What's new

What annoys you? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'll expand that one to say *any* song used in a commercial that's not specifically written for the commercial, especially when the son's full lyrics aren't taken into consideration when it's selected, as is often the case. I call such use creative bankruptcy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
For the love of God:

That was southbound on I-787 in Albany today.

I mean...c'mon, man. Who do they think is their audience here?? Some four-or-five-year-olds? :rolleyes:

Maybe next they'll start putting some elephant jokes up on the signs.

Q. What time is it when an elephant sits on your fence?

A. Time to get a new fence.

That would be just as helpful.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley

I mean...c'mon, man. Who do they think is their audience here?? Some four-or-five-year-olds? :rolleyes:

I saw a few of those in Illinois recently. Also saw one that said something about "social distancing" on the road. :rolleyes:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
For the love of God:

There are many who don’t think it’s necessary to wear a mask. Perhaps the sign is aimed at their IQ level. :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
For the love of God:

Unfortunately, I’ve seen more than a few four and five years old with gray in their hair not wearing masks.

Mike Frezon

Premium
There are many who don’t think it’s necessary to wear a mask. Perhaps the sign is aimed at their IQ level. :D
Unfortunately, I’ve seen more than a few four and five years old with gray in their hair not wearing masks.

For sure, but putting infantile messages on highway signs (purchased to provide legit road/traffic information) ain't gonna make one bit of difference. Not one bit. Although I bet there's a bureaucrat or two somewhere with warm, fuzzy feelings about saving the world with their "don't be a turkey" message.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
For sure, but putting infantile messages on highway signs (purchased to provide legit road/traffic information) ain't gonna make one bit of difference. Not one bit. Although I bet there's a bureaucrat or two somewhere with warm, fuzzy feelings about saving the world with their "don't be a turkey" message.
We disagree, if it changes the mind of just a few people then it's worth it to me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I know we have a “what baffles you” thread, but I’ll still place this here. It baffles me how much the signs bother some people.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I know we have a “what baffles you” thread, but I’ll still place this here. It baffles me how much the signs bother some people.

I'll drop it so as not to bother anyone here any more. But as I believe I said when I first brought it up, for me this is simply a manifestation of all that is wrong with government.

No one is EVER going to be moved to wear a face mask because they drive down a highway and see a sign that says "Don't be a turkey. Wear a mask." You know it, I know it, and the American people know it.

What's going to come next? "Don't be a bad sole. Wear sensible shoes to avoid back problems." Or, even worse, "Thanks for driving safely, Rufus T. Firefly, Governor"

Years ago, someone in NYS's Department of Transportation (or the governor's office) made a decision that these programmable signs were a good idea. The reason given at the time was that they would be a safety device to be able to warn motorists about bad weather or accidents/problems ahead. So the signs were purchased at great expense to the taxpayer to keep motorists safe by providing useful information. I can only imagine how much it cost to erect and maintain these signs.

But like SO MANY OTHER expenses made using taxpayer money, the reasons given at the time of the expenditure are now forgotten/ignored (presumably because it is figured that the public has a short memory). I have made no secret of the fact that I have worked for decades in state government and have been very close to the decision-making that surrounds the mistaken belief on the part of representatives that its okay to take citizen's money and spend it on ill-conceived ideas and projects that add little or nothing to the public welfare.

There are countless such examples of wasteful spending. But every time I drive down a highway and see these stupid, unclever signs it reminds me of how much money is regularly wasted on such enterprises. I guess I feel like my nose is getting rubbed in it.

So, this is something that annoys me. But I'll drop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerkyboyz2jerkymen