What's new

What are my options on building an enclosure for my 12" Dayton DVC?? (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
A few days ago, I acquired a Dayton 12" DVC from Acoustic Visions. Currently have the driver in my Jensen cabinet, but would like to build my own enclosure and purchase a plate amp for it (believe Parts Express has a 250 watt plate amp on sale for 119 bucks....would this be a good mate for the sub?).

What are my options for enclosures? Would like to stick with a fairly small enclosure and something easy to build. Every time I walk into Home Depot, I will go out of my way to go "drool" over the 4'x8' sheet of MDF, know that my enclosure starts there.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Just don't really know where to start (and have to admit, just a wee bit scared!!). Need some type of plan to get the ball rolling to really bring out the beast in the Dayton!!

Thank you.

Steve

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Steve, congrats on the purchase. What a great sub! I have a 12" DVC in a ~95L enclosure tuned to ~22hz with a 15" Passive Radiator from Adire Audio. It is also being powered by the 250W amp w/remote from PE. It's a perfect match!
Let me tell you, that set-up is awesome. It plays very deep and very loud! I am using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to level out the in-room response because there were some nasty humps. It sure sounds a lot better!
Since I have calibrated it using Video Essentials and an SPL meter, I have only bottomed it out once. The DTS version of The Haunting is a sub-killer!
BTW, to see my sub, just click on the web-site icon next to my name.
Also, just buy the MDF and start measurin' and cuttin'! I had never touched any wood working tools until I started my project, but it actually went pretty easy. It definitely got me obsessing about what I can build next. Actually, I just built a flexy TV stand. What's next?! :D

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice looking system, Jeff!!! Hope you're saving a few hours a week for the books, though!! With that kind of system, would make it pretty tough.

I was looking at the spec sheets over at Adire Audio for my Dayton, but I think those specs were for a Shiva. However, people here have said that the Dayton and the Shiva are very close in performance, so maybe I could use one of those spec sheets to build with.

Would be looking at building the smallest cabinet. Lots of research to do yet, but I am getting ancy on getting going with something.

Steve

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Steve, I actually used the 95L PR design spec sheet that Adire offers for the Shiva. I had originally planned to get a Shiva but I just couldn't wait two months for the next shipment. So I got the DVC and have never regretted it! Amazing driver!

The only change I had to make to the design was the amount of weight to add to the PR to accomodate the DVC. I just posted the question here on this forum and a couple of the more knowledgables helped me out.

Right now, the sub and rest of the home theater (I replaced all of my speakers with JBL S26s, the center with the JBL S-Center, and the tv with a JVC 32" D-series) is here at my sister's house, where I'm living for the summer. Crazy thing is is that it literally shakes the floor. Just couldn't do that in a dorm made from cinder blocks!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Since it needs a fairly small cabinet, I'm partial to PR alignments for the DVC. Here's one I did:

The details of which are in this thread . I've also done a very small (~1ft^3) box for it in which it works quite well. Great little driver.

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that is one fine looking sub, Jack!!! Very cool. Although it looks a little advanced for my humble skills!!

Steve

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, but no skills are more humble than mine, I assure you. It's just a box with holes.

Joe Meissner

Stunt Coordinator
here is one i did but i used an old SVS 12" driver. sounds awesome and I only know enough about wood working to be dangerous.:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Don't listen to Jack. He's just a humble guy in general. I personally haven't tackled the gloss black laminate yet, so I would definitely look to him for advice if/when I give it a shot.

We am getting pretty good at wrapping veneer around an enclosure though! Wait 'til you guys see the A/V-1+'s that we just finished! They look even better than the Paradox 1 pics I posted last week! These babies look like pieces of high end antique furniture! I just hope pictures do them justice.

Brian

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
I did one like Jack was talking about a little while ago, and I've been exceedingly happy with it. Some pictures are here. Basically about a 14" x 14" x 15" cube (don't remember right offhand). I wanted as small as possible as well. And no one has more humble skills than I do, trust me. Details on request :).
Good luck! You'll love the results, I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks