What's new

Well that's a bit of an upgrade (1 Viewer)

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Mac Studio arrived today. The difference in the Geekbench GPU benchmark compared to my Mac mini is almost comical.

(I did have an RX580 eGPU for the mini but found that to be a pretty clunky solution)

geekbenchi5.jpg
geekbenchaarch.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Nice. I am still using an ancient Mac Mini for my day to day stuff; so I kind of live vicariously, in terms of computer stuff, on the forum. :)

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Very impressive, Greg! You have quite a powerful desktop in front of you

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
This is a good comparison of the current Mac Mini vs Mac Studio:

For my purposes, I'd buy an M1 Mac Mini instantly -- except for its limit of 2TB internal storage vs. the 8TB SSD max of a Mac Studio, which is what I want (and will use -- just for my photo / video library -- not including my movie/music/music video collection for which I need 60TB -- meaning either an external RAID or a MacPro with massive internal storage possible)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hey, @Greg.K, have you used it (much) to run Windoze stuff in emulation?

Curious just how well it performs for Windoze emulation...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is a good comparison of the current Mac Mini vs Mac Studio:

For my purposes, I'd buy an M1 Mac Mini instantly -- except for its limit of 2TB internal storage vs. the 8TB SSD max of a Mac Studio, which is what I want (and will use -- just for my photo / video library -- not including my movie/music/music video collection for which I need 60TB -- meaning either an external RAID or a MacPro with massive internal storage possible)

Seriously, why not just an M.2 drive in a TB enclosure for that storage instead of it needing to be internal?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Today my Mac Studio has suddenly been throwing kernel panics and rebooting, so it looks like a trip to the Genius bar is in my near future. Going to try a clean OS install first though.

Hey, @Greg.K, have you used it (much) to run Windoze stuff in emulation?

Curious just how well it performs for Windoze emulation...

_Man_
No, and I’m not aware of a good way to run Windows (other than ARM Windows under Parallels, which I don’t have much interest in).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks