What's new

What defines a "movie"? (1 Viewer)

Siddartha_Gau

Auditioning
I had been thinking about this for some time, but what defines a "movie"? Does it have to be at least 90 minutes? Does it had to have a high budget? Does it need an ending? Finally, what makes a movie different from a TV show, even though both are motion pictures mediums?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Technically, a movie is a video. The term "movie" comes from "moving pictures."

To me, there is a difference between a "movie" and a "film." A "film" is made with care to the artistic integrity and is taken seriously as a form of expression. A "movie" is a quick cash-in on a franchise or a teen movie. There are some things that are in between, but generally a theatrical presentation can fit into one of those two categories.

To me, a movie/film should be a good length, usually around 80+ minutes. If it's less, it's ok.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The difference between a movie and a TV show is obviously that a TV show has an episode every week(ish) and a movie is usually a one shot deal with a self contained beginning, middle and end. There are after all TV movies.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
75 minutes minimum.
It better have either a three-act story or a very good reason why not. (i.e. Fantasia)
Created with some small semblance of professionalism.
No Freddie Prinze Jr.

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
...a movie is usually a one shot deal with a self contained beginning, middle and end.
By "end", do you mean conclusion? In my opinion there are lots of movies that are not a one shot deal and that don't have conculsions. For example Empire Strikes Back ends before the storyline concerning Han Solo is resolved and requires you to see the next movie in the series - but it's still a movie.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
All "new world" films are movies and all "old world" movies are films. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Steven,

That would be one of the exceptions, which is why I said "usually."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks