What's new

What about Blu-Ray Lossless Master Audio (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
With the apparent demise of both DVD-Audio and SACD, is there any movement on the production of music only content on Blu-Ray discs using the Lossless Master Audio format, or is that going to be reserved as a track option for video titles only?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard of any movement, but chances are the music labels wouldn't be interested until they've finished exploiting every last person who would accept lossy music. Once people decide that even 320kbps mp3 is not good enough -- and that may not happen until every GenX and GenY person somehow manages to buy a house and gets real speakers -- then they'll start selling slightly-higher-than-CD resolution music. And then some time after that, even-more-slightly-higher resolution music... And then... well by then we'll be out of oil and living in a white line nightmare, so who knows.

Problem with releasing perfect quality music is they'd only be able to sell it to us once. And they don't want to do that.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Update: This Mortal Coil (remember them? A 4AD supergrounp of other 4AD artists?) are releasing their 3 albums as one BluRay disc. In addition to some sort of lossless track there will be flacs with CD quality that you can transfer to your computer, and mp3s. Why the flacs are only going to be CD quality, when flac could hold high-def audio, is unclear. Maybe the final specs will be different.

No doubt there's at least twelve people in the US and UK who will rush out to buy this.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
As they say, it only takes one to start something. Seriously, this could be the solution for every music lover out there, and it appears Blu-ray is not going anywhere anytime soon, and getting more global coverage of players every day... We can only hope.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I read in S & V magazine where Tom Petty was thinking of releasing some of his albums on BluRay. And didn't Neil Young release some of his catalog on BR already or am I remembering this in-correctly?

BR might be our last hope of ever getting any substantial amount of music in hi-resolution. Speed an convenience are all that matters to everyone today.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Honestly, I don't want to have to spend my time ripping, copying or otherwise having to work at getting lossless music in a package I can use anywhere. I want it done for me, and as noted in Will's second post, Blu-ray can offer everything I want, and more. I can afford to buy such a product and would do so in an instant if it were available.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I would also prefer to just buy a BluRay HD music disc and plop it in my BR player but everthing is moving to the internet. Down-loading hi-resolution music to your computers hard drive might end up being the only way to get it. Better than nothing.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
Have you checked out AIX Records (www.aixrecords.com). I think Mark (I believe that's his name, is starting to do some blu ray productions. I have a couple of his dvd-a's. He has done a really nice job on those recordings, although he has a limited number of recordings (30 or 40 or 50? maybe--dvd-a's, not blu-ray. I think he may have 1 or 2 or 3 bluray's out--haven't looked recently).

He is pretty busy, but is dedicated to giving good surround sound recordings. I do have the Lowen and Navarro dvd-a. I would highly recommend it (at least I really like it). I had a chance a couple of years ago (at least the wife asked if I wanted to go) to go see them in Scottsdale, but, unfortunately we didn't go--wished I had now. I also have "The Brand New Opry" and Hanna-McKeuen, "Tried and True" dvd's, along with a couple of their sampler disks. Again, good quality music/video.

The prices are a little more than I am used to paying, but he generally gives you two disks with 2 or 3 listening options on them.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bill Cowmeadow

Honestly, I don't want to have to spend my time ripping, copying or otherwise having to work at getting lossless music in a package I can use anywhere. I want it done for me...

Tell me about it! I ultimately want my music in Apple Lossless, so when I buy lossless from places like JunoDownload, typically I have to go from flac > wav > manually renaming each song, track number, album and artist name > apple lossless > embed cover art. It's a 20 minute process.

It is a pain in the butt and I can't imagine anyone who is not obsessive about music would bother to do all that.

All that needs to happen is for either iTunes or Amazon to start selling Apple Lossless (ideally a high-res version of Apple Lossless down the road), with all the wok done for me in advance, and that will be it. No more work.*

*Well, there's always SOME more work -- I rename the album artist field manually so that "Joan Jett" versus "Joan Jett & The Blackhearts" are in the same section. And I typically download 1000x1000 (or larger) pixel cover artwork from albumartexchange.com rather than using iTunes small artwork.

xiaoxin

Auditioning
Real Name
xiaoxin
I don't want to have to spend my time ripping, copying or otherwise link of london having to work at getting lossless music in a package I can use anywhere. links of london bracelets I want it done for me, and as noted in Will's second post, Blu-ray can offer everything I want, and more. I can afford to buy such a product and would do so in an instant if it were available.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, Blue Ray CDs? No doubt these thngs are DRMed up the wazoo and only offer a tiny improvement over their mainstream ancestors - no thank you. I'll stick with a format that I can rip and use anywhere I like (or with records, a format that sounds better than either of them)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Originally Posted by Will_B

I haven't heard of any movement, but chances are the music labels wouldn't be interested until they've finished exploiting every last person who would accept lossy music. Once people decide that even 320kbps mp3 is not good enough -- and that may not happen until every GenX and GenY person somehow manages to buy a house and gets real speakers -- then they'll start selling slightly-higher-than-CD resolution music. And then some time after that, even-more-slightly-higher resolution music... And then... well by then we'll be out of oil and living in a white line nightmare, so who knows.

Problem with releasing perfect quality music is they'd only be able to sell it to us once. And they don't want to do that.

By the time that happens many of the X/yers will have hearing loss from their ear buds and a 320 mp3 will still be just fine....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Damn the Torpedos is out on blu ray audio now. Not sure if there is more. I bet it sounds great but not great enough for me to want to spend $25+ for a music cd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks