What's new

Wharfedale Diamond series, Energie or what for 5.1 <$ (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
My local dealer is offering a "deal" on some speakers but I have never heard of this brand.

Anyone hear of Wharfedale? Looking at the Diamond 8 series which I have figured is not a model from this year. Heck the pamphlet he gave me dates from 2001.

A quick search hear turned up a few comments about them being flat.

Price however is really good as far as I can tell. About $1500 (Cananadian so about $1100 US) For:
Pair of Diamond 8.4 for front
Pair of Diamond 8 DFS for surround
Diamond 8 Centre
and For the sub:
Polk Audio 404

Anyone heard these? Is this a good deal? I did mention I wanted to keep it under $1500 for the speakers and sub.

Another store offered a Canadian brand named Energie and another one offered Paradigm.

I could use the help

Any suggestions? It's a small room.

Thanks.

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Diamond 8 series in the exact configuration that you mentioned (sans the sub)..... I love them... if you go to other audio forums folks praise them. You'll need a powerful amp though....

You may have this, but check out their review at www.audioreview.com

Diamond 8.4 (4.79 out of 5.0 --28 reviews)

http://www.audioreview.com/Main%20Sp...5_1594crx.aspx

Review for the center (4.6 out 5 -- 5 reviews)

http://www.audioreview.com/Center%20...6_2743crx.aspx

You may be able to find a better price than $1100 online, but that's your call. BTW: I absolutely love the DFS surround speakers. The Wharfdales are worth consideration for sure.

Although as most around here would probably agree, you can't go wrong with Paradigm (not sure about the Energy set).

FeisalK

Screenwriter
You can't go wrong with Paradigm :)

however, as is usual with speakers it would help A LOT if you could listen to them - even in the shop - all three are reputable brands but you may prefer the sound of one over the other.

Rolando

Screenwriter
do the DFS surround speakers need to be on the sides when used "out of phase"? or can they be on the back wall side by side (about 8 feet apart)?

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on your room configuration. I believe Wharfedale recommends having them on the back wall behind the listening position (if the position is close to the back wall) or if the back wall is a good distance from the listening position you mount them on the side walls behind the sweet spot.

My back wall is approximately 15-20 feet from the listening position and I have them mounted on the side walls. They produce a nice diffuse sound that I have found to enjoy much more than direct radiating speakers. However, you ask 5 different people and you'll get 5 different preferences on that.

I agree with what FesialK said.... listen to them all and make your choice based on that. If you don't like them, you can always take them back if you are buying locally.

Rolando

Screenwriter
the listening position is the couch and the couch is directly against the wall. is that too close for them to be on the back wall?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Changing the room configuration is not really possible but would it be better so I can put rears behind the couch?

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Wharfedale recommends placing them directly behind your listening position (on your back wall with your couch up against it)... so you'd be fine. Get a chance to listen to the Paradigms yet?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Anyone know what the warranty is like if I buy these online? I am in Canada, if I buy from Amazon or buy.com am I covered?

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
I contacted Wharfedale directly. They told me that if I had my receipt (regardless of where it was from) all my speakere were covered. I highly recommend listening to your choice before you buy online... so you make well informed decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.