What's new

What are the best Grateful Dead cds? (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
On a side note, is anyone going to get tickets for The Other Ones fall tour? We are going to try for either the Chicago or Indy show. I missed the Terrapin shows at Alpine Valley this past summer, but a couple of my friends went and they could not praise the shows enough. I haven't seen The Other Ones since '98. The Alpine Valley show from that year is still one of the best concerts I have ever seen (Dark Star, St. Stephen, and The Eleven are just a few of the highlights).

-Dean-

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
I'm gonna offer a different opinion on Dosin' at the Knick. I think that release is just average at best. Granted the Terrapin is great, the Mind Left Body Jam that follows never really blossoms... thanks to Bobby playing fills instead of taking over the rhythm and letting Jerry soar above. I may be a picky Deadhead, but that release just doesn't do much for me. I personally prefer the Jerry Garcia Band over the Dead during that 1989-1995 period.

I would suggest you instead parlay that money into a Dicks Pick, or a spindle of Fujis.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
David,

I can see where you are coming from. It isn't the greatest live CD, but I think what is there is pretty good and, as I said earlier, I do enjoy listening to it. The 1st CD which is a compilation of the nights 1st sets is actually pretty good, but it is the Terrapin that keeps me coming back. Now, I would take most of the Dick's Picks over this, but Dozin' has some good stuff on it.

I do wish that we would get out of the 1990-1991 funk with DVD and CD releases. Lets see some more from 1970, 71, 73, 85, 69, and especially 77 (my favorite year).

I personally prefer the Jerry Garcia Band over the Dead during that 1989-1995 period.
I do too. The JGB material from 1990 is exceptional. If you guys don't have the How Sweet it Is... or Shining Star CDs, I recommend you pick them up quickly.

-Dean-

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I personally prefer the Jerry Garcia Band over the Dead during that 1989-1995 period.
C'mon. You guys don't like Vince Welnick!? ;)
I am thinking about getting tix to The Other Ones in Philly. Playing two nights, although the shows aren't listed on ticketmaster.com yet. I almost did mail order but didn't feel like going through the work.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I'm partial to the live albums they released back to back in the early '70s: the first one is called "Grateful Dead", with a skull and roses cover; the one that starts with 'Bertha.' The other one is "Europe 72". Each album has some stuff I don't like on it but a lot of stuff I do like.

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
Dean, I agree with everything you wrote. I'm listening to Dosin' disc one right now, "at least I'm enjoying the ride ride... ride... ride" Good stuff. The first sets from these later years are usually more interesting to me than the second sets, as strange as that might sound.

Michael_T

Second Unit
On a side note, is anyone going to get tickets for The Other Ones fall tour? We are going to try for either the Chicago or Indy show. I missed the Terrapin shows at Alpine Valley this past summer, but a couple of my friends went and they could not praise the shows enough. I haven't seen The Other Ones since '98. The Alpine Valley show from that year is still one of the best concerts I have ever seen (Dark Star, St. Stephen, and The Eleven are just a few of the highlights).
I will be going to the Continental Airlines Arena on 11/20. Mail-order through GD ticket sales has been sent on Monday 10/7. Hopefully will find out before tomorrow morning if they filled our order for tickets or I might be forced to buy some via Ticketmaster.

I really hate it when they do mail-order so close to the ticketmaster on-sale date since if you mail-order and get shut-out, and don't buy tickets via Ticketmaster you will get fully shut-out of the show if it sells out, and I refuse to support scalpers.

I have been to many Phil and Friends shows over the past few years and did see the Other Ones on their first "Further Festival" jaunt. I had tickets to see them (but without Phil on bass) a few years ago - but family medical problems were more important at the time, so I had to give my tickets away.

Whatever happens I do not intend to miss this go round.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Got two tix for Philly Saturday night. Section 209. Can't wait. I think they sold out in ~25 minutes.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
John, how's the audio quality on the Workingmans Dead DVD-A? I didn't even know those two were out in that format, but I think I'm going to have to take a ride to Tower!
I think the quality of the Dead DVDA's is excellent. The sonics on these blow away the conventional cd release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks