What's new

What are you watching on "Little Christmas" - the 25th of each month (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do you liked Edward G. Robinson? Last night I watched a movie of his I had never seen before called "Larceny, Inc." and while it wasn't a Christmas movie, the last act does take place on Christmas Eve and Robinson does wear a Santa costume.

Really enjoyed the movie too, I had never seen Robinson in a comedy before.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Do you liked Edward G. Robinson? Last night I watched a movie of his I had never seen before called "Larceny, Inc." and while it wasn't a Christmas movie, the last act does take place on Christmas Eve and Robinson does wear a Santa costume.

That's right about "Larceny Inc.". I totally forgot about that ending. I have all 4 of those Warners Gangster boxes, from the days of fantastic DVD box sets, when the studios knew how to cater to movie buffs.

IMG_3393.JPG

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just picked up it as part of this set - besides Larceny Inc, it also has The Little Giant, Bullets Or Ballots, and Kid Galahad - it's got four discs stacked inside a small hub within a single size case:
http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-...8&qid=1459043606&sr=8-1&keywords=tcm+robinson

I got it on eBay for less than $10 including shipping, so for about $2 a movie, I now own all four of those. I've been trying to cut down on blind buys and had been pretty good about it the past few years, but to get that kind of a deal on four well-made Warner discs, each with great bonus features (especially the fantastic "Warner Night At The Movies", I just couldn't pass it up. It's not as pretty packaging wise but how can you say no to that price?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Hi Josh!

I first viewed this about 20 years ago on our Family Channel, and I found it a lot of fun, also!

For something along somewhat similar lines that has more of a Christmas theme, I highly recommend a Bob Hope star vehicle from 1951 (The same year as Alastair Sim's career defining SCROOGE!), Damon Runyan's THE LEMON DROP KID. If you enjoyed LARCENY, INC, you should LOVE this, in my opinion, anyway!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Tony, will try to remember to check it out. I've been binge-watching Cary Grant movies with a bit of Humphrey Bogart and Spencer Tracy thrown in. A little Bob Hope might be a nice change of pace :)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
For April's "Little Christmas", I watched the recent "Love The Coopers" on Blu-Ray (much better and funnier than the reviews suggested, with wonderful Christmas visuals, fine performances and an excellent dog); "The Bishop's Wife" in French this time, exclusively on the 1997 DVD (the Italian-language track was spicier), and the quite wonderful "Nothing Like The Holidays" on Blu-Ray (with a fantastic cast including Alfred Molina, Luis Guzman, Elizabeth Pena, John Leguizamo, and that ultimate Hispanic firecracker Debra Messing). Musically, I'm still catching up with the Christmas music I bought on iTunes in the last six months (including the recent "Vinyl" song in the style of Robert Goulet and the great song from "Love The Coopers" by Alison Krauss and Robert Plant), but walking my dog past a thrift store this afternoon I noticed some bins of 25 cent CD's out front. I bought a few Christmas discs, and I'll single out "Winter, Fire & Snow: Songs For The Holiday Season" comprised of all-new recordings (as far as I can tell) by a great variety of artists, from Manu Dibango to Jewel to Clannad to Phoebe Snow to Gypsy Kings to Jane Siberry to Andreas Vollenweider with Ladysmith Black Mambazo (!). It even has an alternate Robbie Robertson version of The Band's "Christmas Music Be Tonight" which is different from his version on the "Scrooged" soundtrack. I highly recommend it, even if you pay more than a quarter. And finally, I played this 12" single one more time:

IMG_3441-001.JPG

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't think about it being the 25th yesterday, but I did watch Holiday Inn on Blu-ray last week if that counts. I've had the Blu-ray sitting on the shelf for months and finally got around to it.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
For May's "Little Christmas", I decided to not get tricky about it. I just played a few of the Christmas movies that I normally save for Christmas Day: "A Christmas Carol" (1951) (I watched the Emerald Edition Blu-Ray with the terrible picture just so I could hear the four words "for reaching it out" that aren't in the other versions I have), "A Christmas Story" (the Blu-Ray in the Steelbook that has the lossless audio), "Christmas In Connecticut" on Blu-Ray (along with the "Star In The Night" short on the disc that I somehow always feel like watching right after), "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" from last year's remastered Blu-Ray with the uncompressed audio (at last), and just for spice I rewatched Sunday's new episode of "Penny Dreadful", during which I noticed one of the characters wished Eva Green a "Merry Christmas" in her asylum cell, because she was unaware it was Christmas I guess. May we all get so lucky as to someday get to wish Eva Green (or our own personal Eva Green) a merry Christmas, "Little Christmas", Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Arbor Day, etc.. See you in June for the Halfway-To-Christmas "Little Christmas"!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I had given thought to watching Krampus yesterday, but work got in the way. *sigh*

You know, if we weren't supposed to watch Christmas movies all year long, they'd only release new Christmas videos at Christmas time. Watch "Krampus" tonight (it's not "Gremlins", but it's not bad) or tomorrow, or on Memorial Day, or any day you like. Remember: Santa Claus is always watching, and we should always be watching too!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
There are a ton of great Christmas radio shows too David. Do you listen to any of those?
Absolutely. Nothing beats a late Christmastime night with the Christmas lights glowing and some vintage Christmas radio programs. It'll send me all the way back to Christmas past every time. I have cassettes taped off the radio going back to the late 60's. I also highly recommend these sites:

http://www.christmasradioshows.com/

https://archive.org/details/500OTRChristmasShows

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I always listen to Christmas radio shows while decorating the tree. Tried to watch Christmas shows while decorating but got distracted too much!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks