What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (3 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Incidentally, El Dorado featured another fetching Howard Hawks "discovery" in Charlene Holt.
Ms. Holt co-starred in one of my most improbable favorite movies, Man's Favorite Sport with Rock Hudson. She dated Rock for some time, which must have led to some interesting, if not confusing, evenings for her.

upload_2019-9-18_19-6-18.jpeg

Rock, dear--what do you think of this new Teddy I bought? Rock?...Rock?

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Episode Commentary
Father Knows Best
"A Friend in Need" (S4E27)--1958

I'm going to surprise some of you by shelving my usually snarky commentary on any particular story. When I first saw this one years ago, I knew I was watching one of the most endearing sitcom episodes I've ever seen. I still think so. It's a bit of a take on a fairy tale, but written into the fabric of the show's premise in such a charming manner as to be just darn heartwarming.

The Anderson family is awakened by the doorbell at 3:00 in the morning. Upon answering, they find a mongrel dog sitting on their porch. She's very cute and smart (rang the doorbell) and her collar identifies her as 'Duchess' but nothing more. She quickly nestles her way into the hearts of the family.

The scene fades into a backstory of Professor Van Deering (wonderfully played by Edwin Jerome) and his traveling show. The kindly old man features Duchess, "the Wonder Dog", to his delighted audiences while selling his health elixir ($1.00 per bottle). When the Professor launches into his well-practiced sales spiel, the crowd quickly disperses after Duchess finishes her tricks. No sales are made. Master and dog console each other as only old friends can. In short order, the police ("minions of the law" per Van Deering) lay chase to the pair. The Professor takes off in his ramshackle truck, unknowingly leaving Duchess behind. He is jailed for operating without a license and has to languish there for a few days. The poor man is beside himself that his devoted dog might be captured and sent to the dog pound, or worse.

View attachment 63202 View attachment 63203
The Professor and Duchess; Kathy becomes particularly enamored with the dog

Thus, the wandering Duchess finds the Andersons. The family has grown to love the dog despite Jim's efforts to find the rightful owner. None of them actually want the dog to be retrieved. But the Professor is finally released and begins to tirelessly travel the streets of the city in search of his faithful companion. All night he searches, finally lucking onto the Anderson's street. Duchess hears the truck and rushes out to meet her master--both are happily and winsomely reunited. The Andersons are heartbroken to lose Duchess but understand her joy in finding her rightful home.

If you haven't shed a tear by the end of this story, well, you're just not human. Written and directed by Emmy winners Dorothy Cooper and Peter Tewksberry, I guarantee this is well worth watching if you have the opportunity.
I just don't know if I can handle all this sincerity, Russ, ;) Sounds like a good episode...pretty much anything with a dog in it is worth watching.

Peter Tewksbury not only directed 134 episodes of Father Knows Best, but also every episode of the great first season of My Three Sons. The guy obviously knew how to make a family sitcom work.
Guess I'm not human. I don't like dogs - never have - and don't care for them as the main story/theme/character in TV shows. I don't like Lassie or Rin Tin Tin - there... I've said it. On disc this'd be an episode I'd likely skip or half pay attention as I'd find it about as interesting as those involving athletics/sports. If you're going to give me a story with dogs make 'em werewolves.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
For Russ, Jeff, John and the rest of us who have sung the praises of the lovely Michelle Carey, I decided to get in my Way Back TV Time Machine and revisit the two Wild, Wild West episodes that she appeared in...and take these screen caps from the eye popping CBS DVDs...

You think you have a bad boss...meet Count Carlos Manzeppi (Victor Buono of course), with his lovely, but duplicitous minion...she unfortunately receives the Goldfinger treatment, 19th century style... S2's Night of the Feathered Fury...
Michelle Cary 2.JPG

Michelle Cary 6.JPG

Michelle Cary 4.JPG

S4's Night of the Winged Fury...Vasquez Rocks State Park...
Michelle Cary 12.JPG

Michelle Cary 13.JPG

Michelle Cary 9.JPG

Michelle Cary 10.JPG

Michelle Cary 11.JPG

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
For Russ, Jeff, John and the rest of us who have sung the praises of the lovely Michelle Carey, I decided to get in my Way Back TV Time Machine and revisit the two Wild, Wild West episodes that she appeared in...and take these screen caps from the eye popping CBS DVDs...

You think you have a bad boss...meet Count Carlos Manzeppi (Victor Buono of course), with his lovely, but duplicitous minion...she unfortunately receives the Goldfinger treatment, 19th century style... S2's Night of the Feathered Fury...
View attachment 63229
View attachment 63230
View attachment 63233

View attachment 63235
View attachment 63236
View attachment 63237
View attachment 63238
View attachment 63239
Impossibly thick brown hair, ice blue eyes--and a few other obvious attributes were the stuff of which my dreams were made.
Great pics, Randy. I'm glad others in here think Michele was all that, even without a bag of chips.

upload_2019-9-19_9-1-58.jpeg

This is about the only pic I could find of her at a slightly older age--which leads me to believe she probably aged pretty well up to the end.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
One last post highlighting just some of the great location filming from Bonanza's long run...for anyone who is thinking of picking it up, the recently released season 9 sets feature some great scenery and action at Lake Tahoe, Zephyr Cove and the Truckee Strip...screen caps from Showdown at Tahoe (Nov. 19, 1967)...David Canary had joined the regular cast, also with Karl Swenson, Kevin Hagen, Bing Russell...guest starring the great Richard Anderson...
Bonanza 3.JPG

Bonanza 2.JPG

Bonanza 9.JPG

Bonanza 8.JPG

Bonanza 10.JPG

Bonanza 11.JPG

Bonanza 12.JPG

Bonanza 13.JPG

Bonanza 16.JPG

Bonanza 1.JPG

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wonderful stuff, Randall! Thank you for your spirited defense of the at times impressive exterior filming and sweep of Bonanza - and especially for your stirring tribute to Eric Fleming, as fine a TV cowboy as ever graced the screen. Sad to hear of his terrible childhood, and of course his tragic and unnecessary death.

I've not seen this Season 8 two-parter, but am eager to after your post. It's good to be reminded that even a ubiquitous western like Bonanza, that many classic TV fans probably take for granted, was capable of producing episodes of such high quality far more often than we may remember.
Thanks Jeff. Eric Fleming proved to be a much better actor than he ever gave himself credit for. His consistent humility in every interview I've ever seen reveals a guy who was genuinely humble, unassuming and grateful for his unexpected success with Rawhide and the sudden riches that came his way from that long running show. His newspaper interviews make for some rarely seen, even shocking ("I wanted to kill my father"), insights to his deprived and abusive childhood poverty and eventual abandonment. Stuff way beyond the usual vacuous and superficial publicity articles of those days...for the most part, his relationship with Clint Eastwood was a good one, they even fished together...but others said he was distant, workmanlike and hard to be drawn out socially...things were really going great for him in 1966, with a role in Doris Day's movie The Glass Bottom Boat, this phenomenal Bonanza two parter (with a two week shooting schedule and a big budget), his relocation to Hawaii (had he lived we probably would have seen him in Hawaii 5-0), and possible marriage to his long term girlfriend...the workplace negligence (like with Vic Morrow) worsens the needless tragedy of his death in Peru...which very nearly killed Nico Minardos as well...

Great pics, Randy. I'm glad others in here think Michele was all that, even without a bag of chips.

upload_2019-9-19_9-1-58-jpeg.63247

This is about the only pic I could find of her at a slightly older age--which leads me to believe she probably aged pretty well up to the end.
Glad you like them Russ...with you and Jeff gushing over her, and John Hopper having mentioned these two Wild, Wild West episodes, (and it's been years since I viewed them), so I decided to re-visit them with rewarding results...she looks great as an older lady in that photo too...I'll bet she did age gracefully...I've seen some spectacular 70 year old ladies lately...I think Linda Evans looked pretty good in that recent photo as well...she'd still be right in my dating range, ha, ha...

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Karl Swenson, Kevin Hagen, Bing Russell...guest starring the great Richard Anderson...

I saw the onscreen credits for these chaps countless times throughout the Silver Age.

Back to Bonanza, I remember some great episodes featuring fine guests:
"The Avenger" (1960) with Vic Morrow
"The Crucible" (1962) with Lee Marvin
The Long Night (1962) with James Coburn

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So maybe you think Old Yeller got what was coming to him in the end?
Howie, Howie, Howie--say it ain't so....
Don't know - I've never seen the movie. It's about a dog.

If it's bad - then no. I don't wish a dog "ill" however there are certain breeds I feel should never be a "pet". I just don't like 'em.

There's been only 1 dog I've ever liked - that one belongs to my son. She's a standard size Schnauzer and is quite unobtrusive and nice. She's the only dog I've ever allowed in my house although I'm not particularly happy about that. I tolerate her because she's quiet, friendly, and well behaved. Plus my son lives ~12 hours away and boarding her when they come for visits isn't practical so she comes too.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Don't know - I've never seen the movie. It's about a dog.

If it's bad - then no. I don't wish a dog "ill" however there are certain breeds I feel should never be a "pet". I just don't like 'em.

There's been only 1 dog I've ever liked - that one belongs to my son. She's a standard size Schnauzer and is quite unobtrusive and nice. She's the only dog I've ever allowed in my house although I'm not particularly happy about that. I tolerate her because she's quiet, friendly, and well behaved. Plus my son lives ~12 hours away and boarding her when they come for visits isn't practical so she comes too.
Okay. I'll understand if you skip over any of my "Jeff's Collie" (Lassie) commentaries. No offence taken.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
View attachment 63236

Thanks for posting those great screencaps of the beautiful Ms. Carey in The Wild Wild West, Randall! I don't think I've seen that S4 two-parter in a long time, if at all...will have to give it a spin this weekend!

Those S9 Bonanza caps look incredible as well. I had planned on stopping after S6, after Adam leaves, but your recent posts have heavily persuaded me to keep buying the later seasons. I do remember liking David Canary's Candy character.

Last edited:

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald

Carey is so very...

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Thanks for posting those great screencaps of the beautiful Ms. Carey in The Wild Wild West, Randall! I don't think I've seen that S4 two-parter in a long time...will have to give it a spin this weekend!

Those S9 Bonanza caps look incredible as well. I had planned on stopping after S6, after Adam leaves, but your recent posts have heavily persuaded me to keep buying the later seasons. I do remember liking David Canary's Candy character.

Jeff, before watching that peculiar episode, read this.

THE WILD WILD WEST SEASON 4

“The Night of the Winged Terror, Part 1 & 2”

Find a list of categories to give you an idea.

Animals (raven)
Bandits/Cowboys/Henchmen/Mercenaries (the Brass Brothers)

Blue Corduroy Trailer Outfit
Colored Sunglasses

Conditioning/Drug/Gas/Poison (drugged dart and brainwashing: kinetoscope, drops of an eye drug, a raven, orange spectacles; the phony Lazslo Spectrum)
Doppelgänger (Frank Harper as Ambassador Ramirez)
Federals (Bureaucrats and Officials) (four train agents)
Female Villains (Raven executive Laurette)
Freaks (large-sized skull Tycho)
Gadgets by Jim (skeleton key, plastic explosive, knife boot)
Infernal Machines/Weapons of Destruction (backwards firing handgun)
Injection (the hypnotical serum)

Kinetoscope
Lawman (Sheriff Elmo Stone)
Locations (Southern Territories, Pinewood, State Capitol, Wolfville, San Pablo, Nogales)
Mad Scientists (Raven leader Tycho, Professor Thaddeus Toombs and the two traveling Dr. Horatio Occularis)
Mannequins (a dummy of Tycho hidden behind a chair)
Martial Arts (Karate/Kung Fu)
Megalomaniacs (Professor Thaddeus Toombs, large-sized skull Tycho)

Mexican
Militaries (Colonel Chaveros)
Museum/Exhibition (State Museum of Fine Arts)
Passageways/Side Doors (blacksmith’s and cantina’s revolving wall, air vent)
Political Assassinations (James West, Frank Harper, Ambassador Ramirez)
President (President Grant)
References to previous Episodes (Howling Light, Brain, Cadre, Falcon)
Simulacrum and Two-Timers (Raven secret agent Colonel Chaveros working as the ambassador advisor, a dummy of Tycho hidden behind a chair)
Sound (microphone and speaker)
Subversives (Tycho and The Raven)
Television Connection (The Outer Limits: “The Sixth Finger”)
Terrorists (The Raven)
Traps and Tortures (a peon puppet that fires a drugged dart, exploding pinatas)
Undercovers and Disguises by Frank Harper (San Pablo Mayor Hiram Sneed, Ambassador Ramirez, old German chemist Professor Wolfgang Kralle)

Wrestling

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Jeff, before watching that peculiar episode, read this.

THE WILD WILD WEST SEASON 4

“The Night of the Winged Terror, Part 1 & 2”

Find a list of categories to give you an idea.

Animals (raven)
Bandits/Cowboys/Henchmen/Mercenaries (the Brass Brothers)

Blue Corduroy Trailer Outfit
Colored Sunglasses

Conditioning/Drug/Gas/Poison (drugged dart and brainwashing: kinetoscope, drops of an eye drug, a raven, orange spectacles; the phony Lazslo Spectrum)
Doppelgänger (Frank Harper as Ambassador Ramirez)
Federals (Bureaucrats and Officials) (four train agents)
Female Villains (Raven executive Laurette)
Freaks (large-sized skull Tycho)
Gadgets by Jim (skeleton key, plastic explosive, knife boot)
Infernal Machines/Weapons of Destruction (backwards firing handgun)
Injection (the hypnotical serum)

Kinetoscope
Lawman (Sheriff Elmo Stone)
Locations (Southern Territories, Pinewood, State Capitol, Wolfville, San Pablo, Nogales)
Mad Scientists (Raven leader Tycho, Professor Thaddeus Toombs and the two traveling Dr. Horatio Occularis)
Mannequins (a dummy of Tycho hidden behind a chair)
Martial Arts (Karate/Kung Fu)
Megalomaniacs (Professor Thaddeus Toombs, large-sized skull Tycho)

Mexican
Militaries (Colonel Chaveros)
Museum/Exhibition (State Museum of Fine Arts)
Passageways/Side Doors (blacksmith’s and cantina’s revolving wall, air vent)
Political Assassinations (James West, Frank Harper, Ambassador Ramirez)
President (President Grant)
References to previous Episodes (Howling Light, Brain, Cadre, Falcon)
Simulacrum and Two-Timers (Raven secret agent Colonel Chaveros working as the ambassador advisor, a dummy of Tycho hidden behind a chair)
Sound (microphone and speaker)
Subversives (Tycho and The Raven)
Television Connection (The Outer Limits: “The Sixth Finger”)
Terrorists (The Raven)
Traps and Tortures (a peon puppet that fires a drugged dart, exploding pinatas)
Undercovers and Disguises by Frank Harper (San Pablo Mayor Hiram Sneed, Ambassador Ramirez, old German chemist Professor Wolfgang Kralle)

Wrestling

Thanks for the detailed rundown, John! Hope to watch part one tonight...

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Avengers – 5.17 “Return of the Cybernauts”
My God, does this color Mrs. Peel-era episode look absolutely fantabulous on Network’s new Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray! It’s a very good episode, too, much more serious than usual, anchored by the steely presence of Peter Cushing, out for revenge against Steed and Mrs. Peel for the demise of his brother, the inventor of the dreaded robot killers. It features a good guest cast too, including Charles Tingwell, Fulton McKay and Frederick Jaeger. I enjoyed this one very much, particularly as it gave me the opportunity to bask in the sheer, unadulterated glory of Diana Rigg in HD.

maxresdefault.jpg

Father Ted

2.6 “The Plague”
2.8 “Cigarettes, Alcohol and Rollerblading”
3.3 “Speed 3”
More comedy genius from the pens of series' creators Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews. "The Plague" features another appearance by that nasty Bishop Brennan (who had his arse well and truly kicked in a previous episode I covered), who happens to be visiting Craggy Island in the midst of an epidemic of rapidly populating rabbits. The trouble is, the fearsome bishop has an unreasoning fear of the floppy-eared little critters. In "Cigarettes...," Father Ted's archnemesis, Father Dick Byrne, cons Ted and crew into giving up their pet vices for Lent, with predictably disastrous results. And in "Speed 3," when Father Ted gets a philandering milkman fired, the disgruntled man rigs a bomb on his milk float, which will go off if the temp driver - which happens to be doltish innocent, Father Dougal - drops under 4 mph. Seriously, if you haven't seen this show, you really are missing out on some great British comedy.

Taking a cue from Jack P., I watched a couple of episodes to commemorate the recently-departed Carol Lynley:

It Takes a Thief
– 2.19 “Boom at the Top”
Along with The Wild Wild West, It Takes a Thief was one of my chief after school syndication treats in the late 70s / early 80s. Unlike TWWW, I hadn't seen an episode since. Rampant stupidity on my part caused me to pass on the Complete Series set when E1 released it several years ago. But luckily, some kind soul has uploaded all 66 episodes onto YouTube, seemingly uncut and in decent shape probably the same so-so masters used for the DVD set). So I decided to check out the episode in which Ms. Lynley guest starred. It's a dandy, which puts our hero, former cat burglar turned government agent Alexander Mundy (Robert Wagner, at the apex of his swinging '60s cool) in a multi-faceted jam. Barry Sullivan plays a courier who's flirtation with betraying government secrets to a thuggish foreign dignitary (Will Kuluva) results in the arming of a bomb in the attache case that's handcuffed to his wrist. So what's this paragon of patriotism do in such a crisis? He crashes a party and threatens to blow up the entire floor of Mundy's apartment building if Al doesn't disarm the bomb. Mundy must also deal with two thieves who are at the party, ready to rip off the upper-crust guests. One is an old acquaintance of Al's, a smalltime pickpocket (Roddy McDowell), and the other is the far shapelier Carol Lynley...one of them having recently snatched a top secret microdot which Al has been tasked to recover. Watching Mundy calmly, and with admirable sangfroid, work six sides against the middle makes for one diverting hour of stylish spy-fi goodness.

4d268e6003f4c449d16d81d51bb1ec4d.jpg

Quincy M.E. – 1.2 “Who’s Who in Neverland”
This one begins with a murder, but throws in a twist, as Quincy tries to identify the corpse of a woman the police believe to be a prostitute who drank herself to death, when in actuality she was a high society Hollywood hanger-on whose promised tell-all manuscript brings a couple of ex-CIA scumbags to town to tie up loose ends. The rule-breaking maverick Quincy is a likable and energetic protagonist, but all the tricks, subterfuges and runarounds he pulls would of course never fly in the real world. With Monte Markham, Joanna Barnes, Dina Merrill, and of course, Ms. Lynley, who's stuck with a most unbecoming hairdo.

Mannix - 1.6 “The Cost of a Vacation”
Let’s see…Mannix takes on a case for an old friend = check (in this case, an ex-girlfriend, played by Marlyn Mason, who spends a good chunk of the episode in a bikini - yay!)

Mannix eats a sandwich = check.

Mannix gets cold-cocked at least once = check.

Mannix tools around in his swank car, talking on his hi-tech car phone = check.

Mannix spars with his Intertect boss, Lew (Joseph Campanella), who smiles tolerantly after Joe leaves the room = check.

Mannix fails to prevent several murders, including that of another old friend = check.

Mannix guns down the bad guy at the finale = check.

Yep, sounds like a typical Mannix episode, all right.

p1146799_e_h6_ac.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks