What's new

Well, it's time for me to upgrade subs.. can I get some help? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
It sounds to me that Nathan may be looking at getting a car sub in one of those cheap-ass prefab carpeted boxes that most car audio retailers sell. Most of these boxes are made with 1/2" MDF or 3/4" particle board and they charge you $100 for the damn things. Why anyone would want this in a HT system is beyond me. Any decent 12" would blow it apart. He'd be better off asking the shop to just build him a square 1ft^3 enclosure out of 3/4" MDF and just paint it.
I do know a guy locally that sells prefab boxes made from 3/4" MDF that he gets from a supplier in Canada. He sells a 1ft^3 enclosure for $60. He actually told me that he can't build one for that price (assuming he's paying one of his guys to build it and carpet it).
Brian
------------------
[Edited last by Brian Bunge on September 19, 2001 at 10:05 PM]

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I apologize for my rant, though there is truth to it!
Nathan,
Your question, or questions would seem to apear to be somewhat unclear a best. You want suggestions for 12 ich driver, ok we can do that.
===================
1) How much can you spend?
2) Are you going to use it in HT or in a car?
3) If HT, room size.
4) Are you buying a pre-built box or building one? If so what is the size and design of that box?
5) What kind of power will you be useing?
6) What type of bass are you looking for, loud, deep, kick drum slam, etc?
===================
All these questions would have a bearing on what could be suggested for you!
The only questions you answered I belive are....
1) I like car subs.
2) Looks like you implied HT use.
3) Room size 11x12.
If can give answers to questions 4
5 and 6 ----- Clear solid suggestios could be given to your query.......
As you can see many here have come in a tried as the may to help, even though your posts, have been unclear at best. A few here are into car and HT sub building and would be able to offer ~ (good real use educated help, when the nessary information is given)!
Im sure you want the best bass you can get for your type of use and hard earned dollars, right!
So if your not too peeved try again giveing a little more info (questions 4-6 answered) and I anyway will give it shot! Others may im sure too. There are alot of affordable car drivers out there that can be used for different stuff but info is needed to make a smart and proper choice. Other wise we can guess all day giveing you a bazillon driver suggestion and what >YOU decied to put that driver in could be a big disapointment

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, This might throw you off a bit but here goes..
I have been thinking and have decided to chose a nice powered sub.
Here's what I want in it:
1. Price below $200
2. I want to be able to distinguish it's sound.. i.e. the crappy one I have now, instead of making individual sounds it's one big cloudy sound that gets louder and softer.
3. Loud would be pretty good especially for watching movies like "The Patriot" and "Saving Private Ryan"
4. My HT room is 13X13 no 11X12. Sorry, wrong measurements..
5. Maybe a 80-200 watt subwould be nice!
Thanks,
Nathan
P.S.
HOME THEATER NOT CAR
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, This might throw you off a bit but here goes..
I have been thinking and have decided to chose a nice powered sub.
Here's what I want in it:
1. Price below $200
2. I want to be able to distinguish it's sound.. i.e. the crappy one I have now, instead of making individual sounds it's one big cloudy sound that gets louder and softer.
3. Loud would be pretty good especially for watching movies like "The Patriot" and "Saving Private Ryan"
4. My HT room is 13X13 no 11X12. Sorry, wrong measurements..
5. Maybe a 80-200 watt subwould be nice!
6. It should be very durable
Thanks,
Nathan
P.S.
HOME THEATER NOT CAR
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I have an Audiobahn 12" in my car and it hits super hard! I measured 120dB's (in car) at moderate levels. I'm sure it could hit 125-130. Also, JL audio is a great sub. If you have a strong AMP then go with Audiobahn, if you only have 100W/ch then go with JL audio 12-W0. You may be able to find them cheap on ebay.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Nathan,
Are you looking to build your own powered subwoofer or buy a store bought product?
If your going to build your own, dose your current sub have built in Amp??? and if so what is the brand and how much power is it rated at???? If not what are you useing to power it and how much power is it????
Reason being, is that you might be able to use it in the sub your going to build.....( Maybe), as im unclear about the question asked above, store bought or build your own. This would help to cut costs and offer better driver choices, as 200.00 for a complete sub, wood, driver, amp and possible port will add up. If you have 100 watts or so allready into 8-ohms (your current sub) I think you can have what you desire, better bass, much better, for under 200.00 for sure.
So lets start here, answering these questions.
I would also suggest you start a thread in the DIY are with all your last posted info and answers to these questions. ~ Over there you will get many more responses. This is if you are looking to build your own powered sub and not buy a store bought unit.
Another possible route and cheap cost wise~~~~~is
If your not interested in building your own box, and THIS WILL BE part of the job, Parts Express currently is selling a 10" 100watt slot loaded sub wooffer for 99.00, suggested retail over 200.00 apiece) and stated freq response down to 30hz. Two of these would fall into your budget and 90% of all movies deep bass falls in at or above this.
So two of these stackedin a corner should shake your room substansualy! I cant comment on how they sound, though thier know to sell quailty products and stand behind them. Go to Link Removed
You might want to take a look.
Geoff
[Edited last by Geoff L on September 20, 2001 at 10:49 PM]
[Edited last by Geoff L on September 20, 2001 at 10:52 PM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Geoff-
I want to go ahead and buy a store bought already made powered sub..
I'm gonna go ahead and plug it into the subwofer out on my system.
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Well my goodness, alot of mumbo jumbo for nothing! :)
Next time start your post more clearly,,,,, something like--- {Looking for best cheap powered sub suggestions}
You may want to look at the www.PartsExpress.com 10" thing above, Though I have seen nothing posted on them as of yet). I think this could be a good choice for you at your budget (200.00) and haveing two powered 10's might offer a little tighter bass, and with both subs corner loaded will yield an aproximent natural 6db gain in volume. They use a Dayton driver, a well known sud driver manufacture.
(Im guessing, but the tune of the PE and Sony are probley very close, 30hz). Only a guess as have seen no in room measurment to go from.
Also the Sony 12" ~SWMA-40 150 watt~ (I belive it is), has quite a following in the lower dollar subwoofer end of things. Do a search on (Sony sub). There a some minor mods people have been doing and getting better results. Filling with poly fill and slab under it, are some. Can be had for around 150.00 or less on the net, or threw a Sears iternet price match.
Others may offer some ideas but your 200.00 budget is going to limit your choices substansually.
If this is all you can spend, I think I would give the PE subs a shot, thier return policey is excellent, just check the shippng charge as you would be out that if you returned them because you where unhappy!!! Based simply on the fact you could have two allowing to play louder with less strain and that they are 10's might offer a tighter sound, This is only speculation. Stacked in a corner, the natural volume gain is not speculation this will occur.
Good luck,
Geoff
[Edited last by Geoff L on September 21, 2001 at 01:03 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks