What's new

Weighting a Driver cone (AV12) (1 Viewer)

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone experimented with adding mass to the cone of the driver? WinISP cad offers this possibility in their program, and it seems it would flatten the response and add power handling capabilities to the AV12 Mini Thunder. Any significant adverse effects that might occur?
andy

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't add weight to a subwoofer for two reasons. The first is the ability to add the weight perfectly centre. If you added the weight even slightly off centre it could cause the woofer to sound distorted at high volumes due to the added non-linear cone movement caused by the mass not being distributed evenly.

Second you would infact lose spl and only gain a lower resonant frequency.

Not familiar with your alignment but I have two av12's each sealed in a 1 cube enclosure. I don't hit the extreme lows but they can put out a healthy dose of bass above 25hz. Around 115db corner loaded with music material(rap/hip-hop) with my spl metre. I used one at first and it seemed to handle power quite well. I soft clipped my 1000watt amp running it 4ohms. not even a hiccup.

AndyHangartner

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn,
this is Strykes basic design. With a Rythmik 380 and -10 reference(of course calibrated), with the rumble filter at 20 and the damping at high, the av12 makes a quick 'clack' during the THX opening in AOTC.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Don't think mass-loading would do anything for you, certainly not in the areas you appear wanting. I've got an AV12 in 95L with two 15" PR, ~20Hz Fb, no complaints. Certain scenes are meant to bottom woofers it seems.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I haven't added any, so they're the stock 1400g. They're Lambdas, but basically the same as the Stryke 1400g models.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Jack,
How do they sound compared to the sealed version I believe you had? I find the bass of the sealed strykes excellent(nicer than the BP1503 I have) just not enough low 20hz bass. I might try a 3-3.5cuft tuned to around 20hz with the stryke PRs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I find the PR alignment to sound basically the same as sealed on most music stuff since my room has a pretty adverse effect, dwarfing any subtle differences in the subs themselves. On HT, the PR sub has a huge advantage in output and extension (except for the Stryke/LT combo). The only sub I've tried that sounds very different/better is my dipole.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks