What's new

What Cables to buy for my new system??? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a new system this week and need help setting it up. I got.

Phillips 27in tv.

Kenwood VR-507

JBL N-26 (fronts)

JBL N-24 (rears)

JBL NCenter

Sony Sawm40 sub

Toshiba sd-1700 dvd

Basically what do i need to hook everything up? I think i have somewhat of a clue.

Correct me is im wrong on each statement or say if im right

Any suggestions would help

1. (Speakers to reciever) Monster Cable 50' XP 16guage

2. (TV to speakers) ?????

3. (sub to reciever) AR Digital coaxial cable

4. (dvd to reciever and tv) AR digital coax for audio and s-video directly to tv.

5. (dvd sound to tv speakers) can i do this or can i only have it hooked up to my 5.1

Well thats it. Please help out and add anything i might need

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeff.. I'm new here myself... so maybe my advice will be corrected or someone more knowledgable will help you out.. but I have an Onkyo receiver (i don't know much about the 507) and I have everything hooked into my receiver and then one OUT connection from my receiver to my TV.
My set up is like this:
BetterCables S Video from DVD to Onkyo receiver (upgrading soon to component/hdtv/progrssive etc)
BetterCables S Video from Satelite receiver to Onkyo Receiver
BetterCables coax optical cable from DVD/sat. receiver to Onkyo receiver
RCA cables from VCR to Onkyo receiver
BetterCables S video from OUT on Onkyo Receiver to IN on TV(that carries the signal from whatever source your viewing to the TV
Kimber Cable (speaker wire) from my Onkyo receiver to all my speakers
I'm sure I'm missing alot of things.. but that is basically how I have mine set up. Everything run into the receiver and one output to the TV.
Hope that helped and didn't confuse you too much.
Jim

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else i need help.

When someone refers to a sub cable do they mean digital coaxial or what?

Some people have told me to use rca y cable to connect sub to sub port on reciever.

Also if i use the dig. coax cable where do i plug that in?

will it matter if its the sub port or a coax(orange)input

The AR digital coaxial cables ran $15 a piece

John Royster

Screenwriter
Ok, I'm gonna try my best without starting a cable war.
1) buy the cables that sound best for you.
2) now that we have #1 out of the way we can worry about how to hook all this stuff up.
Phillips 27in tv.
Kenwood VR-507
JBL N-26 (fronts)
JBL N-24 (rears)
JBL NCenter
Sony Sawm40 sub
Toshiba sd-1700 dvd
Speaker wire - good 12 or 14 gauge speaker wire for all 5 speakers (left, right, center, L/R surrounds).
Sub cable - good coaxial cable, many times labeled as sub cable.
^^^your receiver can now produce sound
Toshiba DVD player - component or svideo cables into TV, I don't know your TV so can't say which one. 1 optical or 1 coaxial digital cable, use coax if possible.
^^^your DVD player can now make pictures and audio
TV - audio out on the TV into your receiver, RCA audio cables.
And to all this, I really would recommend AR cables. Great value. After that prices only increase.
OH, caught your last question about DVD/TV without using receiver. You should (depending on your player/TV) be able to run another set of RCA audio L/R cables from the DVD to TV. I, as many others, have - turned off the speakers on the TV, that's what all this sound gear is for. :)
Good luck, there are many ways to hook all this gear up and many different cable combinations (I have components hooked up multiple ways so I can compare what I like best).

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
1. 12 guage speaker wire. you can find it a Home Depot

2. S-video from your tv to the monitor in jack on the receiver (assuming you have a s-video jack on tv)

3. subwoofer cable

4. digital coaxial or digital optical to the receiver (your dvd might support coaxial or optical or both. If both, just pick one. If your dvd and tv have componet hook ups, use those. they are better than s-video . You should see componet video out jacks on your dvd and similar ones on the tv.

5. not sure, someone else can answer this one better.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Ditto on the recommendation for 12-gauge speaker wire. Only around 30 to 75 cents a foot. Monster costs twice what Home Depot does.
If the receiver and speakers take them, banana plugs on the ends are easiest. Avoid the regular Monster bananas, as the rubber boot won't fit over 12-gauge cable. AR bananas are fine (attaches with 1 set screw). Better are RCA bananas (attaches with 2 set screws), also at Home Depot.
If speakers won't take bananas but still have a post, use spade lugs.
If you have no posts, but just poke-through spring clips, use thickest gauge that will fit (12 if possible) and leave the wire bare.
Good selection of wire and connectors at www.partsexpress.com and www.onecall.com.

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Ok well I went to BB tonight and returned some stuf and looked at there cables. I talked extensivly with an older(50yr.) audio salesman. He told me a lot and some stuff i never new. After talking for a while and with him showing me different stuff, we narrowed down the best cables to the

($15)AR coaxial digital cable for DVD to Reciever

($99)Monster Home Theatre Hookup Kit 300

includes

-3, 10ft Monster 16guage XPHP time corrected wire w/gold angles plug. (front left, center and front right)

-2, 30ft Monster 16guage XPHP time corrected wire w/gold angles plug. (back left, back right)

-1 6ft Monster I300 MKII bass interconnect + 2 6ft XPHP bass cables ( can use either or)

-Monster MV2/I300 MKII Audio Video Cables

What do you guys think? I chose 16guage also because i only need 15ft per surround speaker and around 6ft per front. The stuff i got in the package is like $160 seperate so i think i did ok.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Well, sorry to say it, but I think you got the wrong box. Why use 16 gauge wire when you've put so much money, time, and effort into the equipment? For the same price or less you can get 12 gauge at Radio Shack or Home Depot!

Also, check out the banana plug thread here over the last few days. The Radio Shack banana plugs are fine, and you can get them when you get the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks