What's new

What a difference...Diamonds are forever. (1 Viewer)

Riaad

Agent
Hi

I purchased 1 pair of 8.1's and the Diamond center this weekend. Hope to get the 8.3's or 8.4's soon.I connected the 8.1's as my mains in the mean time .Wow, what a difference. Im no audiophile but comparing them to my Jvc speakers , its like night and day.Well no contest really.
These speakers are brilliant.The bass output is also very impressive from such a small speaker.I may even get another pair and use the extra $ on a better sub.One thing that confuses me a little is connecting them up.They do have 4 binding posts at the back. 1HF 1LF - Black, 1HF 1Lf - Red.
The diagram on connecting the center channel says you need to connect the inner two. The diagram on the 8/1's says you need to connect the Inner positive and outer negative.I connected both the center and 8.1's on the inner 2. Is this right?. Does it make a difference? I would think as long as one is positive and negative and the metal plates intact it would be correct . They sounding great at the moment.

One more question, could anyone suggest whats the best way to wall mount these gems, or could I Mount a shelve and place them on top of the shelve?

Riaad

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Riaad

As long as the jumpers straps are in place, just wire to the correct polarity on each speakers. Dose not matter which set of red and black posts you use, top or bottom, the speakers will play fine.

I would use a speakers stands if possible up front as opposed to putting (in or on a shelf). The surrounds could be wall mounted or put on a shelf as long as it dose not impede the port flow. There are allot of different type mounts available along with others that have posted DIY wall mounting ideas.

If you go with the 8.3 or 8.4 you could go with out a sub for a while. Although they will produce bass into the lower 30's they are still in no way the equivalent of a good quality sub.

Going with another set of 8.1's or 8.2's and using the money saved toward stands/mounts and or a Sub, (sub definitely is needed if going all 8.1 or a combo of 1's and 2's), will certainly yield very good results also.
It's just a personal choice to the size of speaks you decide to go with.

A couple budget subs you might look into is the newer 12" Sony SA-500, or the more powerful (push pull designed dual 10" Sony SA-WX700). The 500 can be had for around 160.00 and the WX-700 for 199.00 or less + shipping/US. If the budget can be stretched to 300+, other subs are certainly worth looking into. I know you did NOT ask for suggestions, but thought I'd throw it out their as your going to want one sooner or later.:b

Glad to see you finally got at least 3 of your Wharf Diamonds! I know you where getting a little frustrated as I remember with your dealer.

Enjoy your new toys...

Regards
Geoff

AaronJB

Second Unit
Glad to hear it. I just ordered one of the last pairs (at the moment, it says they have 2 left) of 8.1s from Amazon.com yesterday. I was going to wait, but they were running low and Amazon seems to take ages to get more Wharfedale product in.

Riaad

Agent
Hi

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.I will definitly look into those 2 Sony subs.

I have been reading the Diy section in the Forum and it looks like a Diy sub could out class many retail subs at much higher prices.A added bonus is that my Dad is a cabinet maker by trade and A diy project would definitly be a option. The only problem i have is that I am from South Africa and we dont have any places like the ones you have in the Us that sell Diy drivers and Plate amps. Is it possible to buy online or would that be to expensive or too much of a risk in regards to warranty.

Riaad

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Riaad

Definitely, DIY will out perform $ for $ compared to over the counter subs.

Seeing as you have the ability & tools needed to do a DIY sub, you might post in the DIY area about your ~{location and help finding products for a good sub}~. Amp, Plate Amps, Woofers, etc.

I'm sure there is something available for DIY in South Africa.
Cervin Vega has a couple car drivers that model pretty good if the brand is available their.
Certainly not the best choice, but would assume their available in SA...?

The guys love a challenge and will do their best to help you out.

Regards
Geoff

Riaad

Agent
Geoff

Thanks. I will try the Diy section.
What would you suggest in terms of wire termination. eg. spade , banana on both the speaker and the amp side.The amp im using is a HK 300rds.

Riaad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks