What's new

Well, it's time for me to upgrade subs.. can I get some help? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,
I'm upgrading my subwoofers from 2 cheap 160 watt subs to something bigger and better..
I'm a big user of cars subs so I'd like for people to recommend those..
Remember I need 2 of them, both 12" subs...
Howabout those "Competition Subwoofers" with double stacked magnets and like 700 watts rms... Are they for real or a bunch of hot air?
Ohh, one more thing and it's the saddest,
They room my HT is in is 11X12
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Most of the DIY subwoofer discussion is in the "DIY and Advanced HT topics" area. You may get more feedback there. I think the most recommendations are for the Adire Shiva.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What's the budget?
I can certainly tell you what I think would be your best bet, but they probably won't be "car subwoofers" for "competitions". Is there a particular car sub you're considering?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on September 18, 2001 at 02:25 PM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
I'm looking to spend about $100 on ebay.. but $100 on ebay is different than buying it retail because stuff on ebay is alot cheaper..
I'm looking into Cerwin-Vega and Jensen... some off-brand's wouldn't bother me...
Thanks,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking to spend about $100 on ebay.. but $100 on ebay is different than buying it retail because stuff on ebay is alot cheaper..
I'm looking into Cerwin-Vega and Jensen... some off-brand's wouldn't bother me...
Well, as far as a real HT sub is concerned, those are off-brands. I have no idea what you'd find on e-bay, but if you see something and can post the specs, I'd try to help.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Those are offbrands???
No way,
Oh well,
What would you guys suggest for my size room?
I just want to keep a nice sound and I don't want to bottom out...
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Nathan,
I suggest you read the running CAR sub thread in the DIY section. Read carefully.
In short the brands you mentioned are well known in car audio, BUT would not be your best bet for a good HT sub. Yes you can use them but there are much better choices!
Nearly all car subs are designed by thier manufacturer to take into consideration the natural cabin gain you get in any type of automobile. This gives most, not all, a much higher FS than HT designed subs and still allows you to get deep extension in your car!
Some car subs are sutable for HT use, but most are rather costly. Audiomobiles Mass, PT's ICBM, MA-Audio maw series, and others. All close to or exceeding 200.00 per 12" driver. If you want deep extension and quailty sound, better drivers for HT use can be had much cheaper and perform much better.
If your looking for 30hz and up, with decent spl, yes many a car driver could be bought cheap threw e-bay will do.
So if you find something you like be sure you have its ~PARAMETERS~ and some of us will surly try to help you. Bring this info and post in the DIY area.
Again read the current CAR SUB thread in the DIY area as much will be explained as to why most car drivers dont get it for HT sub design. It will also help you to understand what to look for in a driver for HT design and use. There are many wise people lurking there that can help with any and all your soon to be asked questions...
:)
Regards
Geoff

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Ok,
Any HT subs you can suggest to me besides Shiva?
I really don't want to do shiva because you have to build that special box..
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Special box?
There is nothing different required for a Shiva's box than for any other driver. Just some variations on how big the box has to be to get the desired performance (which again depends on whether you choose sealed, ported, passive radiator or bandpass).
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Zane Johnson

Agent
first off, Jenson is not a very well made product, there pretty "el cheopo" crap, in other words.. don't buy a Jenson sub... Vega isn't so bad.. not the greatest but not so bad... the best thing you could do is to buy a Shiva or a Tempest, both are GREAT drivers, and dirt cheap compared to other stuff of that quality...but if your completely set on a car sub, at least get a good one... PPI, JL, ID, Digital Design, Audiobahn.. those are all well made "car" subs...
------------------

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I gota get me one of those special boxes.
There is so much more to it than that!
That special ~ box is one that is designed for a given driver for a given type of perfomance.
Do a search in the DIY area for the (Shiva) and read! Hell with the driver, you need to begin to understand the basics of sub building for HT. What, why, when, how come, how much, etc and on and on. Theres no free lunch. Do some homework....
Many want and like to help, but seems alot of times it goes unheard. So often many new DIY ask but dont listen. The knowledge in the DIY area is VAST and many want to help, but you have to listen to learn.
You can do >ALOT< with little, but you have to understand how it all works and why.
I know this sounds a little strong or maybe harsh and it's not ment directly for or at you!
A cheaper car sub could be used but you have to undersand what your doing, and the reason things work they way they do. Do some reading and feel free to ask questions about what you might have trouble understanding.
The idea of buying a cheap sub and throwing it any ol box is going to reap terrible results.
OK>I done now~
biggrin.gif

Regards
Geoff
[Edited last by Geoff L on September 19, 2001 at 07:49 AM]

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Instead of trying to convince you to do something else, i will take a novel approach and just answer your question! I will recommend using Image Dynamics Subs, especially the IDQ series. A 12" can be had online for the 120 range. I am currently using an IDQ10 in my passat wagon in about a 1ft3 box. Using a tiny soundstream Angina amp it absolutely pounds, but is really smooth and goes much lower than my previous 2 10" JL audio drivers. It actually has quite a high xmax and lower fs than the shiva. It wouldn't go quite as low or loud as a shiva, but in a car, cabin gain adds quite a bit to the response.
I have never used the huge new subs put out by fosgate and the others, but would stay away from sony, kenwood, pioneer, etc. and stick with what you see in the iasca winning cars.
(Just so you know, I am currently almost finished with a shiva 85L sealed box for my HT, so I am not anti-adire audio.)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Stephen--
That's exactly what I wanted to hear!!!
You hit the nail right on the head..
I don't want to build a sub, just buy one...
Thanks,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Stephen--
Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to hear..
you hit the nail right on the head.
I DO NOT want to build a sub, just buy one.
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Fwiw, I put an SVS 20-39cs/Samson 700 in a room that measures 11.5 x 12 x 8.
It's not too much sub.
------------------
--RR
[Edited last by Rick Radford on September 19, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
quote: Thats EXACTLY what I wanted to hear..
you hit the nail right on the head.
I DO NOT want to build a sub, just buy one.
[/quote]
Your original post was unclear, you seemed to want recommendations on drivers. What exactly did you want to hear?
Is what Stephen recommended a complete sub with box? Or did he recommend drivers (that need a box)? He actually seems to be recommending drivers for car use (cabin gain, etc.), rather than for home use. Like here:
quote: It wouldn't go quite as low or loud as a shiva, but in a car, cabin gain adds quite a bit to the response.[/quote]
In a room, a "car sub " can't rely on that.
Why does the Shiva need a "special box"? Is it important that you use a "car sub", or do you just want the best 12" ht driver for the money?
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on September 19, 2001 at 09:44 PM]

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
If you can find them, I heard 2 decent hometheater subs using the old round Kicker Solobaric 12C...(realize, that they did have some major eq'ing necessary)
The S12D solobaric is very similar and probably would be great in a DIY job. You can get those on EBAY sometimes, but they might be a little over budget.
------------------
Have you seen my audio rack?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks