What's new

What are your favorite "Backstory" episodes on AMC? (1 Viewer)

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
The best and pretty much the only bright spot left on AMC, "Backstory" gets my approval because every episode is different and there are many great episodes of the series in my opinion. They include:

Die Hard
Wall Street
Young Franknstein
Broadcast News
Big
The Poseiden Adventure
M*A*S*H
Speed
There's Something About Mary
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Moulin Rouge (2001)

There are many other great episodes, but I can't think of them, but I will admit that probably the best one I have ever seen is the episode on "The Seven Year Itch", which has got to be the most informative episode of them all.

So what are your favorite "Backstory" epsiodes?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I really liked the Buffy and Speed ones. Wall Street was pretty kewl too...but I'm also having a hard time thinking of all of them. Maybe there's a list somewhere...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I still have not seen the Predator backstory. When is it going to be on again?

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I also like the episode about "Edward Scissorhands". There is a lot of interesting stuff in that Backstory that I heard for the very first time. I guess there are a lot of untold stories about that movie, but it is another one of the best episodes of "Backstory."

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Well, there is A LOT of backstory to AMC.
David and Leo's mother who was this epic drug lord is now a loving mother since the real Vanessa has come out of the multiple personalities, and Trey the fake lawyer wants more than Vanessa's 100 million dollars.
Edmunds dead wife Maria is actually alive but has aneasia and is now in Pine Valley trying to find the truth about her life, and the evil Doctor Hayworth is lying to her about her past. She will probably crash Edmund soon to be marriage with Brooke.
Erica Cain and her daughter are now teamates against the young deva's Greenley and ?
Adam Chandler took his wifes baby from her b/c she is mentaly unstable, the same child that he changed sperm samples with the day before insemenation so she would be his blod and not Jake Martin's. Mia is plotting with Adam also but I don't know why.
Or are you talking about a diffrent AMC?;)

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Even though I didn't like the movie very much, I found the Backstory episode on Cleopatra thoroughly engrossing. Probably the best ep of the series ever, full of insight and terrific interviews (including one with the much-missed Roddy McDowall).
- Guy

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
(Editing as I find out about more Backstory episodes)
Jeremiah, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I love this show! I don't watch movies much anymore on AMC, but I have Backstory Tivo'd.
I love them all, but I have to choose Moulin Rouge because it's one of my favorite films. I was also deeply fascinated with the Boston Strangler episode. Bonnie and Clyde was pretty interesting too. They're ALL interesting, no matter what the movie!
Based on what I've seen so far, and what's been mentioned in this thread, is this a complete list of episodes, or are there more?
All About Eve
Anastasia
Big
Bonnie and Clyde
Boston Strangler
Broadcast News
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Bus Stop
Carmen Jones
Cast Away
Cleopatra
Day the Earth Stood Still, The
Die Hard
Edward Scissorhands
How Green Was My Valley
Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte
Longest Day, The
M*A*S*H
Miracle on 34th Street
Moulin Rouge (2001)
My Cousin Vinny
Myra Breckinridge
Norma Rae
Peyton Place
Planet of the Apes (2001)
Poseiden Adventure, The
Predator
Rocky Horror Picture Show, The
Roman Holiday
Seven Year Itch, The
Speed
There's Something About Mary
Towering Inferno, The
Valley of the Dolls
Verdict, The
Wall Street
Young Frankenstein
Upcoming episodes, according to my Tivo:
Carmen Jones 9/9 6:30pm (Central time)
Miracle On 34th Street 9/12 10:00pm
Predator 9/15 6:30pm
The Rocky Horror Picture Show 9/16 5:05am
Valley of the Dolls 9/16 9:10pm
Valley of the Dolls 9/17 1:35am
Look at all those weird times! Man I love my Tivo! I don't have to worry about what time it's on, I just set a Season Pass. Such coolness!
(Editing as I find out about more Backstory episodes)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm editing as I find out about more Backstory episodes.

Latest batch:

Upcoming episodes, according to my Tivo:

There's Something About Mary 9/5 6:30pm (Central time)
Carmen Jones 9/9 6:30pm
Miracle On 34th Street 9/12 10:00pm
Predator 9/15 6:30pm
The Rocky Horror Picture Show 9/16 5:05am
Valley of the Dolls 9/16 9:10pm
Valley of the Dolls 9/17 1:35am

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've just got hooked up for cable and I'm looking for shows worth watching -- "Backstory" sounds like it might be interesting. What is it and when is it on? Thanks :)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I've just got hooked up for cable and I'm looking for shows worth watching -- "Backstory" sounds like it might be interesting. What is it and when is it on? Thanks
Hi, it's a half-hour show on AMC that goes into the background of a movie, telling how the movie came to be made and sharing anecdotes in interviews with people involved in the film, the reaction upon release, and various and other sundry tidbits.
They pick a wide range of movies to focus on. I think Moulin Rouge is the most recent film they've Backstoried. The movies range from pure classics (How Green Was My Valley) to silly popcorn fare (The Towering Inferno), but ALL the shows are very well done, and I find that even if I'm not much interested in the movie itself, the Backstory is still completely fascinating.
In the post before yours I listed some upcoming shows. I'll try to keep that list fairly current, and bump the thread when I see (thanks to my Tivo) new episodes to add. Again, they're worth watching even if you're not into the movie itself. You learn much about the behind-the-scenes goings-on in Hollywood.
Let us know what you think!

Gerard Priori

Stunt Coordinator
Vickie, here are some more episodes I've seen for your list:

All About Eve
Anastasia
Bus Stop
Day the Earth Stood Still, The
Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte
Longest Day, The
Myra Breckinridge
Norma Rae

There may be more, but I can't think of them.

-Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks