What's new

What are you playing right now? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Originally Posted by Radioman970
I have a PC..

2. Dungeon Master Return to Chaos. It's a freeware clone (just google...) of the classic hacknslash from FTL. Includes several versions, the addon and even the sequel DM II. All in a little over 12 Megs. Works great with XP. This is probably my overall fav games of all time. I waited a year to play on my Amiga. First game I got that needed the 512k memory card. I bought an 8 meg with 2 megs on it. Over kill!

I am glad you mentioned this. I remember this game on my Amiga and played it many hours so I just downloaded it for my PC to play it again and share it with my kids. Wow I'm old.

I'm playing the old Interstel Empire! Deluxe game on the PC as a free clone download. Another addicting game that was on the Amiga.

MitsuruX

Grip
Real Name
MitsuruX
I've been spending most of my gaming between the games listed in my sig...

But have been spending alot of time playing (and loving) Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC), wow why did i wait so long to try this game out! (A friend of mine gave me a buch of games to sell for him on e-bay, and while testing them to make sure they worked i popped in FE, and i don't think i will be selling it but buying it from him its a great game)

Been dabbling with Mass Effect 1 playin though the game a 3rd time with a Female Vanguard renegade style (for most choices lol), then will import that character to ME2 and continue from there..

Really though i'm just wasting time till Halo:Reach comes out, looking forward to playing the campaign 4 player co-op.....

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey
I am glad you mentioned this. I remember this game on my Amiga and played it many hours so I just downloaded it for my PC to play it again and share it with my kids. Wow I'm old.

I'm playing the old Interstel Empire! Deluxe game on the PC as a free clone download. Another addicting game that was on the Amiga.
I was hoping it would catch the eye of fellow Amiga (or ST) alums. /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif I'm STILL playing it more than just about any other thing. I also just reinstalled Settlers: Rise of an Empire. If you had an Amiga you had the original Settlers and I won't take "no I didn't, you jerk!" as a response to that! Haha! But this 6th (I think) in the series is awesome.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I started Red Dead Redemption. I'm not far enough into it to be completely excited by it, but I usually take a while to get into games. There seems to be almost too much going on. I ride between the ranch and the town, and there are people everywhere! And, I keep seeing some of the same events, like a lawman standing by an overturned wagon who wants me to catch some escapees. One of these segments broke the game for me. I was tasked with saving a "treasure hunter" from two bandits, and after I killed them, it went into a cutscene. Unfortunately, someone was still shooting and killed him. It dumped me out of the cutscene, but my controls were locked up. I do like that they seem to have taken the "friendly encounter" segments from GTAIV and made them more prevalent. It was always exciting to be driving around Liberty City and see the little blue icon pop up, indicating I could get into a little side mission. I've started a couple of those in RDR already.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Was playing Red Steel 2, started No More Heroes 2, and I just bought Metroid Other M today. (Along with Mario Kart Wii at Target, since buying Other M made MKW $20 cheaper and I had a $10 off coupon.) Ugh, too many games and more to come in the holidays!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What do you think of Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes 2? The originals had a rep for being innovative ideas but perhaps not as fun as they could have been.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Now I'm getting into Red Dead! I didn't get much sleep last night.

Some creep stole my horse out from under me. Is there ever a chance to get it back when that happens (meaning, if he rides it out of sight)? As it was, I just reloaded. I reloaded when I shot my horse when trying to hunt from horseback, and when coyotes killed it while I was riding it. I'm trying the honorable path for now, and so I also reload if I accidentally do something dishonorable.

Like the GTA games, I enjoy RDR in spite of the fact that my worldview couldn't be more different from Dan Houser's.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman
What do you think of Red Steel 2 and No More Heroes 2? The originals had a rep for being innovative ideas but perhaps not as fun as they could have been.
I played RS2 for a few hours and then kinda stopped. I had other distractions plus wanted to start NMH2. Then I got Metroid: Other M and stopped NMH2 as well.

RS2 isn't that great, honestly. The graphics are neat as an artistic choice, the controls work pretty well, but the game just seems too repetitive in its environments, enemies, missions, etc. and it feels like I'm only halfway through a game that I don't feel like playing anymore. There are other issues with using the sword, shooting, and moving the first-person camera with the remote and how those all kind of get in the way of each other. For example, trying to slice an object while not locked-on means that your camera will swing around because the game isn't sure what you're doing (moving the camera or slicing with the sword) until after you've already done it.

NMH2 is like if you took NMH, removed anything that was remotely boring or uninteresting, and just made everything else bigger. It's really fun, but it's obviously a Grasshopper game. It's random, loud, has lots of cursing and violence, and is fun.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Cool, maybe I'll check out NMH2. Speaking of random, loud, and lots of cursing and violence, I played Madworld the other day -- is that a "Grasshopper" game too? :)

I got Toy Story 3 (for PS3) through Amazon Vine and my son, who never had any interest in playing video games before, is utterly addicted to it. It's pretty much all he's wanted to do all week. Thankfully it's a pretty cool game (although I wouldn't be spending nearly so much time with it were it not for the child-appropriate co-op play).

Kazz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Funny I'm kinda in the middle of 3 games at the moment. I'm playing Monday Night Combat with some friends online while taking Super Street Fighter 4 breaks. When I get bored that I just get some Metroid in. All of this will come to a close when Dead Rising comes out

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Arx Fatalis. Restarted recently. It's still great fun. Hopefully I won't get hung up like the other times I played it. This time I might have to look up some hints. Btw, I played that M&M game these folks did as well, Dark Messiah. Not a bad little game that one. I'm hoping they'll do Arx 2.

Quake Arena/Team Arena. Graphically a little dated...but the fun is not. I've never really played this other than single player. Same with the Unreal tournaments. Weird, eh? Just me and the bots havin a ball!

Star Wars Battlefront II. Just bought this last weekend on steam. It's good. But reminds me of Quakewars and not the Battlefield games as I'd hoped. So...good but not great like the BF games. I think QW is even more fun. But it was worth the 5 bucks to play in a SW universe.

SergeiShadow

Agent
Real Name
Sergei Alenonov
I will post English since site owner asked me. Having alot of money helps with owning alot of games. I'm not very fond of digital distribution even though my computer has 10 terabytes of hard drive space. Only been playing seven or eight games at a time.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Complete 2009 mod; All of Half-Life 1 and 2 series; TRON 2.0; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines with 7.2 patch; BioShock; All of the Grand Theft Auto games.
No I will not tell anyone my Steam account name or any of my IDs for Wii, Playstation 3 or XBOX 360.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Painkiller. Maybe the best game of its type on the PC. Somehow, enormously fun shooting clone after clone of the same baddies.
Serious Sam HD The First encounter. Just got this off steam along with "SSHD The Second Encounter". just as fun as I remembered the standard version being, although not as fun as Painkiller, which I pulled out of mothballs.
Arx Fatalis. Lesser lately, got a little stuck just like last time. grrr....

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
GH/RB on PS3

Which basically means any one of my collection that spans GH3, GH:A, GH:WT, GH5, GH:VH, GH:SH, BH, RB1, RB2, TB:RB and L:RB -- I pop in whichever disc happens to have a track I feel like playing at the time. Should be getting GH:WOR shortly, and RB3 later this month...

Can you tell I like music/rhythm games?

OK, will get F1 2010 soon as well. And also have Sports Champions on the back-burner, but extra Move controllers seem to be all sold out right now, and I'd like to get at another before I try archery.

Unfortunately, these days I don't seem to have much "focus" on completing games, unlike the days when I played mainly PC strategy games. I just play whatever tickles my fancy at the time, have some fun and be done with it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Have you seen Power Gig: Rise of the Six-String? The controller is an actual guitar, with a different system for showing the notes on screen, although it's also compatible with RB controllers. The drum controller appears to be something new and different, as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big fan of Harmonix, which means Guitar Hero 1 and 2 and the Rock Band series. I got Guitar Hero 3 but was disappointed with the direction they took the series in, so I haven't bought a GH game since 3. They just got too arcadey and focused too much on being extreme or hardcore rather than being fun. Rock Band is able to straddle the line being music sim and fun, plus I think it's just made with a better level of polish than GH.

Power Gig seems interesting, but Rock Band 3 is doing the same and more. You can use a real guitar, a simulated real guitar (it has 102 buttons to simulate every spot where you could press on the string), and the regular guitars to play the game. Power Gig is also pushing the fact that it has songs from artists who have never had songs in a music game before, but I frankly don't care about those artists. Rock Band 3 will have thousands of songs (counting RB1, RB2, Green Day, AC/DC, and all the DLC) from the beginning, has 4 instruments (adding keyboards), plus vocal harmonies. It's a game that has actually evolved and improved from iteration to iteration and I expect 3 to be excellent.

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
Originally Posted by Kazz
Funny I'm kinda in the middle of 3 games at the moment. I'm playing Monday Night Combat with some friends online while taking Super Street Fighter 4 breaks. When I get bored that I just get some Metroid in. All of this will come to a close when Dead Rising comes out
How is the new Metroid? I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually, but was wondering how it compares to Prime 3 Corruption.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Metroid: Other M is about as Japanese of a take on Metroid as you can get. This is a good thing and a bad thing. The combat is really well done, the graphics are surprisingly good for a Wii game, and there are a bunch of secrets to find (hidden items). That said, it has a terrible story, horrible voice acting, unskippable cutscenes, arbitrary breaks in the action that the game would have been better off without, and a whole series of other minor design choices that are prevalent in Japanese games (for example, a path from point A to point B could be block because a certain door is no locked, even though there's no real reason for that door to be locked, its just where the developers decided you should go at this moment).

Overall, wait for the price to go down. I was able to get through the game and get all of the secret items within about 11 hours. I had no interest in playing through it on Hard, primarily because of the unskippable cutscenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks