What's new

What are these cables? PIC (1 Viewer)

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
What arethese cables used for?

I must be extremely ignorant! When would you use this? I have surround 5.1 and have a bare speaker wire from my speakers to bare speaker wire connector of my receiver.

These have RCA interconnects. Am I missing something?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
They're not speaker cables. They connect multichannel audio between a player (usually a DVD or multichannel audio player like SACD) to a receiver/amplifier (or, in some cases, to connect a preamp to amplifiers).

The same way you might have needed two RCA cables (red/white) to connect your tape deck to your stereo --- some DVD players have 6 channel audio outputs which require 6 rca cables to connect to the receiver.

See also:
Purposes of 6 channel inputs and outputs on HT equipment by Vince Maskeeper
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...293#post563293

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
to add to what vince said, it's for running the 6-channel ANALOG audio from a hirez dvd/cd player to a compatible receiver.

your player's audio is probably connected DIGITALLY to your receiver via a single coax or optical cable. hirez music, dvd-a and sacd, cannot be played back via a digital connection like that, and must utilize a 6-channel analog connection.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
although the purple-gray-brown-black colors aren't exactly... normal.

Not that the color of the cable means anything, though...

Leo Kerr

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Those look like the cables I just bought from Blue Jean cable, although I just purcahsed 5 of them. I am using them to hook my preamp to amp.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks