps9554532c.jpg

Wishbone and Co. come close to the sheriff office • Wishbone is ready to execute the lynch mob.
rawhide_s3_sedalia4_zps54045024.jpg

The day after of the night showdown, the outfit poses for a photographer at the train station.
rawhide_s3_sedalia5_zps4c27c7ab.jpg

The family portrait of the outfit continues at the train station.
rawhide_s3_sedalia6_zpseab07d6f.jpg

Wishbone and Rowdy greet Gil Favor before his departure to Philadelphia.
rawhide_s3_sedalia7_zps4d63036d.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great screen caps, John! Those 3 consecutive episodes represent a very satisfying story arc and were heavily promoted by CBS at the time, February sweeps of 1961. They're brilliant and near perfect in my view. And for a casual fan who's just curious about Clint Eastwood's old timey show, they would make a perfect trilogy. And along the way, some of these casual fans would discover there was a hell of a lot to love about it, way beyond Clint himself. They might become fans of Eric Fleming, Sheb Wooley, Paul Brinegar, Steve Raines and the rest of the drovers. Man, I wish season 4 looked this good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks