Yet another HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ericSchirm, Dec 10, 2003.

1. ericSchirm

ericSchirm Agent

Oct 17, 2003
    So many choices! I am moving into a new house this week and need a new 5.1 or 6.1 speaker setup. This is for our main two-story family room (16' x 20' x 20'). My receiver is a Kenwood 6070. I would like slim towers (no more than 8" wide x 13" deep) with maybe bookshelf sized surrounds BUT my better half wants small sats (I am worried that Sats won't fill the big room). I need to stay in the $300- $600 budget for the complete package.

I have been looking at the following speakers and would like to run these by the experts before I pull the trigger. What would you choose or avoid?

Onkyo/Wharfedale/Velodyne Package- $585
    3-Way Tower (Pr) Sapphire True Blue 87 Black
    2-Way Bookshelf Diamond Series 7.1 (Black)
    2-Way Center Channel Sapphire True Blue Ctr
    Onkyo TXSR500 Factory Renewed **Extra bonus
    Velodyne VX10

Hsu Ventriloquist System $250 plus STF-1 sub $299 Total $550
    Acoustic Research ARHC6 $390
    JBL NSP1 $200 plus Dayton 10” sub $125 Total $325
    Klipsch Quintet $350 plus Dayton 10” sub $125 Total $475
    Energy Take 5.2 - $475 or $630 with sub Total $630

OR Onkyo Dolby® Digital EX/DTS®-ES 6.1-Channel Home Theater System $500 (I could always use another receiver)

I have tried to price shop but if y'all know of any better deals please give me a heads up. OR if anyone in the Atlanta area is ready to upgrade I might be interested in buying your used system.

I currently have a mismatched system (Cerwin Vega AT12 fronts, Boston VR10 center and Infinity bookshelf surrounds).

Thanks for you time.
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    I recently picked up Onkyo SR501 6.1 recievers with component video switching for like $180 at ecost.

I did get an AR 12" powered sub as well for $120....

As far as speakers goes, It really does come down to what you really like. I know I love the JBL s38's myself for the money.

It will be interesting to see what you decide on it all.
  3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Aug 13, 2003
    I like the Klipsch Quintets personally and own them myself. Don't think I would go any other way with a budget but if you need to save money the JBL NSP1 are probably your best bet.