What's new

What annoys you? (2 Viewers)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
This may have been said by someone else earlier in this thread (I might have said it)- as a truck driver, I’ve seen this every Summer holiday weekend- the cops are out in full force the day before the extended weekend starts, setting up speed traps, and raking in the bucks. While I have enormous respect for our LEO’s, I have little or no respect for this practice. Yes, I’ll agree with everyone who says the drivers should know this practice by now, and be conscious of the speed limit, but at the same time this practice has a scummy, take money from the citizens vibe to it. Last Thursday morning, on I-75 south between Cincinnati and Georgetown KY, I saw 4 trooper vehicles on the shoulder, within a 1/4 mile of each other, each one with the blue lights on, each one sitting behind a car. Yuck.

It's not so much the money grab, as certain agencies don't actually get a cut of the revenue generated by tickets. But what bothers me (and I say this as someone kind of on the inside) is the way they measure success on those weekends is by how many tickets get written. The official stance is that it's "accident reduction efforts". But unofficially it's become a numbers game. They put at least 75% of the force on the road and tell them to write as many tickets as possible. I don't have a problem with the 75% working. That's fine to add extra visibility. But I have an issue when I see a cop writing a ticket during the weekend that I know he wouldn't have written the prior Thursday.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
While I’m on the subject, crappy java-based Blu-ray menus. After about 5 minutes of being paused, my Sony Blu-ray player shuts down and I have to go into the poorly written menu to tell it to play the Dolby TrueHD track and then fiddle around with the crappy menu to find the scene selection menu and get back to close to where I was when I had to pause the movie six minutes ago because of a dang interruption.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
While I’m on the subject, crappy java-based Blu-ray menus. After about 5 minutes of being paused, my Sony Blu-ray player shuts down and I have to go into the poorly written menu to tell it to play the Dolby TrueHD track and then fiddle around with the crappy menu to find the scene selection menu and get back to close to where I was when I had to pause the movie six minutes ago because of a dang interruption.

--What did you have to pause the film for?

--Also, why would the menu be written to where if you left the film paused for too long, the player would turn itself off?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
--What did you have to pause the film for?

--Also, why would the menu be written to where if you left the film paused for too long, the player would turn itself off?
Walked to the kitchen to get a drink and got pulled into a conversation that could have waited an hour and a half.

The blu-ray player itself will turn off after being paused five minutes. That, in itself, is irritating. The particular disc I was watching (The Matrix) apparently doesn’t have a resume feature encoded to tell the player to pick up where it left off and so it restarts from the very beginning of the movie and I have to start trying to remember if I access the main menu with the Menu or Top Menu button or if I have to skip forward a few chapters to get past trailers to the menu so I can change audio tracks and find the chapter closest to where I left off.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Walked to the kitchen to get a drink and got pulled into a conversation that could have waited an hour and a half.

The blu-ray player itself will turn off after being paused five minutes. That, in itself, is irritating. The particular disc I was watching (The Matrix) apparently doesn’t have a resume feature encoded to tell the player to pick up where it left off and so it restarts from the very beginning of the movie and I have to start trying to remember if I access the main menu with the Menu or Top Menu button or if I have to skip forward a few chapters to get past trailers to the menu so I can change audio tracks and find the chapter closest to where I left off.
Yes it’s an annoyance that some video distribution companies don’t include the resume feature on the BluRay- New Line is an example. I tried to pick up Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King where I left off- no luck. The longer the film, the more important the resume feature is, IMO.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes it’s an annoyance that some video distribution companies don’t include the resume feature on the BluRay- New Line is an example. I tried to pick up Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King where I left off- no luck. The longer the film, the more important the resume feature is, IMO.

My copy of The China Syndrome on that Indicator/Powerhouse Films region-free Blu has a resume function which will pick up where you left off; however, in order to start the film from the beginning, you have to let the film finish, let the disc get back to the menu on the Blu, then turn the player off.

Others of mine are written to where a resume option will come up and ask you if you want to resume; you can either say yes and resume, or say no and go back to the menu.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
My copy of The China Syndrome on that Indicator/Powerhouse Films region-free Blu has a resume function which will pick up where you left off; however, in order to start the film from the beginning, you have to let the film finish, let the disc get back to the menu on the Blu, then turn the player off.

Others of mine are written to where a resume option will come up and ask you if you want to resume; you can either say yes and resume, or say no and go back to the menu.
That’s even more strange and annoying that some discs don’t either give you a choice to resume, or default to the main menu if you turn the film off, and then turn it on again.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

You *might* be able to change that time out "feature" in your player's set up menu. I've been burned/annoyed by that so many times it's one of the first things I look for and do with a new player.

Universal discs go to a screen saver after a few minutes being on pause. It took me quite a while to find out I have to press the button in the center of the arrow cluster and *not* play (which would be logical) to get the disc to resume.

I've never been able to figure out why some BR discs are authored without "resume". It seems like that should be a requirement.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
You *might* be able to change that time out "feature" in your player's set up menu. I've been burned/annoyed by that so many times it's one of the first things I look for and do with a new player.

Universal discs go to a screen saver after a few minutes being on pause. It took me quite a while to find out I have to press the button in the center of the arrow cluster and *not* play (which would be logical) to get the disc to resume.

I've never been able to figure out why some BR discs are authored without "resume". It seems like that should be a requirement.
No dice on changing the timeout. That was one of the first things I tried to disable when I bought the unit a few years ago. To get past the Universal screen saver on mine, I have to press the down key on the remote. All other keys either do nothing or completely stop the film.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
DRIVE SOBER

===

OR GET PULLED OVER

:rolleyes:
2F4D6F0B-7D75-49AC-98B9-CC1255FD7903.jpeg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A couple of variations on the interstate around here tonight:

Phones down! Masks up!

Slow down! Masks up!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’m just waiting for the state police to begin an “Up your nose with a rubber hose” campaign. I wonder if many people would even pay attention and read the signs since they’ve been flashing stupid, useless slogans for years instead of giving useful traffic information.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
About message signs- Kentucky just started this one- Who hates speeding tickets? Raise your right foot
That’s not an awful one, actually.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
This Geico commercial might have already been mentioned in this thread- the one with the HOA representative who cuts flower pots from the porch of a home, and does other HOA stuff. That commercial makes my blood boil. I’m glad I don’t live in a neighborhood that has a similar association.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The first winner of this contest is now posted on some highway signs:

What's your hurry?
You're in Vermont!

As someone who LOVES Vermont (ILUVERMONT)...and whose wife and in-laws are from Vermont...that's pretty funny.

But, still a completely improper use of those types of signs. Just use them for what they were designed for: traffic/weather-related information. Don't use them for redundant information that drivers already know all-too-well.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Getting woken up after only 2 hours of sleep then not being able to go back to sleep.

Also, I don’t understand people squeezing lemon on fish. It just makes the fish taste like it’s gone bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks