What's new

What A/V gear is on your current want list? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking of what A/V gear I currently "need", and in trying to organize my thoughts, I decided to start a thread here on the subject. So, what are you looking to buy? There's a lot of new, exciting gear out there. My list is below. I don't know when and if I will get any or all of it, but it's the current list (in no particular order). I guess by sharing your list, you could take the opportunity to seek suggestions, if necessary. I will take suggestions.
1) Speaker cables for Totem Arro floorstanding speakers. I bought the Arros a month ago for the main stereo system within my home theater and am using standard Monster speaker wire that came off a 50-foot roll at Circuit City. I've never been big on speaker wire and cables, but I have a system that may be good enough to realize an improvement with new wire and cables. However, I don't want to go broke in the process. For now, I am considering the Kimber Kable 4TC speaker cables. An 8-foot pair sells for $168 at Audio Advisor. If the 4TC cables or something similarly priced are better than the Monster wire, I will consider bi-wiring the Arros with the same cables.
2) RCA Interconnects for a few components. Here is where things can get hairy and expensive. I am using Monster Interlink 400mkII RCA interconnects from Circuit City and Best Buy. Many people have urged me to get better cables. The salesman that sold me the Totem Arro speakers said flat out that "Monster cables have no place in high-end audio." Believe it or not, he was very nice to deal with, and I learned a lot about audio in the couple hours I was in the store. Anyway, I am looking for new interconnects for a Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD player and an Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player. I have no idea what I will buy, but again, I don't want to spend big bucks. I figure no more than $250 a pair, and that includes the fact that I need a 2-meter run for the '777ES.
If new cables for the '777ES and Ah! yield a significant improvement, I will consider new cables for a Sony MDS-JA555ES MD deck. It's only MD, but the 'JA555ES makes MDs sound incredibly close to CD. Maybe different cables would help there too. The 'JA555ES is certainly not a priority, however. On the other hand, I would subsequently consider new cables for a Sony SCD-C333ES SACD/CD changer and Pioneer Elite PD-65 CD player in a second system. Cha-ching! Here is where the expense on cables could build up fast.
3) Jumper cables for integrated amp(s). This is an inexpensive upgrade. For $40-45, I can replace the lousy quality U-connectors on my NAD integrated amps that bridge the pre-amp and power amp sections with nice quality silver jumper cables. Some people have told me that this can be a significant upgrade in one's system for little money. I would buy jumpers for the amp in my main system, and if they worked out, would then consider them for the integrated amp in the second system.
4) New speakers for second system. I am using Energy e:XL 16 bookshelf speakers in my second system. My main and second stereo systems are rather similar as both have NAD integrated amps (C 370 and C 350) and Sony SACD players (the aforementioned '777ES and 'C333ES). The also aforementioned Totem Arro speakers have worked like a peach in the main system, so rather than messing around with different brands, I could go for another pair of Arros for the second system. They aren't overly expense ($895 for a demo pair) and they sound great. I was using Energy e:XL 16 speakers for music in my main system prior to buying the Arros and have heard firsthand how much better the Arros are. I would certainly buy new speakers for the second system before messing around with new speaker cables and RCA interconnects.
5) Multi-channel SACD player. If a respectable number of multi-channel SACDs (whatever that number may be) become available in the next few months, I may take the plunge. I've been researching players and am leaning towards the Sony SCD-C222ES, which retails for $800. Oade Bros. is selling it for $575. I am intrigued by multi-channel SACD, but now is not the time to jump in for me. It's just on the radar screen.
6) Pioneer DV-440 DVD player. This is not a high priority item, but if you peruse the Home Theater Hardware board, you may have noticed that I am interested in this player. It's only selling for around $200 and has a Burr-Brown DAC and plays MP3-encoded CDs. I am intrigued by it for the MP3 capability. Although the sound may not be great, the ability to throw in one disc with ten hours of music is inviting.
7) Headphones. I am considering a pair of Sennheiser or Grado headphones for under $200. Not a must-have, but there are times when they would be convenient.
Well, that's the list right now. If anyone has suggestions regarding these items, especially speaker cables or RCA interconnects, feel free to offer them as you post your want list.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Sorry I caught myself looking at your postcount in awe. How can a guy post almost 3000 times in 18 months :) Does the sun burn your eyes????
Anyways
I don' really need anything. While I live at my parents place I'm using my HTIB503. My Paradigms have been sitting in the box for 9 months along with all the other stuff.
The Kenwood sub doesn't do much on a conrete floor.
When I move out, the first thing I'll get is a 2 pairs of Studio 20s.
Then I'll build a Shiva or Tempest sub(or 2 :))
LL cool B

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brent, maybe I should get out more. However, believe it or not, there are some members who have posted far more than I have in less time. Nevertheless, I can't stay outside for too long. The sun is awfully bright. :)
You said:
quote: I don' really need anything. While I live at my parents place I'm using my HTIB503. My Paradigms have been sitting in the box for 9 months along with all the other stuff.[/quote]
"Need" really has nothing to do with it. :) Having Paradigm speakers sitting a box takes a lot of self-restraint. I commend you.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on September 11, 2001 at 01:48 PM]

Benny G

Second Unit
Well, I'm looking into a subwoofer at this time..
wink.gif

Then maybe a center channel and a couple surrounds...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks