Weighting a Driver cone (AV12)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndyHangartner, Oct 19, 2003.

1. AndyHangartner

AndyHangartner Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone experimented with adding mass to the cone of the driver? WinISP cad offers this possibility in their program, and it seems it would flatten the response and add power handling capabilities to the AV12 Mini Thunder. Any significant adverse effects that might occur?
    andy

2. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I wouldn't add weight to a subwoofer for two reasons. The first is the ability to add the weight perfectly centre. If you added the weight even slightly off centre it could cause the woofer to sound distorted at high volumes due to the added non-linear cone movement caused by the mass not being distributed evenly.

Second you would infact lose spl and only gain a lower resonant frequency.

Not familiar with your alignment but I have two av12's each sealed in a 1 cube enclosure. I don't hit the extreme lows but they can put out a healthy dose of bass above 25hz. Around 115db corner loaded with music material(rap/hip-hop) with my spl metre. I used one at first and it seemed to handle power quite well. I soft clipped my 1000watt amp running it 4ohms. not even a hiccup.

3. AndyHangartner

Shawn,
    this is Strykes basic design. With a Rythmik 380 and -10 reference(of course calibrated), with the rumble filter at 20 and the damping at high, the av12 makes a quick 'clack' during the THX opening in AOTC.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jack,

Check your PM![​IMG]

5. AndyHangartner

Jack,
    whats the weight on your PR's?
    andy

6. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Jack,
    How do they sound compared to the sealed version I believe you had? I find the bass of the sealed strykes excellent(nicer than the BP1503 I have) just not enough low 20hz bass. I might try a 3-3.5cuft tuned to around 20hz with the stryke PRs.