What's new

Well, I think it's time to upgrade... (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well...argh...the upgrade bug has bitten me. I've been selling Home Electronics Products (and nearly everything else in the store; just recently got promoted to sales), and I've been looking back at the HT gear sometimes during my breaks and lunch. Unfortunately, that doesn't bode well for my now insatiable hunger for HT upgrades!

Anyway, for my receiver I've decided on the following:

The Onkyo TXSR601 Receiver

For the speakers, I've decided on the Infinity Primus 250 2-way Dual 5.25" floorstanding speakers for my mains and the Primus C25 for my Center Channel. Unfortunately, for the matching black surround channels, I may have to order them online (or go elsewhere) as they don't carry them where I work. Oh, well.

What do you folks think of this setup? I'm currently running a Kenwood HTB-504 (which has served me well for the past several years) for the audio portion of my home theater and I think it's about time to upgrade. Oh, and of course, I'm going to add an SVS Subwoofer at last!!! The 20-39 PCi. Hehehe. Buwahahahaha-hoo-hoo-buwahahahahaaaaaa! :D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
I saw this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=200245

If you are going to use the 601 with Paradigm Studios then you should rethink that. The Studios are pretty power hungry and given Onkyo's inability to produce decent power output out of their receivers then I'd strongly consider adding a power amp to the Onkyo suggestion or go another route.

If you are indeed going with the Studios then buy an external amp to go with your Onkyo(if you are set on that receiver).

Also the Sigs are that much better too. If you want those, I'd forgo the idea of a receiver all together.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Shane- Thanks for the input! Which receiver do you think would be the best match for the Studio 100s + other speakers? I'm planning on also auditioning the Signature series as well.

And what brings up your comment about getting rid of the receiver if I get the Sigs?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well the Sigs I heard at ok volume sent the Yamaha flagship into clipping quickly. While they are not an a low ohm load, they crave the power even moreso than the Studios. The Sigs are also double the price and at that price point you are already assumed to have top tier equipment(aka no receiver).

Either way if you are going to go with that level of speaker, you should consider a higher level of equipment to go with it.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Shane- The unfortunate thing is, I've finally been able to find prices on the Paradigm setups (audioreview.com) and it looks like I won't be able to afford them after all. At first I thought they'd only be around $1000 total for the pair of speakers. I'm looking to spend $2000 max on my audio system upgrade (for the whole system) with at least $1000 on speakers. The only Paradigm dealer in my area won't allow prices over the phone (and I can't make the drive out them for awhile), so it has been relatively frustrating shopping around.

Oh, well. I'll still find a great set of speakers in my price range. I'm seriously taking a look at Infinity's and Klipsch's line of speakers.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Listen to everything you can and decide. If you like the Paradigms but can't afford them then starting saving. Some folks just can't live w/o.

Brandon A

Agent
Take a look at the Paradigm Monitor series. I'm in a similar situation as you, working on building up my system. I got a refurbished Onkyo601 and am running Monitor 7s from it, awaiting the CC350.

If you only have $2000 total, there is no way you can get the studio series, with those speakers comes upgrades in everything else as others have mentioned. If you want to spend $1000 on speakers, I'd definitely recommend looking at the Monitor series, unfortunately there aren't any places in the OC to hear them (I looked). I'm going to school down there but am back home for the summer, I'll have to keep a watch on what you get and maybe stop by next fall for a demo? :D

Good luck.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

That sucks. From the obvious standpoint, as well as the fact that if they're the only dealer in your area, they'll be less likely to give you a discount since they have little competition. Nevertheless, it might be worth a try.

As an interim solution though, why not spend some good money on solid amplification now, so when you move up to the Studios later you have the amps to power them. I know this seems backwards, but the Studios aren't going to sound great with a smaller receiver, and you'll probably be happier with less expensive speakers which will sound better through better amplification. My Rotel 1075 powers Energy Veritas 2.1 mains, but it also powers the remaining 3 speakers, which are from the small Take 5.2 setup. You'll notice the difference even with less expensive speakers.

BTW, the Rotel 1075 can be had used for ~$800USD. Find an inexpensive receiver ~$250-300 to act as a preamp for the time being, and spend the rest on speakers. Alternatively, the RSX-1055 receiver can be had for ~$1000, maybe even less...that'd be a great choice to start with, and maybe add extra amps to it later (a 2ch amp added to L/R would be the first logical step, and aside from improving Stereo sound, it enables you to go 7.1).

My friend has a Primus setup, and it's quite good. Good bang for the buck.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Well, I just got my new Onkyo TX-SR601 Receiver today at work. :D

Man, this is exciting. Now to get my room measurements, get SVS's recommendations, and place an order for my first SVS Subwoofer. :emoji_thumbsup:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Also www.theaudioinsider.com . Internet direct speakers offer amazing bang for the buck, especially the Swans and Rockets from The Audio Insider and AV123 (respectively). If you're going to be using an SVS sub and this is mainly for HT there's no real reason to use floorstanding main speakers. I would say a setup of 4 Swan 2.1s, a C3, your 601 receiver, and a PB1-ISD or 25-31PCi (tuned to 22hz by svs free of charge) would be very very tough to beat under $2k. If you MUST have floorstanding mains then you could probably still get 4.1 mains, 2.1 surrounds, and C3 center along w/ your 601 and one of those 2 SVS subs for right at or slightly over $2k (depending on how much your receiver was).

I have 4.1 mains, 2.1 surround, a DIY AV12 sub (think somewhere between a PC+ and Ultra), and a Pioneer Elite 43TX receiver. If given to do over again I would have saved the $200 and got 2.1s for mains as well because my listening is purely HT. Would have also made it easier to upgrade to 7.1 by adding 5.2s for the mains and using all 4 2.1s in the back, but now I'll probably have to stick w/ 5.1 for awhile because selling the 4.1s would be a pain if it wasn't done locally.

Hope this helps :)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Too many choices man...

I am hitting an HK 630 in a 20 foot by 12 foot rooom. Music is very important to me as is HT, of course.

What do you think about that circumstance?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks