What's new

What did you watch this week in classic TV on DVD(or Blu)? (2 Viewers)

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The Avengers – 5.17 “Return of the Cybernauts”
My God, does this color Mrs. Peel-era episode look absolutely fantabulous on Network’s new Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray! It’s a very good episode, too, much more serious than usual, anchored by the steely presence of Peter Cushing, out for revenge against Steed and Mrs. Peel for the demise of his brother, the inventor of the dreaded robot killers. It features a good guest cast too, including Charles Tingwell, Fulton McKay and Frederick Jaeger. I enjoyed this one very much, particularly as it gave me the opportunity to bask in the sheer, unadulterated glory of Diana Rigg in HD.

That color season with Diana Rigg made my day as a kid and I was sad when she left at the end of that color season.

It Takes a Thief – 2.19 “Boom at the Top”
Along with The Wild Wild West, It Takes a Thief was one of my chief after school syndication treats in the late 70s / early 80s. Unlike TWWW, I hadn't seen an episode since. Rampant stupidity on my part caused me to pass on the Complete Series set when E1 released it several years ago. But luckily, some kind soul has uploaded most of the episodes onto YouTube, seemingly uncut and in decent shape. So I decided to check out the episode in which Ms. Lynley guest starred. It's a dandy, which puts our hero, former cat burglar turned government agent Alexander Mundy (Robert Wagner, at the apex of his swinging '60s cool) in a multi-faceted jam. Barry Sullivan plays a courier who's flirtation with betraying government secrets to a thuggish foreign dignitary (Will Kuluva) results in the arming of a bomb in the attache case that's handcuffed to his wrist. So what's this paragon of patriotism do in such a crisis? He crashes a party and threatens to blow up the entire floor of Mundy's apartment building if Al doesn't disarm the bomb. Mundy must also deal with two thieves who are at the party of Washington movers and shakers. One is Roddy McDowell and the other is the far shapelier Carol Lynley...one of them having recently snatched a top secret microdot which Al has been tasked to recover. Watching Mundy calmly, and with admirable sangfroid, work six sides against the middle makes for one diverting hour of stylish spy-fi goodness.

I never watched a single episode from that series. I remembered that there was a picture quality issue with the E1 megaset,
meaning it was not restored. You haven't missed a thing, by the way.

Mannix - 1.6 “The Cost of a Vacation”
Let’s see…Mannix takes on a case for an old friend = check (in this case, an ex-girlfriend, played by Marlyn Mason, who spends a good chunk of the episode in a bikini - yay!)

Does Joe wear his fancy Persol sunglasses in this entry?

Mannix 1967 CBS Fall Promo

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Remember Her?
Classic TV Guest Star Tidbit

If you ever saw Nancy Kovack as Medea doing an erotic dance in Jason and the Argonauts, you wouldn't soon forget it. A frequent guest star on TV series in the 60's and 70's, she also starred in a number of films in the same era. Beginning as a model, she posed for thousands of photos that exuberantly showcased her rather incredible figure. This was back when models didn't starve themselves down to toothpick stature. I was okay with that. Still am.

upload_2019-9-20_8-24-4.jpeg
images
upload_2019-9-20_8-26-8.jpeg
images

At some point in the late ‘50s, Nancy was invited to a wedding that was taking place in New York City. She was “discovered” and became a Glea Girl for The Jackie Gleason Show, which began a professional television career.

In 1969, Nancy married famed Indian conductor Zubin Mehta, who's led the Los Angeles, New York and currently the Israeli Philharmonic orchestra. Ms. Novack turned 84 this year.

Last edited:

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Remember Her?

If you ever saw Nancy Kovack as Medea doing an erotic dance in Jason and the Argonauts, you wouldn't soon forget it. A frequent guest star on TV series in the 60's and 70's, she also starred in a number of films in the same era. Beginning as a model, she posed for thousands of photos that exuberantly showcased her rather incredible figure.

She was Joe Mannix's great love in the fantastic season 2 "The Girl Who Came in with the Tide" (1969). Don't miss that one!

She appeared thrice on Mannix.
"Sing a Song of Murder" (1973) ... Barbara Sonderman
"The Inside Man" (1972) ... Angela (as Nancy Mehta)
"The Girl Who Came in with the Tide" (1969) ... Brett Nichols

PS: I also remembered her in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, The Man from UNCLE, Hawaii Five-O.

nancy_k.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I never watched a single episode from that series. I remembered that there was a picture quality issue with the E1 megaset,
meaning it was not restored. You haven't missed a thing, by the way.

Oh, I don't know...it's a pretty cool show, John, and even if the DVD set doesn't offer pristine picture quality, going by the YouTube vids, it still looks fine enough watched on a 50 inch HDTV. And it's always fun to see Malachi Throne (as Mundy's SIA boss and handler, Noah). Throne unfortunately was replaced for the third and final season, but on the plus side, Fred Astaire showed up in several episodes as Mundy's father, also a gentleman thief.

Speaking of Nancy Kovak...The female guest cast of It Takes a Thief is a veritable who's who of sexy '60s starlets.

MV5BNjVjNWY0ZjQtNzFkYS00ZmQ1LTgwMDAtZWFjODc4NTVhN2U1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzczNzY3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Of course, Mannix wasn't too shabby when it came to the female pulchritude department either.

65b6681280b7ea7c334dfa97916c53ab.jpg

Does Joe wear his fancy Persol sunglasses in this entry?

Don't remember any shades on Joe in this episode, but he does wear a full suit to the beach, right before a sniper starts taking potshots at him. Just another day in the life of Joe Mannix.

0c44714bac7e62ef75314edd11a8686f-456572-512-341.jpg

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
It Takes a Thief – 2.19 “Boom at the Top”
Along with The Wild Wild West, It Takes a Thief was one of my chief after school syndication treats in the late 70s / early 80s. Unlike TWWW, I hadn't seen an episode since. Rampant stupidity on my part caused me to pass on the Complete Series set when E1 released it several years ago. But luckily, some kind soul has uploaded most of the episodes onto YouTube, seemingly uncut and in decent shape. So I decided to check out the episode in which Ms. Lynley guest starred.
Great to hear that you can watch these on Youtube, Jeff. I had no idea that someone uploaded them. I hope they stay there. But I'm glad to have the Eone complete series DVD set, even if it was expensive from the initial release, and much more now from rapacious dealers...and even with it's ridiculous packaging, yet another "one of" of uniquely ridiculous ways to package DVDs that we collectors have had to contend with...another gimmicky permutation in how not to do that...

meaning it was not restored.
John, the transfers for seasons one and two look good, although a little soft and slightly faded, but complete ...it's with season three that the age related color shift to magenta and cyan becomes intermittently bothersome...only in the outdoor scenes, which is emphasized by the wealth of European location filming away from the Universal lot in the last season featuring Fred Astaire as Mundy's larcenous dad. I was driven half mad in adjusting my TV's color, tint and brightness trying to make them more palatable...but It Takes a Thief, along with I Spy epitomizes '60s cool for me...and that great Dave Grusin theme music is one of the all time great TV themes and suites...

If you ever saw Nancy Kovack as Medea doing an erotic dance in Jason and the Argonauts, you wouldn't soon forget it. A frequent guest star on TV series in the 60's and 70's, she also starred in a number of films in the same era. Beginning as a model, she posed for thousands of photos that exuberantly showcased her rather incredible figure. This was back when models didn't starve themselves down to toothpick stature. I was okay with that. Still am.
Oh, boy...Jason and the Argonauts is another big childhood fave! I saw that first run theatrical in 1963 as a 7 year old...and yes, Miss Kovack is supremely alluring as usual...I probably was mildly titillated even as a little kid, although I remember being terrified of Talos the giant statue come to life, the skeleton warriors...and those damn harpies, screaching and snapping at the argonauts from above...too much to deal with for a 7 year old. I was driven under the seats, stuck to the sticky floor and looking up at a gallery of chewing gum under the seat, ha, ha...I have one screen cap of luscious Nancy Kovack ready to go, this one from Anne Francis' Honey West, The Gray Lady, 1965...I think the first time I really, really took notice of her was in Star Trek's A Private Little War...by that time I was older and now considered her to be fascinating, in the realm of Raquel Welch!
A fare 74.JPG

She was Joe Mannix's great love in the fantastic season 2 "The Girl Who Came in with the Tide" (1969). Don't miss that one!
John, I agree, that's a terrific episode of Mannix, and one of my favorites. Nancy Kovack was also in one episode of It Takes a Thief, season two's 38-23-36, which were probably her measurements!

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
Let’s see…Mannix takes on a case for an old friend = check (in this case, an ex-girlfriend, played by Marlyn Mason, who spends a good chunk of the episode in a bikini - yay!)

Mannix eats a sandwich = check.

Mannix gets cold-cocked at least once = check.

Mannix tools around in his swank car, talking on his hi-tech car phone = check.

Mannix spars with his Intertect boss, Lew (Joseph Campanella), who smiles tolerantly after Joe leaves the room = check.

Mannix fails to prevent several murders, including that of another old friend = check.

Mannix guns down the bad guy at the finale = check.

Yep, sounds like a typical Mannix episode, all right.

Yes, Joe has his iconic four glasses shades, imported from Italy.

Joe wears his Persol's on the beach and lends them to Joyce.
joe_persol.jpg
joyce_persol.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The Avengers – 5.17 “Return of the Cybernauts”
My God, does this color Mrs. Peel-era episode look absolutely fantabulous on Network’s new Cybernauts Trilogy Blu-Ray! It’s a very good episode, too, much more serious than usual, anchored by the steely presence of Peter Cushing, out for revenge against Steed and Mrs. Peel for the demise of his brother, the inventor of the dreaded robot killers. It features a good guest cast too, including Charles Tingwell, Fulton McKay and Frederick Jaeger. I enjoyed this one very much, particularly as it gave me the opportunity to bask in the sheer, unadulterated glory of Diana Rigg in HD.

maxresdefault.jpg

Father Ted

2.6 “The Plague”
2.8 “Cigarettes, Alcohol and Rollerblading”
3.3 “Speed 3”
More comedy genius from the pens of series' creators Graham Linehan and Arthur Matthews. "The Plague" features another appearance by that nasty Bishop Brennan (who had his arse well and truly kicked in a previous episode I covered), who happens to be visiting Craggy Island in the midst of an epidemic of rapidly populating rabbits. The trouble is, the fearsome bishop has an unreasoning fear of the floppy-eared little critters. In "Cigarettes...," Father Ted's archnemesis, Father Dick Byrne, cons Ted and crew into giving up their pet vices for Lent, with predictably disastrous results. And in "Speed 3," when Father Ted gets a philandering milkman fired, the disgruntled man rigs a bomb on his milk float, which will go off if the temp driver - which happens to be doltish innocent, Father Dougal - drops under 4 mph. Seriously, if you haven't seen this show, you really are missing out on some great British comedy.

Taking a cue from Jack P., I watched a couple of episodes to commemorate the recently-departed Carol Lynley:

It Takes a Thief
– 2.19 “Boom at the Top”
Along with The Wild Wild West, It Takes a Thief was one of my chief after school syndication treats in the late 70s / early 80s. Unlike TWWW, I hadn't seen an episode since. Rampant stupidity on my part caused me to pass on the Complete Series set when E1 released it several years ago. But luckily, some kind soul has uploaded all 66 episodes onto YouTube, seemingly uncut and in decent shape probably the same so-so masters used for the DVD set). So I decided to check out the episode in which Ms. Lynley guest starred. It's a dandy, which puts our hero, former cat burglar turned government agent Alexander Mundy (Robert Wagner, at the apex of his swinging '60s cool) in a multi-faceted jam. Barry Sullivan plays a courier who's flirtation with betraying government secrets to a thuggish foreign dignitary (Will Kuluva) results in the arming of a bomb in the attache case that's handcuffed to his wrist. So what's this paragon of patriotism do in such a crisis? He crashes a party and threatens to blow up the entire floor of Mundy's apartment building if Al doesn't disarm the bomb. Mundy must also deal with two thieves who are at the party, ready to rip off the upper-crust guests. One is an old acquaintance of Al's, a smalltime pickpocket (Roddy McDowell), and the other is the far shapelier Carol Lynley...one of them having recently snatched a top secret microdot which Al has been tasked to recover. Watching Mundy calmly, and with admirable sangfroid, work six sides against the middle makes for one diverting hour of stylish spy-fi goodness.

4d268e6003f4c449d16d81d51bb1ec4d.jpg

Quincy M.E. – 1.2 “Who’s Who in Neverland”
This one begins with a murder, but throws in a twist, as Quincy tries to identify the corpse of a woman the police believe to be a prostitute who drank herself to death, when in actuality she was a high society Hollywood hanger-on whose promised tell-all manuscript brings a couple of ex-CIA scumbags to town to tie up loose ends. The rule-breaking maverick Quincy is a likable and energetic protagonist, but all the tricks, subterfuges and runarounds he pulls would of course never fly in the real world. With Monte Markham, Joanna Barnes, Dina Merrill, and of course, Ms. Lynley, who's stuck with a most unbecoming hairdo.

Mannix eats a sandwich = check.

Mannix gets cold-cocked at least once = check.

Mannix tools around in his swank car, talking on his hi-tech car phone = check.

Mannix spars with his Intertect boss, Lew (Joseph Campanella), who smiles tolerantly after Joe leaves the room = check.

Mannix fails to prevent several murders, including that of another old friend = check.

Mannix guns down the bad guy at the finale = check.

Yep, sounds like a typical Mannix episode, all right.

p1146799_e_h6_ac.jpg
You *really* are trying to get me to dig out my Father Ted set for a rewatch! It's been 3+ years since I last watched any of that one. Your recaps are working... They really have me itching to give it another viewing. I'll likely dig it out in the next week or so. Most of my collection is in storage in 32 gallon totes and had to be put in storage too quickly for me to make log/inventory sheets for each as they were packed up. That means I have to look at the side (they're clear) to see what the majority of product is in a tote, see if anything that was stored close is visible, and open it to actually see if it's the right one. At least I stored them with mostly TV or movies in separate totes only using movies to fill small empty space on the sides/top of those with TV series.

I *was* "smart enough" (i.e. lucky) to pick up a copy of It Takes a Thief before it went OOP. In late November 2012 (My gosh! Has it really been that long!?!) I lucked into Amazon running it as a Lightning Deal and snagged a copy for $30.00! It's still on the shelf unopened. I know *exactly* where that one is as all I've brought back into the house so far is unopened product and some specific series (Star Trek: TOS, George of the Jungle, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, The Universal Classic Horror Collection BR, and a few others that I was wanting to rewatch). I see it every day... sitting there daring me to finally open it and start watching... I've not seen that one since the original airings and only saw it sporadically then.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Remember Her?

View attachment 63272
images
View attachment 63273
images

At some point in the late ‘50s, Nancy was invited to a wedding that was taking place in New York City. She was “discovered” and became a Glea Girl for The Jackie Gleason Show, which began a professional television career.

In 1969, Nancy married famed Indian conductor Zubin Mehta, who's led the Los Angeles, New York and currently the Israeli Philharmonic orchestra. Ms. Novack turned 84 this year.
Do I remember Nancy Kovack!?! Be still my beating heart! I've had a crush on her since the first time I saw her as a kid in Jason and the Argonauts. Then she appears in Bewitched as Darrin's ex. Man! He scored a hot wife *and* had a hot ex girlfriend! Samantha had every right to be worried... ;)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Well... to quote Red Skeleton... "I doodit." I dug out my copy of Father Ted yesterday morning and started watching it that afternoon. I'm trying to take it slow so I don't just zip through it. At this point I've watched series 1 - the first 6 episodes. Great stuff!

I'd forgotten just *how* clueless Father Dougal (Ardahl O'Hanlon) is about Catholicism in spite of being a priest.

In the process of locating that title I also pulled out Fawlty Towers for a rewatch. I absolutely love that series! And it's getting a BR release (link to the Region Free release on Amazon UK) on November 18th!

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Got some "classic" and not so classic shows viewed this week.

Lost In Space - Complete Remastered Widescreen
Curse of Cousin Smith (2.10) Henry Jones. Even the fact that I enjoy when Henry Jones pops up, I could barely get through this episode. Defies all logic that a cousin of his age could parachute out of a spaceship and land on the Robinson's "uncharted" planet where Dr. Smith just happens to be, all for an inheritance? Gimme a break. I believe I am not down to "chore" :rolleyes: of the week mode for this series. I will trudge on, slowly.

Evening Shade - Complete Series (vei, inc.)
Tying The Knot (2.4) A second vasectomy.
Miss Emily's Wild Ride (2.5) Evan gets an emergency call and leaves baby Emily home alone, Nub to the rescue.
The Road Trip (2.6) A simple delivery of a motor home becomes a catastrophe.
Winning Isn't Everything (2.7) Robby Benson stars as a young overachiever who missed high school, now in his 30's he scores the winning touchdown for Coach Newton who then forfeits the game placing the football program onprobation.
Where's My Watch? (2.8) Harlan retires and has all new hobbies that do not include Merleen.
I Do, I Don't (2.9) Taylor and his girlfriend run across the county line to elope, parents follow.

In the vei thread, I reported that it seems these episodes may be complete as most of them run from 23 to 23.30 minutes.

Perry Mason - Season 7-9
The Case of the Frightened Fisherman (7.20) Mala Powers, Connie Gilchrist, Bartlett Robinson, Marian Collier, Lee Farr, William Smith. On the eve of a new medical breakthrough, jealousy rears its head and Perry must unravel an unlikely alibi. Della is absent and Gertie (Connie Cezon) steps in.

The Case of the Arrogant Arsonist (7.21) Tom Tully, Frank Aletter, Jeff York, Wynn Pearce, Byron Morrow. Carey York is a retired fire chief who owns a warehouse that is burned by an arsonist and kills a clerk. A TV reporter accuses York of setting the fire. York hires Perry to sue for libel but York is charged when the reporter is killed.

The Case of the Garrulous Go-Between (7.22) Sue Randall, Lori March, Jacque Aubuchon,Anthony Eisley, Merry Anders. Nosy neighbors, a medium, a renter who is not all who she seems to be with an alcoholic brother and an old murder case make for a very interesting hour.

The Case of the Woeful Widower (7.23) Jerry van Dyke, Harry Townes, Nancy Gates, Joan Banks, Joyce Meadows. A remake of The Case of the Fiery Fingers from 1958. Perry defends two clients: first the housekeeper Nellie Conway for theft and secondly the stepsister of the murder victim who stands to inherit her estate. Problem is that the husband is the one the finger points at for being the killer.

Seven Days - Complete (vei, inc.)
HAAARP Attack (1.11) Ben Murphy, Tim Griffin. The enemy infiltrates a communications array in an attack of American air bases to provoke WW III.

Last Card Up (1.12) Craig Wasson, Michael Harris, Jessalyn Gilsig, Simon Billig. A retelling of David Koresh and the Branch Davidians.

Last Breath (1.13) Alastair Duncan, Marco Hofschneider, Ravil Isyanov. Bad cgi is a minor annoyance in a tense episode aboard a Russian sub (Hunt For Red October sets maybe).

Parkergeist (1.14) Michael Harney, Earl Billings. A fun episode where Parker becomes a ghost and can only be heard by a blind man. Michael Harney at his smarmy best.

Daddy's Girl (1.15) Raymond Cruz, Kieran Mulroney, Gary Dourdan, Alexandra Hedison, Tim Halligan. An examination of what constitutes your family when you are under fire in a military operation.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Remember Her?

View attachment 63272
images
View attachment 63273
images

She appeared thrice on Mannix.
"Sing a Song of Murder" (1973) ... Barbara Sonderman
"The Inside Man" (1972) ... Angela (as Nancy Mehta)
"The Girl Who Came in with the Tide" (1969) ... Brett Nichols

Speaking of Nancy Kovak...The female guest cast of It Takes a Thief is a veritable who's who of sexy '60s starlets.

MV5BNjVjNWY0ZjQtNzFkYS00ZmQ1LTgwMDAtZWFjODc4NTVhN2U1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzczNzY3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Inspired by your posts, I followed up on doing some more research on the voluptuous Nancy Kovack...principally by rewatching her Mannix season two entry, The Girl Who Came in with the Tide (Feb. 2, 1969)...John Hopper mentioned this fine and memorable episode that is one of my personal favorites...screen caps from the CBS DVDs...
Nancy Kovack 16.JPG

Nancy Kovack 10.JPG

Nancy Kovack 13.JPG

Nancy Kovack 21.JPG

Nancy Kovack 22.JPG

Nancy Kovack 23.JPG

Nancy isn't the only eye popper in this first rate episode...there's also bikini model and Miss America runner-up Salli Sachse...
Nancy Kovack 1.JPG

Nancy Kovack 2.JPG

Nancy Kovack 4.JPG

Nancy Kovack 6.JPG

Nancy Kovack 7.JPG

Cluttering up the scenery is Lloyd Bochner...playing his usual slick, conceited, pompous and sarcastic deplorable, and old nemesis of Joe Mannix...Bochner excelled at playing this archetype in countless shows...our hero is sure to tune him in with a knuckle sandwich...
Nancy Kovack 9.JPG

I looked up the bio on IMDB for young Salli Sachse, and it makes for interesting reading...she sported her bikini bod in such classics as Beach Blanket Bingo, How to Stuff a Wild Bikini, Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine, The Ghost in the Invisible Bikini and Fireball 500...I'm pretty sure I've seen her whole filmography, ha, ha...this Mannix episode appears to have been her swan song as an actress...whereupon she assumed a second career as the official photographer and biographer for the '60s uber successful pop and folk band Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, touring with them for 2 years...she also got two degrees, a BFA and a Masters in psychology...not a dumb girl, but an accomplished one...
Nancy Kovack 17.JPG

Nancy Kovack 18.JPG

Nancy Kovack 19.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well... to quote Red Skeleton... "I doodit." I dug out my copy of Father Ted yesterday morning and started watching it that afternoon. I'm trying to take it slow so I don't just zip through it. At this point I've watched series 1 - the first 6 episodes. Great stuff!

I'd forgotten just *how* clueless Father Dougal (Ardahl O'Hanlon) is about Catholicism in spite of being a priest.

In the process of locating that title I also pulled out Fawlty Towers for a rewatch. I absolutely love that series! And it's getting a BR release (link to the Region Free release on Amazon UK) on November 18th!

Glad you managed to dig out your Father Ted sets and start watching, Howie! The first series is very consistent, but, for me, the real highs come later, in series 2 and 3.

Of course, I'm familiar with Fawlty Towers, though it's been many years since I've seen it. A very funny show, if almost completely lacking in likable characters (save for poor, put-upon Manuel).

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Excellent investigative work, Randall - worthy of ol' Joe Mannix himself. Hopefully you weren't sapped on the back of the head at any point while conducting your investigation into the careers of Nancy Kovak and Salli Sachse...

Love your description of Lloyd Bochner. If ever an actor carved out a niche for himself as one character type, it was he. But he did it so well, and of course, where would TV dramas like Mannix be, without such slick, smug jerks as Bochner specialized in?

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Do I remember Nancy Kovack!?! Be still my beating heart! I've had a crush on her since the first time I saw her as a kid in Jason and the Argonauts. Then she appears in Bewitched as Darrin's ex. Man! He scored a hot wife *and* had a hot ex girlfriend! Samantha had every right to be worried... ;)
Boy do I agree, Howie...in my book, Nancy Kovack has the same smoldering sensuality of Raquel Welch, and in the same magnitude of sex appeal...I hope you enjoy the above pictures, although in that Mannix episode, she doesn't disrobe as much as we might have hoped...leaving that to young Salli Sachse, who fills in admirably...I think Nancy Kovack's appearance in Star Trek, A Private Little War, about the same time as this was another eye popper! That Bewitched dinner party scene where Samantha uses her magic to humiliate Nancy Kovack's character has got to be one of that series funniest.
MV5BNjY2ZTk5ODItMGFlMS00YWNlLTg3NjgtMjZkYTk0OTc2MmRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIzMzQ0ODQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1329,1000_AL_.jpg

MV5BNTM2MmMwYTctYTE5Yi00NmQyLWJjMGUtMjc2Yjg5NDY0MWIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDAwNzg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Excellent investigative work, Randall - worthy of ol' Joe Mannix himself. Hopefully you weren't sapped on the back of the head at any point while conducting your investigation into the careers of Nancy Kovak and Salli Sachse...

Love your description of Lloyd Bochner. If ever an actor carved out a niche for himself as one character type, it was he. But he did it so well, and of course, where would TV dramas like Mannix be, without such slick, smug jerks as Bochner specialized in?
Thanks Jeff...Lloyd Bochner is one of my fellow Canadians of the kind that we continued to export to Hollywood throughout the '50s and '60s...along with William Shatner, Cristopher Plummer, John Vernon, Don Harron, Anthony Zerbe etc., most of whom were all graduates of the Stratford Ontario Shakespearean company of actors...and thus most of them were a little stiff, and suffered from stuffed shirt syndrome and acquired pomposity...which served a guy like Lloyd Bochner well in establishing him as one of the prime go-to candidates to portray these kinds of characters, ha, ha...by the way, I think I've only suffered two concussions in my life...no where near the career concussion totals for Joe Mannix, ha, ha...

I found it quite interesting that Salli Sachse retired from acting after this role and became the official photographer and biographer for Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, touring with them for 2 years...she was probably at Woodstock that summer to photograph their memorable performance there...as the earlier band, Buffalo Springfield with Stephen Stills and Neil Young appeared as themselves in Mannix season one, I wonder if there was some special connection between this show and those two pop icons?

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
I Dream of Jeannie
"Guess What Happened On The Way To The Moon?" (S1E3)

The marvel of this series lies in mans' greatest fantasy: You can have anything you want. Gilding that lily is that your wishes will be granted by a nearly naked beautiful blonde genie. But wait! If we truly understand mans' basic instincts--those fantasies are going to also incorporate a few additional wishes that a pre-cable network aren't ever going to be able to depict (read: sex).

Thus we're introduced to the most annoying counterpoint of this show: Man doesn't want his every wish granted, only to face life as a normal human would. To that end, most of us would cry bullsh*t! That's right, we want every wish fulfilled, especially those involving a near naked blonde genie (read: sex).

But Captain Nelson (an incredibly fit Larry Hagman) isn't like the rest of us scurrilous guys. He doesn't need Jeannie (Barbara Eden) and her charms to accompany him on a grueling desert survival training mission. Opening scene: Tony is shaving while Jeannie comments "In my time, the men wore beards".
"Nowadays," jokes Tony, "Only folk singers and beatniks do that." How 1960.

images
upload_2019-9-23_9-48-15.jpeg
upload_2019-9-23_9-49-34.jpeg

Jeannie eager for anything; Tony struggles to operate a walkie-talkie; Prelude to a desert massage...

Under instructions from Dr. Bellows (Hayden Roarke), Tony is off to join Roger Healy (Bill Daily) in the desert, leaving Jeannie with strict instructions not to follow. Nix that. She sneaks a ride in Tony's canteen and begins to set up creature comforts for her master--a tent furnished worthy of a sultan, food, a camel, etc. This forces Tony into inane explanations to Roger, who believes it's all a mirage. This was most likely pretty hilarious in 1965. Today, it's just predictable.

But add in a half-naked blonde and I'll watch anything (read: sex).

Notes:
In these very early episodes, the special effects are laughably amateurish stop motion.

Dr. Bellows, a mere psychiatrist, seems to be almost completely responsible for the entire US space program.

The title of this episode is a take on the popular play of the era "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum", which bore no resemblance to the episode in terms of content.

The most interesting aspect of this series (besides a half naked blonde genie) is the surprising comedic ability of Larry Hagman.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Remember Her?
Classic TV Guest Star Tidbits

Marriana Hill's actual name is Schwartzkopf (yep, cousin to the famous General) and guest-starred in a number of 60's series such as My Three Sons, Perry Mason, Star Trek, Bonanza, etc.
She was reputed to be one of at least 456 "squeezes" of Elvis Presley, having starred with him in Roustabout and Paradise, Hawaiian Style.

upload_2019-9-23_10-26-28.jpeg
upload_2019-9-23_10-26-48.jpeg
images

Although I wouldn't know why, Marriana had trouble doing a nude a nude scene with Robert Forster in Medium Cool to the point where director Haskell Wexler had to shed his clothes as well to convince her to shoot the scene.

Ms. Hill reputedly has an IQ of 165 but apparently never married. Too brainy? She now resides in Encino, CA as Marianna Schwartzkopf.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks