What's new

What annoys you? (3 Viewers)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was annoyed at incompetence that happened yesterday. There were a couple of Amazon prime packages that were set on my rear steps (no porch or awning on the rear of my house). The packages got wet due to some rain that moved through the area. The packages weren’t for me, and it should have been obvious to the package handler that they shouldn’t have been dropped at my house (the street number on the packages was 103, and my house is clearly marked 536). Turns out that the packages were for someone who lives behind my house, so, with the help of Google Maps, I delivered the packages to the rightful owner myself (it’s now their problem to solve the water damage issue).
Cliff Clavin now works in my little town.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I like lemon on some fish (and chicken) but it depends on the preparation. I don't normally squeeze it on at the table.

I don't understand people using tartar sauce on fish (or steak sauce on steak) unless you're trying to mask the flavor. If the fish (or steak) is prepared properly you don't need a sauce (why I don't eat steak - I've rarely had one prepared properly - if I'm going to have to use a sauce on it to make it edible just bring me a burger).

Tartar sauce is for your fries.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Just before the Zombie Apocalypse, my wife and I turned our house into a “smart home”. We put a Google hub or mini in every room, and just about every light fixture, the thermostat, door bell, garage door, and Roomba, were set to respond when we said “Hey Google”. These worked without incident until April.

Since then everything fails to operate on a random basis. I made a log of when we lose wifi last weekend and on Sunday for instance it was 14 times. Sometimes it comes back by itself, sometimes I have to go to the basement and unplug the cable modem.

The company and I agree that we need a technician to come over to fix it. Each month we have had an appointment canceled due to COVID. Well at least I no longer need a haircut having pulled all mine out, though I might need plastic surgery to repair the lower lip I have bit through.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don’t remember seeing as many cops patrolling the highway as I’ve seen in the past 10 days. My dedicated freight run has me on I-75 between Cincinnati and Toledo every day from Monday through Friday, and cops are all over that 200 mile stretch. Anyone who runs this interstate need to be mindful of the speedometer.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Shrubbery. More specifically, trimming the shrubbery. I spent 7 hours outside breathing through the wet sock that is Arkansas heat and humidity just so I could try and tame this 15’ tall X 20’ long mess that is about 10 holly bushes planted too closely together as well as too closely to the side of the garage. (Another boneheaded landscaping decision made by a previous owner and not maintained properly by the last owner.) I’m all scratched up, bruised, bloody, sore, tired beyond belief, and the hedge looks pitiful, but it’s now about 4’ tall. Short of ripping the damn things out and having no shrubbery there (I want to but my wife isn’t too keen on the idea), I may have to end up hiring a gardener next year. Or perhaps a shrubber. Perhaps Roger the Shrubber might be available. I am serious about hiring a gardener. Our lawn is .75 acres with about a dozen trees and a steep hillside in the back leading up to the neighbor’s yard. If I mow properly using both my riding mower and self-propelled push mower, then trim around everything and edge the driveway, the footpath from the driveway to the front doors, and along both streets (we have a corner lot) with the weed eater, then blow off said driveway and footpath with the leaf blower, it takes right at 5 hours. Our old yard was three times as big but only took 2 hours because 95% of it was spent on a riding mower and there was very little to be trimmed up with a weed eater.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Running the mouse along a page, knowing that there should be a link, but the cursor stays as an arrow instead of turning into the clicky finger, all because the page is taking forever to load, even though you can see all of the content.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Why do decorators in all the shows insist on putting the flat screen tv above the fire place instead of at eye level? They also seem to want to put couches at right angles to it. I suppose it looks pretty, but you would never be able to watch anything over 30 min. long without going to the chiropractor the next day!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Running the mouse along a page, knowing that there should be a link, but the cursor stays as an arrow instead of turning into the clicky finger, all because the page is taking forever to load, even though you can see all of the content.
10 points to Gryffindor for the cunning use of “clicky finger”. :D

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Why do decorators in all the shows insist on putting the flat screen tv above the fire place instead of at eye level? They also seem to want to put couches at right angles to it. I suppose it looks pretty, but you would never be able to watch anything over 30 min. long without going to the chiropractor the next day!
The simple answer is they don’t have any idea what they’re doing.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Stupid human nature- things a lot of people do that makes little or no sense. Examples-

The driver who sees a cop sitting in the median, and he/she slows down to BELOW the speed limit. It’s likely the cop has the driver pegged before he/she sees them.

In Cincinnati, on I-75, between the river and the north side beltway, people drive like an imbecile through this stretch- too fast, changing lanes too abruptly, cutting your nose off. As soon as I get past the north side beltway (I-275), and I mean IMMEDIATELY after I get past the 275 interchange, everyone’s driving habits seem to change- slower speeds, more courteous,
making more room between themselves and others. Most of us know the imbecilic driving leads to accidents. Shouldn’t things be the exact opposite here? In city limits, drive more cautious, and when you leave the city, raise Hell?

Speaking of Cincinnati, it’s best to stay away now due to the ass being torn out of the major roads by way of construction. This is REALLY annoying- a major construction project was started on 71/75
south of the river on June 22nd. It’s been screwing up traffic in that region badly. There’s a reasonable detour that’s available if you’re trying to avoid 71/75-
I-471 to I-275 west back to 71/75. The problem with this is the detour is also under construction, with lane closures, so you’re screwed no matter what you do. These construction projects could have likely been planned better. Really, really, really annoying.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Our cable company is driving me nuts! Our local company was bought out by Rogers. Because of this our cable and phone modem have to be changed as well as our e-mail address. We also must exchange our PVRs for “Rogers Ignite” (?). We have several dead spots in our house, and WiFi goes out at least 4 times a day, so we needed a technician to come to the house and fix problems.

This was in March. Covid hit! We rescheduled to April, then March, May, June, July, August, then September. Each time they said “We can drop off the equipment and talk you through installation on the phone”. Each month because of all the problems we have I told them we needed the technician.

I called in late August to re-schedule again, and was told to keep the September date and a technician would arrive at the house today between 10 am and noon! He would come in and do the work. It cost $95, but we would get money back for our PVRs. He also would see if we needed boosters for the internet.

One arrived promptly at 10.00 a.m. and said “I’ll drop the equipment off here and talk you through it on the phone”. No one had scheduled what is apparently called a “pro install”!

While typing this, I have been on hold. I have been on the phone for the last hour going from department to department trying to reschedule. They only have 4 crappy songs playing over and over, punctuated by ads telling me how wonderful Rogers is

Update — on phone for 2 hours!
Re-scheduled for October. No guarantee they can come in house.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Agreed - people with, usually, a talent of some sort. Most of the influencers don't seem to have any discernable talent other than fluency with their iPhone...

Back in the day, such "rockstars" and "movie stars" can also hire their own producers, managers, consultants, etc .... to feign musical/theatrical fluency and "mold" their public image.

In the case of rockstars/popstars, their record producer can "clean up" their sound + deficiency of talent, such that they sound minimally coherent and presentable to the public (ie. top 40 and eMpTV).

Underneath the public image of rockstars and/or "movie stars", they can be completely drug addicted basketcases.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Speaking of Cincinnati, it’s best to stay away now due to the ass being torn out of the major roads by way of construction. This is REALLY annoying- a major construction project was started on 71/75
south of the river on June 22nd. It’s been screwing up traffic in that region badly. There’s a reasonable detour that’s available if you’re trying to avoid 71/75-
I-471 to I-275 west back to 71/75. The problem with this is the detour is also under construction, with lane closures, so you’re screwed no matter what you do. These construction projects could have likely been planned better. Really, really, really annoying.

What I'd like to know is, what joker up there had the idiotic (IMO) idea to not only put the main road under construction, but also put the escape route (detour) under construction? Are the roads messed up that badly?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
What I'd like to know is, what joker up there had the idiotic (IMO) idea to not only put the main road under construction, but also put the escape route (detour) under construction? Are the roads messed up that badly?
I’m going to assume the 71/75 repairs had to do with eroding foundation underneath the concrete- if you know that area, you know that’s a steep hill of more than a mile at the river. The 275 repairs- not sure about that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks