What's new

Westworld Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm very encouraged by season 3 after this opening episode. The characters, especially Aaron Paul, definitely add some needed flavor. The production design, as previously mentioned, was just overwhelming. Such great touches, and augmentation to pieces of L.A.'s existing skyline. I wonder if the fact the western set burned down if that affected where the storyline went, focusing more on an entirely different West World... Los Angeles.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Loved Season One. I really did not like Season Two.

I started watching the first 20 minutes of Ep1 of Season Three yesterday but was interrupted by local coronavirus news.

So far not really impressed. Don't really know what is going on. It's very odd.

Plan to finish the episode today and will get back to you.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Season 3 is very different so far. Hopefully it'll be more comprehendible than season 2 was.

I am having a lot of trouble getting through this first episode.

Watched 15 minutes. Turned it off. Another 15 minutes today and turned it off.

I feel like I should be liking this, but for some reason, it's an absolute about-face from everything that came before it.

I am going to keep an eye on this thread. I'll let you fine folks be guinea pigs. If it gets better, let me know and I'm back in!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
The credits indicated filming in Singapore and Spain.

Yes they were here in Singapore. It was oddly disconcerting to see bits of my own city up on screen for once, in a big-budget American production. Even more 'jarring' when they cut from one scene obviously located here, to one that obviously was not. Now I kinda get the idea what LA or NYC natives feel when they watch shows set in their city.

As an aside, when we first see Aaron Paul wake up in his room, that view out his window is Singapore. The tall set of blocks connected by walkways up top and mid-way are unsurprisingly apartments. Would you believe those are technically public housing? Google The Pinnacle @ Duxton

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Yes they were here in Singapore. It was oddly disconcerting to see bits of my own city up on screen for once, in a big-budget American production. Even more 'jarring' when they cut from one scene obviously located here, to one that obviously was not. Now I kinda get the idea what LA or NYC natives feel when they watch shows set in their city.

As an aside, when we first see Aaron Paul wake up in his room, that view out his window is Singapore. The tall set of blocks connected by walkways up top and mid-way are unsurprisingly apartments. Would you believe those are technically public housing? Google The Pinnacle @ Duxton

This article highlights some of the locations.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/film-tv/a31822923/westworld-season-3-filming-locations/

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think it's fantastic. 2 episodes in. It's one of those shows you just go along for the ride and hope they get the payoff right.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
The plotlines are a lot clearer this season; maybe that's just my simple brain responding, but it's working.

I think so too. I like watching the making of afterwards. They help clarify things too. The set paces are incredible. And that home in the cement factory, fantastic! According to the making of...It was a real home.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think the narrative is clearer. The absence (to date anyway) of a fragmented narrative in terms of time is helping. We do get a flashback sequence of sorts in the second episode while Bernard is running a diagnostic, but it is clear what is happening.

Enjoyed the second episode quite a bit. Nice to see some old faces from season one return even if only for a while. Continue to love the production design of the series, from the costuming, sets, and the MG T-Type (which was frickin' sweet.) Visually still hitting a high mark.

Drogon says hi!

Best line of the night belonged to Stubbs - "You could've just asked."

- Walter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The short “making of” after the 2nd episode mentioned that there had been references to GOT in earlier seasons, but I don’t remember them. Does anyone know what they were?

I wish the GOT dragon was more than a cameo.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The short “making of” after the 2nd episode mentioned that there had been references to GOT in earlier seasons, but I don’t remember them. Does anyone know what they were?

I wish the GOT dragon was more than a cameo.

I think one of the characters had a pin reminiscent of a pin worn in GOT. I have never watched GOT, but that rings a bell with me. I think it was around the scene where William became the MiB and embraced evil.

Here you go:

I may have gotten the scene wrong, but it was a pin.

https://www.bustle.com/articles/197...n-westworld-was-subtle-but-could-be-a-clue-to

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So, the big question (or one of the big questions) from episode three is:

Which host is resident in Charlotte Hale? My first impression was that it was Teddy, due to the emotional connection between Dolores and the mystery guest in Charlotte form. Af the episode progressed and Hale became more aggressive, I thought this was less likely and now I am beginning to think that it is Dolores' papa Peter Abernathy.

Do we know the identities of the 'orbs' that were smuggled out of the park? I don't recall any clear enumeration of the orbs; and I haven't bothered to look online. (Sort of feels like cheating. :) )

There was an interesting parallel in body language with Charlotte spooning her son Nathan and later Dolores offering similar comfort to Charlotte. The series is certainly using contrasting images as part of its visual shorthand. One of the more prominent motifs was Charlotte in white juxtaposed against Dolores in black.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the Riot Control bot in action. Pretty awesome watching it unfold. (Somebody's been watching Transformers. :) )

Continue to love the production design with the boxy ambulance with the external signage and the police cruiser. As I posted before, it sure is a pretty, shiny world despite its flaws.

We get a little clearer insight into Dolores' motives and her goals. Still waiting on the 'man in black' to show up. I suspect he will play into the attempted takeover of Delos by the enigmatic Serac.

Really enjoying the season so far and a nice distraction from the real world at the moment.

- Walter.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Which host is resident in Charlotte Hale?

I think there are a few possibilities:
  1. Teddy. It would fit with Dolores' protectiveness. It would undo the character development from last season, however.
  2. Clementine. Charlotte's body language--especially as she is coming online at the start of the episode--invokes a lot of Clementines mannerisms.
  3. Dolores. Go with me here. Dolores is in Charlotte, and Wyatt is in Dolores. This would fit with the comment Dolores makes to Charlotte--something like "remember I own you" (sadly I deleted my recording and can't double check).
The series is certainly using contrasting images as part of its visual shorthand. One of the more prominent motifs was Charlotte in white juxtaposed against Dolores in black.

The black/white motif is, at times, even more nuanced. In episode two we see Dolores in the black dress standing at her bathroom mirror. However we're actually seeing a reflection of that image in another mirror that has a white frame (white outline with a black centre). In the same episode we see Maeve in a white dress standing in front of a mirror that has a black frame (black outline with a white centre).

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think there are a few possibilities:
  1. Teddy. It would fit with Dolores' protectiveness. It would undo the character development from last season, however.
  2. Clementine. Charlotte's body language--especially as she is coming online at the start of the episode--invokes a lot of Clementines mannerisms.
  3. Dolores. Go with me here. Dolores is in Charlotte, and Wyatt is in Dolores. This would fit with the comment Dolores makes to Charlotte--something like "remember I own you" (sadly I deleted my recording and can't double check).

The black/white motif is, at times, even more nuanced. In episode two we see Dolores in the black dress standing at her bathroom mirror. However we're actually seeing a reflection of that image in another mirror that has a white frame (white outline with a black centre). In the same episode we see Maeve in a white dress standing in front of a mirror that has a black frame (black outline with a white centre).

This article makes a case for Angela.

https://nerdist.com/article/who-is-pretending-to-be-charlotte-on-westworld/

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't considered Clementine or Angela; but I think there is a case for either of them. The 'guess the orb inhabiting the host' game sort of reminds me in some ways of trying to figure out the identities of the 'Final Five' in the reboot of Battlestar Galactica. Not precisely the same, but something to keep the audience guessing and looking for clues.

To Josh's point - I had noticed the black and white symbology in episode two; certainly in terms of costuming.

- Walter.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My guess is its Angela due to her status as Dolores's right hand woman last season. However, Wyatt completely severing herself from Dolores is the kind of painfully dumb explanation you expect from Westworld so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case either.

Ok other than Wyatt is actually Ford himself or something.

Last edited:

Dale124

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale C.
My wife and I really liked season 1, thought season 2 was just ok, and do not like season 3. There is a pattern there. We were watching episode 3 on Friday night,and half way in we both agreed that we would no longer continue. Perhaps I'm not smart enough to follow along with what is going on, maybe we are supposed to read between extremely thin lines, or are expected to connect the dots somehow, but I was completely lost on what the hell was going on. Also, if any of you have this playing through your home theatre, did you notice how the music score overwhelms the scene's audio, drowning out the voices, etc?
Anyway, I have cancelled any upcoming PVR recordings, I'm sorry to say.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see Katja Herbers back, even in a limited capacity. Looks like the trend of bringing back old faces continues in this episode with the reintroduction of Musashi.

Interesting reveal of who was hosting Charlotte, which raises the question of who is in the other body? Definitely a nice head fake by the show's writers. Could the 'pearls' contain multiple instances of the same identity, permitting a host to have multiple manifestations in different vessels simultaneously?

Is William himself or not? The visions seem to suggest not, but with this series it is difficult to say. This episode blurred the lines more than the prior episodes of season three.

DIdn't quite understand the whole interaction with Connells, Dempsey, Bernard, and Caleb at the car. I guess whomever is hosting Connells wanted to be alone with Bernard. (?)

- Walter.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Walter, I think you might have missed it: all of the pearls were Dolores, she made copies of herself. She had a quick line in there about if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks