What's new

What are the outputs for on plate amps? (1 Viewer)

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Well im not sure if it belongs here or not but i apoligize in advance if it is in the wrong place.

But what are the outputs for on plate amps?

they have high level and line level outputs but they suggest NOT using them....why have them there then?

Also i noticed that when using the high level outputs, they seem to concentrate more on mid bass (i guess its midbass) and do not have the same range as if the speakers are connected to my reciever.

and why would you want to connect a line level output to anything??? daisy chaining? (isnt that like running it in series?)

Baldemar Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
You seem to have the answers already, but I'll add two bits anyway. The outputs are usually highpass filtered, as you've noted. You don't get full range, which is handy if you need the low bass removed from the smaller speakers in your system. This is easy to implement with the 'high level' inputs/outputs. The 'low level' outputs are a different story. Some are high pass filtered, some are not. The ones that are highpassed are a nice option if you're system is capable of utilizing them. They require a preout/prein loop somewhere before amplification, and unfortunately it's a feature that's being phased out on reasonably priced equipment. Obviously, if the low level outputs are highpassed, you can't use them to daisy chain to another sub amp (which is a parallel connection btw). If they are just a 'pass through', then it's pretty much a splitter builtin for convenience.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
so is it better to have highpassed or pass through outputs??

Brian Ding says that the outputs on the Rythmik amps are highpassed at 100Hz but i dont know if he is talking about all of them or just the high level outputs, since its what im using and what i told him im using.
Also it seems that when i got other speakers connected to the outputs, i dont get high range. I connected the ones im using as mains for the time being, and there was so much less treble then if i have them connected to my reciever

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
no, the highpass filter on the amps are 100Hz, but it would seem as if the outputs are passthrough.

If my reciever is connected to my sub using the high level inputs, and i connect speakers to the high level outputs, i only get bass (which is because my reciever has an amp/XO built in and only sends bass info to its sub out channel) but if i connect my computer to the line ins, and connect my reciever to the line outs (using its aux in) i get full range on my mains.
so im guessing that my outputs are not highpassed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On your receiver, you have to tell it that you have full-range (or LARGE) speakers so that it doesn't route the low end bass through the LFE/Sub output.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
But i dont have those settings on my reciever. It uses LFE during movies, and sub if it is in 2Ch, but there is no way to tell it what speakers im using (Pioneer XV-HTD520)
it is supposed to be used with the ones that came with it...but i dont have those. matter of fact the mains im using right now arent fit for paper weights. they are actually "surrounds" from a mini stereo system (they just put some music behind you that's it) and my sub. i wont have real fronts for a while yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks